For Sale This beats the Aspen! Claimed 4k miles '81 Imp for $10.9k in MN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible. You better like doing 3D logic puzzles, locating werid parts and turning wrenches for fun. Or be named Javier.
I came sooo close to buying a quite decent 81 imperial with efi but ultimately passed on it for these reasons. It’s always a crap shoot with old cars , but I knew that when the efi caused me problems I probably wouldn’t have the wearwithall to diagnose and fix it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA COME ON STAN??????????????? If it had been converted with those milez, I might have to fly into St. Paul and go find the guy.
My point exactly.
Tha EFI didn't last 8k miles when new. Does anybody really think they won't be replacing it? The lottery has better odds.

I picked this one up a couple months ago in Minnesota. Non-running with the EFI in the trunk. Showing under 33K. Its going to get a carb, and standard electronic ignition. Very clean car with gorgeous leather.

IMPERIAL.jpg

Not that it matters now Stan but those wheel centers in Clear Chrystal iz what the Batwagon ran with. I bought the last 5 Mother had listed in her parts search. 'Bout dropped my teeth when all 5 showed up without Imperial branded into them. figured worst case I could smooth the brand out. What I got waz ah win win, Jer

Asking opinion from the members :
What are the odds of buying a a 37 year old original EFI car and expecting trouble free ownership?

The EFI may well have failed at 4k and it has been sitting in a garage someplace ever since, not likely but possible. Underside shows some black paint where it does not belong, mileage may be suspect.

Dave

My point exactly.
Tha EFI didn't last 8k miles when new. Does anybody really think they won't be replacing it? The lottery has better odds.

A wee bit over the top. I drove an EFI car regularly in the late 90s. Once I sorted all the vacuum leaks, it was fine.

what's with all of the black paint on the undercarriage and the clamps on the exhaust?
01717_4dqwbxet7ef_1200x900-jpg.jpg

Looks like somebody wrapped a rotted out header pipe with sheet metal and clamped it down. That does not happen on a 4k mileage car. Muffler looks like it is ready to go also.

Dave

what's with all of the black paint on the undercarriage and the clamps on the exhaust?
View attachment 238139

Exhaust probably rotted from the inside out from cold-start condensation.

Chrysler started doing a lot more black-out paint on the early 80s. They did underbodies and cowls. The shot below shows my '81 Mirada built at the same plant. It has underbody blackout as well.

IMG_20181219_195238.png

View attachment 238139

I wondered about those clamps as well myself. What I concluded was that the EFI malfunctioned at some point, usually due to a vacuum leak somewhere in the system, and was running the engine rich. Since those 81s had air pumps, if it was running rich and air was being fed into the catalytic converter, it might well have overheated the converter and melted it (that is an air injection tube going into the middle of the converter). So in replacing it, they might have become lazy and just clamped a new converter in place with some sort of slip pipe rather than welding one in maybe figuring it might happen again. But the rear of the converter seems normal from what we can see. So hard to tell for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back