torqueflite 727 problems

Thanks to all you gentlemen with more knowledge of the 727 than myself. I too mistakenly was checking my fluid level when warm in PARK, and was experiencing symptoms as already described. I already was considering the band adjust and filter replacement as matters of course with a 50 yr old automatic transmission, but am now glad to be set straight about WHEN to check the fluid level.

Thanks to all you gentlemen with more knowledge of the 727 than myself. I too mistakenly was checking my fluid level when warm in PARK, and was experiencing symptoms as already described. I already was considering the band adjust and filter replacement as matters of course with a 50 yr old automatic transmission, but am now glad to be set straight about WHEN to check the fluid level.

Hi Gerald,
If you are in doubt, it would be a good idea to get the bands adjusted and do a fluid/filter change as well.

Hi Gerald,
If you are in doubt, it would be a good idea to get the bands adjusted and do a fluid/filter change as well.
Oh don't worry, I WILL change that filter and tighten my bands. 50 yrs is a LOT of time for cumulative abuse to effect performance....

Yeah 3 rd/high gear is the direct clutch pack no bands involved so if fluid level does not fix it you are probably looking at a soft parts rebuild, clutches and seals.

I noticed that my tranny was down 24 fl oz when checked under proper conditions, as opposed to a false "full" when in Park. Now, first a good BATH to wash years of road grime and congealed viscous hydrocarbons off, then a new filter, band adjustment and proper gasket. (Looks like previous owner used some crap from a collapsible tube.)

Well **** sounds exactly my problem too. Im trying this tomorrow
Not necessarily.
the older 727's need to be put into neutral before attempting to move at all.
The pump doesn't engage in park which results in the exact symptoms you are describing here.
This is especially true if the car has been sitting for even a few days..
Put the car into neutral for about 30 seconds so the torque converter fills up and bleeds any air out of it.then it should go into gear right away.

this goes unsaid . .. so im gonna say it

chock your wheel. both directions. set the ebrake if it works.

try not to die -

- saylor

Back