Tough day in the Garage Bone head move alert...

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I hate to admit this but I want to save anyone else with a Poly from making this mistake..

I installed a set of spark plugs into my 318 poly in order to paint it up as many have seen.

They were longer than the ones that came out but what the heck I thought it was only a temp installation.
I have a set of Copper core plugs to go in once I installed the engine.

I had gotten the plugs from the PO. A whole box of them! like 4 dozen B/N Champions.

So onto the mistake I have to warn the poly owners.

DON"T INSTALL LONG REACH PLUGS INTO A POLY! :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

They will break the first time you roll the engine over and there will be porcelain and ground electrodes floating around your combustion chambers requiring you to remove the freaking cylinder heads to clean the mess up!.....

I tried a vacuum, flushing the cylinders with brake cleans & penetrating fluid, blowing the crap out with compressed air, a magnet for the metal parts
Spun it upside down. on its' side, everything short of shaking it over my head :eek:uch::eek:uch:

One positive is that I got to clean the carbon out of the cylinders.. :)

I did confirm that it is bored .040" over - it's stamped right in the flat top pistons..

I happened to have a set of top end gaskets on hand so it must have been fate right??

So after a long day in the garage, it's back together waiting for me to install it like I had planned to do today..

There is no photos as I was too pee'd off to take pic's. - just an insult to injury anyways right?

If anyone else wants to admit doing something really stupid like this less or worse, feel free to comment.

Don't worry, all responses will be totally anonymous.:giggle:

that's a real bummer, but your not the first to screw up and you wont be the last, I've made my share of mistakes. keep at it

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

I was back at it yesterday for a short period. I should be mating the eng & trans together tonight after work in prep for the drop in.
Hopefully not literally!! LOL! :D

Back