Tilt wheel repair question

Polara_500

Legendary Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone have any guides for a 65 tilt column repair? The FSM doesn't address other than the straight column. Trying to replace the cable for the turn signals and now I managed to screw up the turn signal lever itself so it won't move either direction. I kinda sorta "think" I know what the issue is but I'm trying to find a way to resolve it without learning as I go while disassembling the upper shaft blindly.

The actual turn signal switch is down at the base of the column, moved by a push pull cable and actuator at the steering wheel end.

Try looking at the accessories section in the front of the Fsm.

Yep, relatively familiar with the basic setup Ross, had the remote actuating cable removed and the switch laying aside, but the lever at the top of the column would not move. Figured it out and got it going again, now for the fun of trying to get the new cable hooked up - need 5 hands in a 4 inch diameter opening to get it all together, I'm still having trouble figuring out how I did it the first time but if I'd been able to source the correct repair part instead of having to manufacture one I wouldn't likely be doing it now.

And that's a fack, jack!!! Actually, Beeyotch is an understatement. What a PIA, but the column is back together, just have to put it back in the car. Supposed to be able to do the job without yanking it, but when the old cable got hung up halfway out and I couldn't 'unstick' it I decided to pull it and that did make a lot of it easier.

Well, column back in the car and all seems well so far, cue holding breath emoji........ Tomorrow I'll get back after it and change out the steering wheel if all goes well, although I seem to recall trying to put that wheel on before and it gave me fits then, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

Back