This rubber trunk mat available for my 57 Belvedere?

Chryslers and I think DeSotos also had a rear defroster as an option. My 57 has the speaker shaped holes too and I think they are for the rear defroster. As far as I know, it was not an option on the Plymouths, but the package trays might interchange from model to model so the Plymouths would have the holes too.

It's actually mounted on the package tray in the center. That brings another question, there's 2 more ovals that could take stereo speakers, but I don't think there was then so what were they for?

On cars with a rear defrost and rear speaker, the speaker would go on one side and the air intake for the defrost on the other so they’d match. There’s a small slit right near the glass where the defrost vent would be mounted. If you had only defrost the air intake would be in the middle. Or if you only had a speaker it would be in the middle.

IMG_2226.jpeg

So the options on your car so far as I can see/know of are: sport tone trim and paint in that awesome rare wine color and white, bumper wing guards, (probably white walls - there is no way sport tone and bumper wings without white wall tires) V8, (likely auto transmission), twin mirrors, heater, radio, rear seat speaker, power steering, tinted solex glass. How close am I?

IMG_20230926_214631354.jpg

So the options on your car so far as I can see/know of are: sport tone trim and paint in that awesome rare wine color and white, bumper wing guards, (probably white walls - there is no way sport tone and bumper wings without white wall tires) V8, (likely auto transmission), twin mirrors, heater, radio, rear seat speaker, power steering, tinted solex glass. How close am I?
Yes, that's about it. Maybe day/night mirror? Apparently, power brakes were added later or at the dealer? I never did decipher this tag.

Yes, Torqueflite 3 speed auto.

On cars with a rear defrost and rear speaker, the speaker would go on one side and the air intake for the defrost on the other so they’d match. There’s a small slit right near the glass where the defrost vent would be mounted. If you had only defrost the air intake would be in the middle. Or if you only had a speaker it would be in the middle.

View attachment 658439
Yes, I see the slit.

Wow, I've owned quite a few, but I've never seen a plate like that on a 1957 Plymouth. Where is it located? Is that the tag on the firewall?

I think the day/night mirror was standard equipment on Belvedere models like the clock and full wheelcovers. You can contact FCA to get a copy of the build sheet, i think every surviving car should have this regardless of how rare or unusually optioned, it's just cool to have. So your car was not only a very attractively put together car in a rather rare color but optioned comfortably as well!

Los Angeles built cars have that data plate.
I bought this from the 70 year old grandson who's grandfather bought it in about 1960? It's been a bay area car for most/all of it's life. I just wish I could get all those service records that are gone. The odometer says 72k miles which is probably true.

It's a uniquely oddly built car, sport tone trim/paint, V8/ torqueflight, deluxe plastic steering wheel, heater, radio, rear seat speaker, safety package, solex glass, twin mirrors, and power seat! Additionally we found out it was sold here in our town when new so it sort of came home! I almost forgot, it has a parking brake warning light too.. so does mine.

Last edited:
Jeeezz that thing is in amazing shape for being a Bay Area car! A friend bought a similar car to yours but its not in the same shape.

View attachment 658612
Pictures complement a car. My car is pretty banged up too. One fin has bondo and the color match looks bad now. Also the drivers front fender or door must have been damaged because you can see an attempt to blend the paint which has orange peel. I rubbed out all of it and it looks ok but the hood is the thinnest of paint.

I agree that pics probably more often than not do flatter a car but your car is in pretty good, above average original shape. That point is clearly seen in the pics. My car is very, VERY imperfect which is why I said that it needs paint, it does. The last guy sprayed primer where there were stone chips, I've been taking it off. I'm fine with it as it is, it's honest and very imperfect. The imperfections just add character and history. I've never been one for the nut and bolt restored cars, they're nice to look at but usually aren't cars anymore.

I agree that pics probably more often than not do flatter a car but your car is in pretty good, above average original shape. That point is clearly seen in the pics. My car is very, VERY imperfect which is why I said that it needs paint, it does. The last guy sprayed primer where there were stone chips, I've been taking it off. I'm fine with it as it is, it's honest and very imperfect. The imperfections just add character and history. I've never been one for the nut and bolt restored cars, they're nice to look at but usually aren't cars anymore.
Is your engine a 301 or 318? Not sure if that makes a difference but after 500mi break in I adjusted the valves and took a compression test. They're all 100psi except for 2 that are 110psi. What are yours in psi? Most people say that's low so I wanna get it from the horse's mouths (you and others here, no offense, lol). I think I read these are NOT high compression engines.

Back