To stagger or not to stagger? That is the question.

So many opinions, which is good I guess. Here is mine. Most C-body owners are lucky in that the rear wheel lip overhang allows front to rear differences in tire height and sidewall width to be less noticeable. If you cant see the entire diameter of the rear wheel its hard to compare front to rear and notice differences until they get pretty big. Looking at your comments stating that a rat rod ,dark wheel,rake-ok look with white letters was your original idea. And if we assume your going to use 15x7 wheels (cant go too wide on tires) and the 235/75R15 tire pic of your car is acceptable to you (fills wheel well nicely without too much empty space plus sidewall OK) then I would start with that size and your front wheel as your visual standard. My favorite tire size website is Tire Size Calculator. Here is the standard 75 series compared to, just as an example, a 70 series. Standard is 29" in dia, alternative is 1" shorter, sidewall .5" shorter. 235 widths are good, not to skinny, not too fat unless you prefer that but on a 7" wheel staying <= 255 is probably best.

upload_2021-10-20_9-0-6.png

This second comparison is the standard vs a 255 width. My opinion is the rear of all our cars deserve wider tires.
upload_2021-10-20_9-6-39.png

And then here is the money shot. Assuming the differences above are not a problem then here is the final look. Slightly staggered 235/70/15 and 255/70/15. The front tires are slightly shorter and less sidewall than the standard. The rears are wider but mostly identical to the standard. The visual difference as seen below from front to back will not be obvious once the rears are tucked under and mounted.

And lastly here are some white letter tires, like Copper Cobras but cheaper that I think look cool. I never tried them. But there are many choices in these sizes. With this calculator you can change things up but its useful to have a standard to compare to. Four equal size tires will be great and allow rotating, but fitting with your original idea this is an option which will completely change the look of your car. Similar to the 2 other white letter cars in this thread.

upload_2021-10-20_9-10-34.png

upload_2021-10-20_9-11-32.png

Yeah definitely not doing that lol. I guess it would be a toss up on 235 75/70 or the 255 60s

So many opinions, which is good I guess. Here is mine. Most C-body owners are lucky in that the rear wheel lip overhang allows front to rear differences in tire height and sidewall width to be less noticeable. If you cant see the entire diameter of the rear wheel its hard to compare front to rear and notice differences until they get pretty big. Looking at your comments stating that a rat rod ,dark wheel,rake-ok look with white letters was your original idea. And if we assume your going to use 15x7 wheels (cant go too wide on tires) and the 235/75R15 tire pic of your car is acceptable to you (fills wheel well nicely without too much empty space plus sidewall OK) then I would start with that size and your front wheel as your visual standard. My favorite tire size website is Tire Size Calculator. Here is the standard 75 series compared to, just as an example, a 70 series. Standard is 29" in dia, alternative is 1" shorter, sidewall .5" shorter. 235 widths are good, not to skinny, not too fat unless you prefer that but on a 7" wheel staying <= 255 is probably best.

View attachment 492514

This second comparison is the standard vs a 255 width. My opinion is the rear of all our cars deserve wider tires.
View attachment 492519

And then here is the money shot. Assuming the differences above are not a problem then here is the final look. Slightly staggered 235/70/15 and 255/70/15. The front tires are slightly shorter and less sidewall than the standard. The rears are wider but mostly identical to the standard. The visual difference as seen below from front to back will not be obvious once the rears are tucked under and mounted.

And lastly here are some white letter tires, like Copper Cobras but cheaper that I think look cool. I never tried them. But there are many choices in these sizes. With this calculator you can change things up but its useful to have a standard to compare to. Four equal size tires will be great and allow rotating, but fitting with your original idea this is an option which will completely change the look of your car. Similar to the 2 other white letter cars in this thread.

View attachment 492520

View attachment 492521
Thanks for the info! This is great

Of course if the 235/75/15 is too tall for your liking then you can still use as the standard you want to be shorter than. A 255/60/15 is definitely going in the right direction by 2" diameter. If you get too much space above the front tire you can adjust the T-bars down and this will get a bit of rake too.

upload_2021-10-20_9-50-50.png

Here’s some old pics of my first real car. 235 70 15 vs 275 60 15 definite rake and on a 15x7 wheel that 275 is one big tire. I ran 391’s and that tall tire helped on the freeway. Remember a super wide tire on the front won’t want to turn as much.

3CE18A95-3726-45CC-A5CA-EF695BAA426C.jpeg

81517EE0-F397-4DB5-903F-6F701D982AC9.jpeg

Sorry about the black n white. This was back in the nineteen hundreds.

Here’s some old pics of my first real car. 235 70 15 vs 275 60 15 definite rake and on a 15x7 wheel that 275 is one big tire. I ran 391’s and that tall tire helped on the freeway. Remember a super wide tire on the front won’t want to turn as much.

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492542

Sorry about the black n white. This was back in the nineteen hundreds.
So you had the 235 70s on front and 275 60 on back? Im just wondering if that 275/60/15 will fit in the back. Great pictures by the way!

So you had the 235 70s on front and 275 60 on back? Im just wondering if that 275/60/15 will fit in the back. Great pictures by the way!
Thanks and Yes 70’s. Not sure if a 275 will fit but the b bodies swallow them up and the C’s used to have those super tall cop tires. The 235 60’s looked short and fat. 235 70 15 looks great on a 7 inch rim. You can see that from the front 3/4 shot. I was 18 when those were took.

Thanks and Yes 70’s. Not sure if a 275 will fit but the b bodies swallow them up and the C’s used to have those super tall cop tires. The 235 60’s looked short and fat. 235 70 15 looks great on a 7 inch rim. You can see that from the front 3/4 shot. I was 18 when those were took.

Excellent! So I bought 15x7 oe squad wheels from Gary Pavlovich who helped me source all the parts I needed for my poly engine rebuild. I think I was chatting with a guy on here that had 275s on the rear of his 65 Plymouth Fury, he said it was tight and the only way he could unmount the wheel is if he dropped the rear end to gain clearance, not sure if I wanna do that just with getting a flat I would need a tow but would definitely sweet with the width, I may consider that option or just 235/70 or 75s on all 4 corners. I definitely liked the look of my fury which had the 235 75s on her with the 15 inch oe mopar wheels I think its posted on page 1. I won't be mounting them or anything until next year as I jave to get the squad wheels refinished and do some parts gathering this winter for some other little things. I'll try and keep this thread alive by posting when I jave them all mounted up!

Excellent! So I bought 15x7 oe squad wheels from Gary Pavlovich who helped me source all the parts I needed for my poly engine rebuild. I think I was chatting with a guy on here that had 275s on the rear of his 65 Plymouth Fury, he said it was tight and the only way he could unmount the wheel is if he dropped the rear end to gain clearance, not sure if I wanna do that just with getting a flat I would need a tow but would definitely sweet with the width, I may consider that option or just 235/70 or 75s on all 4 corners. I definitely liked the look of my fury which had the 235 75s on her with the 15 inch oe mopar wheels I think its posted on page 1. I won't be mounting them or anything until next year as I jave to get the squad wheels refinished and do some parts gathering this winter for some other little things. I'll try and keep this thread alive by posting when I jave them all mounted up!
I think he might’ve meant raise the car and let the axle drop/hang. That’s the only way I can get my tires off the back of my 69 conv and they’re only 235 70’s. I use a scissor jack off a newer car. Just can’t raise it up under the pumpkin like an ebody.

Well here she is ,14 inch squad wheels with 235/70s all the way around. Decided to go with the black walls but got the milestar streetsteel that also has raised white lettering so I can switch if I want. Thinking about yrim.piece and some baby moons of possibly just getting like a bullet type center cap.

20220509_195456.jpg

20220509_195603.jpg

Well here she is ,14 inch squad wheels with 235/70s all the way around. Decided to go with the black walls but got the milestar streetsteel that also has raised white lettering so I can switch if I want. Thinking about yrim.piece and some baby moons of possibly just getting like a bullet type center cap.

View attachment 530556

View attachment 530557
235/70x15 on 15x7 cop wheels? You would have to go way back to find 14" cop wheels.

Seems like the center areas of the wheels were the same diameter, as such an area is just outside of the bolt pattern, which is the same for 14" and 15" wheels. Wheel covers would be different, but hub caps usually not, as I recall. There were design differences between model years, sometimes, but not the OD of the hub cap itself.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

If going for the staggered look, as per previous posts would go with the following:

Front: 15 x 7" with 235/70 tyre, and Rear: 15 x 8" (4.5" BS) with 275/60 tyre.

And fit narrower diff if required.

Back