Things go from bad to worse (and just when they were looking up)

But the transmission, he worries may either need a new filter or need a new transmission all together, as he noted it seems hesitant to slip into gear and he almost couldn’t back the car up.
Dont condemn the Torqueflight just yet!
I am glad they found the coil issue.
Sometimes the most simplest things can cause a big headache.
That being said, if the GM boys did not know--or you for that matter, the mopar trans pump does not run when in Park.
Jam it in gear while the starter is still winding down, It takes a few seconds for the front pump to build pressure especially when cold or sitting extended periods.
That's why I always start my junk in Neutral to circulate the fluid.
It's not like a Turbo 350 or any GM Hydramatic! Lol!

Still sluggish or hesitant going in reverse or first?
I would recommend a band adjustment.
Yes First and Reverse run on the same band.
Give that a try and make sure the kickdown rods are adjusted properly as it regulates fluid pressure.
I agree a new filter and fluid wont hurt.
Sure it was rebuilt..but maintained??
Again, the simplest fixes first!
Hope this helps and good luck.

Dont condemn the Torqueflight just yet!
I am glad they found the coil issue.
Sometimes the most simplest things can cause a big headache.
That being said, if the GM boys did not know--or you for that matter, the mopar trans pump does not run when in Park.
Jam it in gear while the starter is still winding down, It takes a few seconds for the front pump to build pressure especially when cold or sitting extended periods.
That's why I always start my junk in Neutral to circulate the fluid.
It's not like a Turbo 350 or any GM Hydramatic! Lol!

Still sluggish or hesitant going in reverse or first?
I would recommend a band adjustment.
Yes First and Reverse run on the same band.
Give that a try and make sure the kickdown rods are adjusted properly as it regulates fluid pressure.
I agree a new filter and fluid wont hurt.
Sure it was rebuilt..but maintained??
Again, the simplest fixes first!
Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks, will do

Seriously? Everyone makes it sound like a ponderous task
yes if you know how to work on these cars . but if you buy them and dont know how to even change the oil then you have the money to just go and buy one . but if you understand the old cars then it is fun to work on them and they become part of the family . when i say they are easy they are if you are wanting to know how things work . and with the help from the great information here on this site plus Chrysler has a manual step by step on this . so yes seriously

Well new news! After talking with the mechanic it was after all just a corroded coil, infact he said he checked the engine and everything in the engine seemed pretty sound, just that bad coil. But the transmission, he worries may either need a new filter or need a new transmission all together, as he noted it seems hesitant to slip into gear and he almost couldn’t back the car up. I trust his word, and will first check to see if it’s just a filter, as I was told the transmission had a rebuild and was only on 40 or 60 thousand miles. But I’m not worried if it needs a new transmission, because even though the big block mopar engines are hard to find, I know guys who are struggling to sell 727s

I suspect that if your trans was rebuilt 60K miles ago, it is fine. As @cbarge suggests, adjust the bands, change the filter and fluid. The 727 is a stout transmission - probably the best at the time it was manufactured - as compared the others (GM, Phord, etc.). Also, after you start the engine, put the trans in neutral to allow the pump to circulate the fluid, before you put it in any gear.

Ditto above on 60K rebuilt trans probably OK.
If the mechanic says, "rebuild", you may want a 2nd opinion.

If it has to be rebuilt, I bought an online video and rebuilt mine while playing the video in the garage.

They also said maybe new filter if I’m lucky and everyone else has said try tans x addition to the trans fluid, if so how much should I do (I also need some more tranny fluid as mine leaked some which could be causing the issue)

So the car left me stranded this afternoon, smoke rising from the carb. Let it sit called a couple mechanic buds (none of whom could agree on what’s wrong) but the one I think is the most correct said it seems I may have a valve leak. This is causing the engine to overheat, the rough and odd running at times, and the odd lack of power. The car won’t start, and is being towed tomorrow to be fixed. I. WILL. NOT. QUIT. (Even tho everyone wants me to sell)

View attachment 560591
I so sympathize. I struggled through these kinds of things for the first three years I owned my car. It's finally settling down as the gremlins one by one are exited. Keep at it!

They also said maybe new filter if I’m lucky and everyone else has said try tans x addition to the trans fluid, if so how much should I do (I also need some more tranny fluid as mine leaked some which could be causing the issue)
A low mileage rebuild really dont need an additive.
But if you really want to, use Lucas Auto trans conditioner. Half a bottle with the trans service is fine.

For the most part the car seems good, the guy at the garage said the transmission smoothed out the more it was driven (so I’m going to guess that the nuetral start post was correct as that seems most logical) and the only thing I need to work out now is carb cleaner on my linkages etc for the carb because the choke gets stuck sometimes it’s so bummed up, had my neighbor help me out today with it and we had the air cleaner off the car and the plastic ring on the carb shot up and almost hit him in the face once we got the choke unstuck, and I was freaking out by his reaction thinking he lost a finger somehow . A good laugh now but that was enough for one day.

For the most part the car seems good, the guy at the garage said the transmission smoothed out the more it was driven (so I’m going to guess that the nuetral start post was correct as that seems most logical) and the only thing I need to work out now is carb cleaner on my linkages etc for the carb because the choke gets stuck sometimes it’s so bummed up, had my neighbor help me out today with it and we had the air cleaner off the car and the plastic ring on the carb shot up and almost hit him in the face once we got the choke unstuck, and I was freaking out by his reaction thinking he lost a finger somehow . A good laugh now but that was enough for one day.
Glad to hear the trans is OK.
Happy Motoring/Mopar-ing!

Glad to hear the trans is OK.
Happy Motoring/Mopar-ing!
Thank you, still gonna have trans inspected because it had leaked a little fluid during the off season when it wasn’t being driven so. I’ve come to find the worst part about my car was I let it sit

the mopar trans pump does not run when in Park.
It's true. Ma Mopar built the Torqueflight trannies to start up in park without the pump engaged to avoid dragging against the starter. You CAN start it in neutral, but it makes the starter run hotter and it pulls more amperage thru the electric cable, which can heat it up excessively. No one likes to see smoke rising from the battery terminals, cables or the starter. I wouldn't recommend it.

Be patient. After starting it, put it in neutral and wait a few seconds before putting it in gear.

It's true. Ma Mopar built the Torqueflight trannies to start up in park without the pump engaged to avoid dragging against the starter. You CAN start it in neutral, but it makes the starter run hotter and it pulls more amperage thru the electric cable, which can heat it up excessively. No one likes to see smoke rising from the battery terminals, cables or the starter. I wouldn't recommend it.

Be patient. After starting it, put it in neutral and wait a few seconds before putting it in gear.
Thanks for that explanation on the trans pump. Good info!

these 727 trannys are one of the best ever built. glad its running better

Back