Torque Converter question

polarus

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 11" torque converter for my build, anybody know which car/engine would most likely have this style converter?

Here we go again. WTF are you working on!???

904?
727?
62-66?
67-71?
72 up?
Lockup?
Cast crank?
Steel crank?
Small spline?
6 pack rods?
Motorhome?

Other than that not a problem!

The OEM sizes were 10.75" and 11.75" diameter. Cam being used can be important as that can relate to the engine's base hot idle speed and how much the converter "loads" the motor when in gear at idle.

CBODY67

The OEM sizes were 10.75" and 11.75" diameter. Cam being used can be important as that can relate to the engine's base hot idle speed and how much the converter "loads" the motor when in gear at idle.

CBODY67
Ok, not trying to hijack the thread, but same question.

66 Polara 500
440 bored .30 over
Purple shaft 484 cam
Forged crank
323 posi

also just picked up an edelbrock 7193 performer rpm for the car but haven’t put it on yet.

Here we go again. WTF are you working on!???

904?
727?
62-66?
67-71?
72 up?
Lockup?
Cast crank?
Steel crank?
Small spline?
6 pack rods?
Motorhome?

Other than that not a problem!

I feel this was a rather rude and unnecessary response to a valid question. More info maybe needed to clarify but geez give the guy a break. Take your meds man and let it roll.

Last edited:
One more point to of curiousity. Is that the original Chrysler Pur Shadt Street Hemi 284/284/.484 cam or the later "aftermarket" Purple Shaft cam? The differences would be the .050" duration. I suspect that something like the '68 Road Runner 383 10.75" converter might be pretty close to what you're needing. Enough basic stall speed to work with the cam and not too much to allow for nice highway cruising, I would hope.

Just my theory,
CBODY67

Rude? Maybe. Unecessary? No it is necessary. Because he didn’t tell us what he is working on. Like we know what his “build” is. And it happens 10 times per week. There’s a reason they start out with year/make/model/engine size

So my list is valid, And the crystal ball is in the shop.

@polarus What ya got your working on?

@Turboomni : I noticed nobody has answered his question yet, because it cannot be answered without more info.

One more point to of curiousity. Is that the original Chrysler Pur Shadt Street Hemi 284/284/.484 cam or the later "aftermarket" Purple Shaft cam? The differences would be the .050" duration. I suspect that something like the '68 Road Runner 383 10.75" converter might be pretty close to what you're needing. Enough basic stall speed to work with the cam and not too much to allow for nice highway cruising, I would hope.

Just my theory,
CBODY67

Thanks, but I’m trying to figure out what stall speed to look for on summit or jegs. The cam is a Mopar Performance 484 purple shaft that was bought new in the early 90’s.

Also, any idea on what kind of improvement I can expect from the edelbrock performer rpm intake over a stock cast iron from say 72-73?

Our cars are heavier than the cars that the off-the-shelf torque converter‘s are designed to be used in. My recommendation based on my own experience and the experience of several other people that I know is to contact Ultimate Converters. I dealt with Lenny. I think that you will find that if you supply them with the right core torque converter, which is likely to be a hemi torque converter and let them custom build a torque converter for you that you will spend about the same as if you bought an off-the-shelf torque converter and you will be much happier. Give them a call, tell him about your car your engine your rear gear etc. and let them tell you what they recommend and what the cost would be. I think it would be worth your time to spend 10 minutes on the phone with them.

Our cars are heavier than the cars that the off-the-shelf torque converter‘s are designed to be used in. My recommendation based on my own experience and the experience of several other people that I know is to contact Ultimate Converters. I dealt with Lenny. I think that you will find that if you supply them with the right core torque converter, which is likely to be a hemi torque converter and let them custom build a torque converter for you that you will spend about the same as if you bought an off-the-shelf torque converter and you will be much happier. Give them a call, tell him about your car your engine your rear gear etc. and let them tell you what they recommend and what the cost would be. I think it would be worth your time to spend 10 minutes on the phone with them.
For sure. Lenny is retired. Kim

Last edited:
4 speed conversion time.

A 4 speed on my 69 Fury does not compute for me.. I would love a big block 4 speed car but my big fuselage 69 C body doesn't have the personality for it. That is why I went to a 505 stroker and auto. I have already done this little adventure [torque converter] and will let you know the results after Polarus has finalised his. His build is and will be spectacular. I have seen some of his progress, very impressive. He is extremely knowledgeable and I bought a beautiful 440 long block from him for my 505 stroker build. He is no noob.

Last edited:
Back