Thoughts on Automotive Styling, aka old cars are obsolete.

We are of like minds... I hope it waits until I'm gone though...

I didn't ask for your license and DOB when we met, but I should hope you've got a least couple more decades above the ground, lol.

Don't take it personally, but when I'm in Orlando I feel like the subtle handwriting is an LED billboard. Flashing. And on fire. During a hurricane.

To me modern cars are a combination of the early 50s at the front (gaping grilles) and the late 50s at the back, with lamp assemblies that become independent three-dimensional elements (Toyota C-HR, Honda Civic), just like the tail fins.

Still have to find a comparison for the sides, that nowadays just refuse to be slab. Sometimes there is so much movement there that I think: "Do those dents result from an accident or are they factory-produced?"

Last edited:
IMG_1161.JPG
I fully agree. What is really idiotic, in my opinion, is those grills are absolutely meaningless. Look closely at one; the actual air intake opening is 1/3 the total size of that ugly grill! Same for Toyotas. (Then again, they are the same company.)
Someone at Toyota styling was a big fan of Battlestar Galactica

Last night my wife and I went to get groceries after I got home from work, my old beat up ram was on the end so we took it....as we returned I sat waiting for a green so I could make my left, across from me making a right turn onto the same street I intended to proceed upon was the below truck in black.....

I turned to my wife and proclaimed "that is the most hideous thing I have ever seen, I would sooner use the $80k that truck cost as masking paper then even so much as drive that"
View attachment 262304
When did looks for trucks die? I'm not a fan of the grille or tail light treatment of the new '19 Rams, the GM's are the most hideous swamp creatures I've ever seen, d the astetics of the Ford's is not much better then the swamp Monster GM's, Toyota trucks have never been lookers, not have Nissan's, so what does that leave me?

The answer, driving my 18 year old truck and enjoying the view in my driveway and across its nose when behind the wheel. Because it's bold, brash styling became an icon for Dodge truck styling.

My 2 cents worth..

Nick

I see these new monstrosities and have visions from The Outer Limits
s-l300.jpg

Late to this thread.
I was going to make a comment about styling , but there is none cept for that F type (no convertible, sorry Scott). There was a Audi in recent years that had a similar look, but who cares I'm not buying that anyway. I blame Audi for starting this wall of light bandwagon garbage coming at me every morning. Just how many LED lights can they cram on the front of a car before the government seps in and says "no", yes it's their job to approve all this crap.
I believe that the styling departments at most car companies are filled with VP and department heads, "artist" nephews and nieces so they are not a burden on the family, hence the Battlestar Galactica and transformer copy and paste.
Lastly I am amazed that this is not considered aerodynamic.
Dave phone pics 669.jpg

Who would have thought?
It sure looks like a truck and not a transportation pod or module.

I blame Audi for starting this wall of light bandwagon garbage coming at me every morning. Just how many LED lights can they cram on the front of a car before the government steps in and says "no"

Come on, not all is bad -- look at this 2011 A4 front and headlights, and tell me the front of that car does not look good (photo courtesy AudiA4cars)? In the same vein, the Challenger (which I love) is not the only good-looking vehicle left nowadays. Even abstracting from coupes, there are some stellar examples -- cue the latest batch of Volvos (the XC60 and S60 especially) and the Mazda 6.

61-pic-of-audi-a42.jpg

Awful. Just awful. WTF are they thinking...

View attachment 263017

I do know what's behind Toyota's styling decisions. They've become the modern day Buick, meaning that they are considered a brand that appeals more to senior citizens than to the desired market of people in their 30's and 40's. The ridiculous styling and annoying commercials that try to pass the Camry off as a performance sedan are an attempt to attract younger buyers. They tried the same thing years ago with the introduction of the Scion brand, which also failed. I saw plenty of seniors cruising around in new Scions because content-wise, they were a much better deal than the regular Toyota's.

I just saw pictures of the new C8 generation of the Corvette for 2020.
Holy Jezzes, it's only getting worse. :mad:

Come on, not all is bad -- look at this 2011 A4 front and headlights, and tell me the front of that car does not look good (photo courtesy AudiA4cars)? In the same vein, the Challenger (which I love) is not the only good-looking vehicle left nowadays. Even abstracting from coupes, there are some stellar examples -- cue the latest batch of Volvos (the XC60 and S60 especially) and the Mazda 6.

View attachment 263181
That's a fancy Jeta with the hundred LED I was talking about. I don't hate the Audi styling it's just boring/appliance type. The Volvo's look better than they ever have. I like the styling on the Jeeps. The Charger/Challenger is hit and miss depending on trim and package but the body shape is good, they will most likely go wrong as they get replaced, see new Mustang, or Camaro. I don't see the facination with the BMW, Merc they just look like a longer lower bump moving on the road with no distinction other than grill. Maybe that's the thing with these grills it's the only thing besides the wall of LEDs that they can change to distinguish their bump from all the other bumps on the road.
I believe the Audi A7 sportback is the one I had a liking of.

All the sharp angles, slashes, cuts, scoops, is just pure crap to appeal to the kids who grew up with transformers.

I truly think this is a work of beauty. K. I. S. S. Form follows function.

001.jpg

All the sharp angles, slashes, cuts, scoops, is just pure crap to appeal to the kids who grew up with transformers.

I truly think this is a work of beauty. K. I. S. S. Form follows function.

View attachment 263193
If you smooth the headlight area, slope the windshields more, and remove the fins you have a modern car. Stick a ginormous grill on the front and a thousand LEDs it could be any new car.

It is simplistic beauty.

I respectfully submit that the phenomenon is not new -- cue this 1967 Monaco, which I saw for sale and photographed this morning next to an XC60. To my eyes, the similarities are surprisingly clear.

IMG_2257_anon.jpg

IMG_2260.jpeg

Last edited:
Back