Towing- brake controller and extra gauges

Carl K

Reaction score
Continuing in my quest to get the 1965 New Yorker ready as a tow vehicle, I took advantage of the fact that I was already deep into the dash for the radio upgrade to do the wiring for my brake controller and extra gauges.

I knew I wanted an oil pressure gauge and a temperature gauge to monitor the engine. I also wanted some USB ports for all the phones and games that would be charging during our trips. I was hoping to find gauges that were period correct, and incorporate them in a way that didn't look too out of place.

I used a mix of old and new Stewart Warner "Green Line" gauges. These came out in 1965 so they qualify as period correct. They use electric senders so this made it easier to get the signals through the firewall. Luckily both pipe plugs came out without a problem.

tempsender.jpg

The temperature sender just clears the power steering pump bracket.
clutch01.JPG

I did switch the oil pressure switch to the other tapped hole at the back of the block.

I made a wiring harness using the typical Mopar wiring colors and threaded it through the speedo cable firewall hole.
wiring_loom.jpg

I used a '65 New Yorker door panel trim piece as the basis of the gauge panel, so the walnut veneer matches the dash. The veneer panel was cut with a water jet machine.
trims01.JPG

I welded an aluminum bracket to hold the gauge panel. It shares the four holes that attach the bottom of the ashtray.

gauges02.JPG

Here is the final result. The original electric tach is more for show and to fill space in the somewhat oversized panel. The third gauge is a voltmeter. There's two USB charging ports that are always "live". Everything else is switched 12V thru a relay. The reason there's a gap above the gauge panel, and the 2" gauges are below centerline, is so I could see them even if the ashtray was pulled out (it usually is, holding a smartphone).

gauges05.JPG
gauges04.JPG

The trailer brake controller is also installed. There are two circuit breakers now located near the battery, using an existing hole that held a ground wire.

circuit_Breakers.jpg
gauges06.JPG

Slowly but surely I'm getting there. As with my last project (the transmission cooler), no extra holes were drilled and everything can go back to stock if required. Next up, the tow hitch itself.

Carl

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of under dash gauges, but your panel looks great, nice job.
A little searching may turn up a factory optional trans cooler which should just bolt in.
I installed a "Reese" trailer brake controller in a similar manner as yours. Works great.

Very tasteful way to get the extra gauges displayed. You thought that one out well to accomplish the least of all evils,

Thanks guys. The extra gauges were a necessary evil, in my mind. I didn't want to be slogging over some Sierra Nevada mountain pass and have the engine "hot" light come on when it's five miles to the summit and there's no more turnouts.

I've been looking for the USB ports. Where did you get those?

Back