Thoughts on the value of a 1959 Dodge Coronet?

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a 1959 Dodge Coronet. There don't seem to be a lot of those out there for sale. I've seen a few 4 door cars that run and drive for around $8-12k. As expected, 2 door cars are more expensive. So what is a fair price for a 2 or 4 door that does not run and needs an engine rebuild and maybe some floor/trunk repairs?

Thanks!!

Would that be for a 4 door? Or does that also include the 2 door version? I know when the cars are completely restored, the 2 door versions seem to be worth about double the 4 door version. Thanks.

I would say both for me.
I prefer 4 doors so I don't put a premium price on a 2 door.
That's just what I would pay.

I'd suggest the Forward Look Network - they'd know where one might be. I think the 4-door sedan cars of that era have a nice roofline, and you can't beat them for solidness, either. Good luck with the search.

I've been thinking about buying a 1959 Dodge Coronet. There don't seem to be a lot of those out there for sale. I've seen a few 4 door cars that run and drive for around $8-12k. As expected, 2 door cars are more expensive. So what is a fair price for a 2 or 4 door that does not run and needs an engine rebuild and maybe some floor/trunk repairs?

Thanks!!

I've had my share of finned mopars over the last 20 years and also a long time member at forwardlook.net They have all come and gone except for one that I've kept over the years my 58 plymouth 2 door hardtop, yes red and white just like Christine lol! You are spot on about the $ with the more doors $8-12 K. In regards to the 2 door hardtops, expect to pay anywhere from $12-18K+ for complete basket cases (RUSTY) needing full restoration. A driver level car, not perfect but well worn in with age but mechanically in good order around $22-35k+ and perfect fully restored cars with no flaws 40K-100K+ Mainly the six figure cars are the convertible models.

Last edited:
However, I have noticed prices falling slightly for these finned cars as unfortunately interest in them is declining so you may have opportunities to buy one at a reasonable price soon.

If your interested I found this opportunity at the mopar spring fling. The guy was asking $4,500 and it’s a 2 door hardtop beautiful 1959 Desoto!

She may still be available, but it’s definitely a project car. Cool factor 10 out of 10!

IMG_3780.jpeg

IMG_3779.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

That's a nice DeSoto. I think that model came with the 361. As long as the frames are good, I was never too worried about the floors. They can be had from several different model donor cars. You want to do them right, but they don't need a lot of bodywork. Just some quality seam sealer after welding them in. That car could be made into a nice driver. As far as the 4 door Dodge goes, we could give you a better idea on the price if you had some pictures.

59 Dodges are super hot sh*t overseas... I wouldn't expect to get a 2 door for anywhere near 2500, I wouldn't expect to find one for less then 10k.. maybe, maybe one comes along but it won't happen overnight and you better be ready to pounce if it does.

I recall seeing a silver 59 CRL 4 door in AZ not too long ago, 361/auto, driver car with a nicely redone original interior with a rough body for close to 10k. Didn't seem like a bad deal depending upon the rust but that was a driver car with a very nicely done interior.

Ad says price reduced to $8900.
Running, driving with what looks like a very nice interior is not the condition of a vehicle the OP is describing in the first post.

However, I have noticed prices falling slightly for these finned cars as unfortunately interest in them is declining so you may have opportunities to buy one at a reasonable price soon.

If your interested I found this opportunity at the mopar spring fling. The guy was asking $4,500 and it’s a 2 door hardtop beautiful 1959 Desoto!

She may still be available, but it’s definitely a project car. Cool factor 10 out of 10!

View attachment 658883

View attachment 658884

View attachment 658885
If it runs and the interior is more than bare seat frames that is a good price.
I should also say if it has a clear title too.

Last edited:
I've had my share of finned mopars over the last 20 years and also a long time member at forwardlook.net They have all come and gone except for one that I've kept over the years my 58 plymouth 2 door hardtop, yes red and white just like Christine lol! You are spot on about the $ with the more doors $8-12 K. In regards to the 2 door hardtops, expect to pay anywhere from $12-18K+ for complete basket cases (RUSTY) needing full restoration. A driver level car, not perfect but well worn in with age but mechanically in good order around $22-35k+ and perfect fully restored cars with no flaws 40K-100K+ Mainly the six figure cars are the convertible models.
1960 Chrysler Imperial for sale by owner - Dexter, MO - craigslist

Not apples to apples but I think your prices a bit high.

Ad says price reduced to $8900.
Running, driving with what looks like a very nice interior is not the condition of a vehicle the OP is describing in the first post.
Right but there is no such car for sale exactly like what the OP is describing. I'm going by what I have seen in the marketplace. The truth is the price will be whatever the poster and seller agree upon. there are no real guides to go by.. probably the 2 hottest forwardlook cars are the 58 plymouth and the 59 dodge and those guides are totally useless for them.

Right but there is no such car for sale exactly like what the OP is describing. I'm going by what I have seen in the marketplace. The truth is the price will be whatever the poster and seller agree upon. there are no real guides to go by.. probably the 2 hottest forwardlook cars are the 58 plymouth and the 59 dodge and those guides are totally useless for them.
This past year there were a 57, both a Dodge and a Plymouth projects , different sellers, I think one was a four door and one was a two door for sale on Craiglist's that were sort of close to me that the asking price was far closer to the prices I've mentioned.

The pictures were plenty and at the prices looked very reasonable and were for sale for longer than I would have expected.

Every day I would review the ad's and it took incredible restraint for me not to go get them.

I don't decide today I want THIS car and will accept nothing else and inevitably end up over paying for one.

I look through the ads for sale occasionally and if something catches my eye that I think the price is worth it I'll go take a look.

FWIW. My brother and I bought a 57 Dodge Royal 2 years ago. 325 poly not running and needing rebuilt, no torque converter in the powerflite, more than half of the floor rusted, seats shot, headliner falling down. After having it shipped we were at $12,500.

Back