Timng After Cam Break in

mrzods13

Reaction score
The comp cams 268h xe is broken in, car was overheating checked every possible avenue except the timing. Checked oil and filter for chunks of metal nothing, radiator is good great flow, thermostat is good. Engine is at TDC. It was put there to do the came install the timing chain, etc. Anyone know of what to set it at with the new cam, I was reading 12 degrees before TDC for 68 Chrysler 383, 4 Barrel. I bought timing tape not sure how to do it, have a rough idea but not certain.

10-12btdc is close. look down by the balancer below the alternator sort of, thats where the timing marks should be, was on my car anyhow..dont get your tie caught in the fan belt...
i dialed it close with a light, then did it by hand/ how it ran from there. too far one way and the engine will die out, the other direction it will start to lock up almost. you can feel it and hear it. go slow and small adjustments, you can trash stuff playing with the timing...

You need 35-36° BTDC at about 3000 rpm this will work out to about 13-14 °initial you should also check you 0/ tdc mark for accuracy before you put tape on, after tape is where you want it spray it with clear coat to make it stick.

Well we made sure cylinder one was on the compression stroke the rotor was facing cylinder 1 and we matched the marks. I know that isn't actually degreeing the cam I hope I didn't mess it up it runs good no popping missing just gets hot and doesnt go down. Someone asked if I degreed the cam.

I have never degreed a cam in my life. The biggest thing is to get that 2500-3000 timing reading. Than recheck where it went at idle and see where you are at. Too little adance will run hot every time. I like 36 degrees total and 10-12 at idle, vac adv disvconnected. And that is a good rule for most domestic V8s with the exception on late model LS engines. But why talk about that here?

It's important to degree a cam, especially given the age and unknown history of the engine, and the quality of parts for them now available. But - the smaller cams you don't need to worry as much, and Comp is one I've never had a problem with.
On your timing - yes - attach the timing tape. make sure there is NO grease or oil (including from your hands) on the surface when you stick it in place. I like the idea of clear coating - never tried that but if it doesn't stick - it will fly off...lol. Order up the Mr Gasket quick advnace spring kit from Mancini or Summit. Replace the one stiff spring in the distributor with one of the light ones from the kit, unplug the vacuum line from the vacuum can at the distributor and plug it, and then check your total timing by setting the initial at 10°, and then slowly raising the rpm from idle to 4500 or so. Check the timing noted on the tape, and then subtract 10. That's your centrifugal. You will need to reduce that to keep your total around 36-38° and I would keep the vacuum advance operational.

Back