Trailer Tow Pkg and Cleaner Air Pkg

66MonacoWagon

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out some information on wheat each of these packages included for a 1966 Monaco Wagon.

I know that the Cleaner Air was a CA thing for emissions, and wonder if all the parts on my car are still there (or if there is an advantage to removing anything).

Trailer tow is eluding me a bit.

Is there a resource for the info?

Thanks!

CAP or Clean Air Package in 1966 simply was the oil filler cap had a vent and tube which went back to the air cleaner to allow crankcase ventilation fumes to be burnt rather than escaping to the atmosphere from the oil filler filter. The air cleaner would also have a corresponding hose bung.

Your car will also have a PCV Valve (like all our cars of that era) that vents to the carb and not to the atmosphere. Later editions got more complex - but in 1966 they were fairly basic!

The trailer tow package is a little more cloudy for me. It was dependant upon sales area altitude (Colorado cars got different equipment than nearer sea level cars...)

Elements of a "maximum cooling package" and other bits made up the option. Likely your car would have received a fan shroud for the 22" rad if not equipped with AC, or the larger 26" rad and shroud for higher altitude or max cooling (possibly engine size dependant).

As well, possibly a power steering fluid cooler, engine oil cooler (rare), and an auxiliary trans fluid cooler would be added.

Brake upgrades may have included 3" drums all around or disc brakes. Again, I believe that the option package was somewhat discretionary by the ordering dealer as to what actually went in the vehicle.

Trailer tow package usually included a stiffer suspension also. Probably the police springs, shocks etc. for a "C" body. Trailer tow package did make for a stiffer ride. Dad just ordered a/c on his cars. Greater cooling was the most important for our summer trips pulling the travel traveler.

Not certain about 66 but in 70 the radiator was a 26 with shroud regardless if an air car.
On a non Wagon you got trunk dress up and vacuum trunk release.

You also got a sure grip rear along with other items mentioned

My car is an AC car. They rear springs have been "beefed up" according to a record I have from 2003.

It does have the proper air cleaner/filler car. Has the 26" radiator and 7 blade fan. I don't dee any evidence of additional oil or tranny coolers.

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

As noted, the CAP used the first version of the "closed crankcase ventilation" equipment.

In those earlier years, people who towed trailers seemed to be a little more intense in making sure their vehicles were actually capable of hauling a trailer, reliably and safely. This included making sure the better axle ratio was ordered, a heavier transmission, and enough power in the engine. There seemed to be more places that catered to these needs than in more recent history, or they have shifted their focus from cars to light-truck chassis vehicles.

Many things were added "aftermarket", as the auxiliary automatic trans cooler in addition to the one already in the bottom of the radiator tank. If the car was ordered with integral factory a/c (as opposed to the add-on under-dash Mopar a/c unit (or other similar system), it should already have the larger radiator AND (when you look in the parts book) HD front torsion bars.

The other components of the HD suspension option would be "High Control Shocks" and more leaves in the rear leaf springs (see FSM for details).

The wagon, depending upon options mix, would probably have had the wider 3" brakes, from the factory. BUT our '66 Newport came with brake drums that allowed the upgrade to 3" brake shoes, so this would be something you'd have to check on your car. IF there was a separate option for HD Brakes, they would have been the same as the Police brakes, which were also non-self-adjusting brakes, which might explain why many dealers didn't order them.

I don't recall seeing any Chrysler products with power steering coolers until years later, but as small as they tend to be, the only real advantage might be more fluid capacity and slower degradation of the fluid by this situation. But in many later cars, the "cooler" was just a length of additional tubing that was secured to a "heat sink" of the chassis crossmember.

There was also a HD Signal Flasher to handle the additional load of the greater number of turn signal lights. But these could be added afterward, too. These flashers usually had a more authoritative "clunk" when they cycled.

There might have also been a factory-supplied trailer hitch that was available, but I suspect these were deemed a little weak as they were bolt-together as all of the aftermarket hitches were all of welded-together construction. The holes to attach the hitch to the car were usually already there, for the Class I hitch. The Class III equalizer hitch was what was used to haul house trailers with, which transferred the trailer's tongue weight to the whole rear section of the car not just the rear bumper area. These would be welded to the car, in many situations, from the literature I saw in the later 1960s.

Rear air shocks were just emerging in the '66 time frame, so the rear shocks might have been changed to the "Load Leveler" coil-assist style, or rear Air Lift (brand) rear air bags to not sag the rear suspension under load. There were a few other "spring assist" add-on spring leaves that were available back then too.

The wheels would have been 14x6 HD wheels, too, or the one year 14x6.5" HD wheels (station wagon specific!). Tire size on the Chryslers was 9.00x14, too, which makes the clearance between the tire and quarter panel somewhat tight, by observation.

At this point in time, it might be hard to document many of these things on your vehicle, "from the factory". The main things that somebody would only have altered for specific situations, usually, would be the rear spring assemblies, as they normally were not "consumables" that would be replaced or upgraded as "normal maintenance".

On the subject of the rear springs . . . the normal rear leaf springs had a fiber insert at the rear end of the springs for two purposes. One was to make them slide upon each other smoother. The other was "anti-squeak" reduction. On the HD Rear Springs, these inserts were zinc-based rather than fiber-based, which would be a visual difference.

With time and use, the fiber inserts would wear and deform and start to work themselves out from between the springs. They had a pair of plastic locating dowels that indexed with two holes in the rear of the leaves. These are things normally not noticed unless you know they were there. To replace them, with the car on a body-contact lift, you used a pry bar to separate the two spring leaves, knocked the old one our (if it was still there) and slid the new one in in its place0.

So, rather than a comprehensive "tow package" as most makers had by the end of the later 1960s, in the earlier years, it was a specific combination of options that did the deal. Factory a/c in combination with "HD Suspension" got the springs and shocks for the particular model taken care of, plus larger radiator and related internal automatic trans cooler. The brakes were usually already adequate for the basic "Class I" hitch use (generally 1000 lbs).

The HD flasher could be sourced from the auto supply, but the trailer wire hook-up would be done at the trailer sales place (or similar) as it involved splicing into the factory harness. Trailer brake controllers would be done there, too.

There was also a generally-accepted maintenance schedule for trailer use, too. It was not until the later 1960s as power/torque increased and the design of trailer hitches improved that allowed the pulling of even longer and heavier "house trailers" (later "travel trailers") that had all of the comforts of home. Precursors of the later "Motor Homes" and customized busses. When fuel economy issues progressed, light-duty pickup trucks became a better tow vehicle option as trailer weights increased to what they have become in recent years. And as the progression of "car-like" trucks continued to what we have today.

Decoding the data plate on the fender skirt, under the hood, might have some more cues of optional equipment.

CBODY67

With timer and age, leaf springs will become weakened or sagged. Only way to get that taken care of is by "re-arching" and/or adding additional leaves to the existing stack. Usually, you can tell the "new ones" added by their appearance next to the factory items.

When the leaves are removed from the kiln, they are glowing red-hot and are clamped onto the arching fixture, then hammered into a shape matching that of the fixture. Quite an awesome sight. Then the hot leaf is quenched into a tub of water. "Heat Treat", of sorts I guess.

The 383-4bbl engines usually had 3.23 rear axle ratios as standard, with 2.76 as optional. There should be a small metal tag on the rear center section bolt with that information on it.

From the MSRP for the Tow Package, it could have been a trailer hitch for the dealer to install and a wiring pigtail for the trailer? The HD flasher too?

The optional tires were a HD option, with their nylon cord guts, which was the strongest tire cord available back then. Other than what I mentioned above, from memory and observations back then, might need a sales brochure, research a Chrysler parts book, or purchase one of the elusive Dealer Order Guide and Trim Selector for 1966 Dodges.

Looks like a pretty nice car!
CBODY67

Interesting info CBODY67.

If note - my Monaco came factory with 3" police/taxi brakes, supposedly the non-adjustible versions. However, when I took them apart, there was a complete adjuster pkg on each wheel. I know they were factory assembled because the rears still had the sheet metal drum retaining clips over the lugs.

As well, the Drawtite class 3 equalizer hitch installed on my 66 T& C wagon used factory holes in the frame rails accessed from above in the 3rd seat well and the sides. Bolted in with no welds, easily removed for servicing. Sticker on the hitch frame says good for 10,000 lbs if I recall correctly!!

Last edited:
It might be that the P/T Brakes also included some sort of semi-metallic or higher-heat capable brake linings in the mix, rather than just the wider 3" linings. With the "visual" difference being the lack of self-adjusters on the P/T Brake cars.

There's an article on Allpar.com about Chrysler "squads" using semi-metallic brake linings that offered better hot stopping performance than anybody else's cars. In the 1956 or so CHP tests, I believe it was back then, that they ran the tests for one cycle, the performance was not deteriorating, so they ran them again with the same results. Brake drums glowing red! Those friction materials came from a supplier in Amarillo, TX, I believe? Possibly an additional article about how Chrysler found that place?

In the brand-name brake parts website catalogs, you sometimes have to read between the lines AND look in their specs section to find the real 3" wide brake linings and drums. Somewhere along the line, it seems their listings got crossed-up somewhat, from what I can tell. Or they've "rounded-up" 2.75" wide to be 3.00" wide in their listings? So to get the correct linings, might take some additional effort and possible frustration might result. So check ALL of the name-brand suppliers to find the best mix of parts.

CBODY67

I don't recall seeing any Chrysler products with power steering coolers until years later, but as small as they tend to be, the only real advantage might be more fluid capacity and slower degradation of the fluid by this situation. But in many later cars, the "cooler" was just a length of additional tubing that was secured to a "heat sink" of the chassis crossmember.
CBODY67
'65 Polara P/S cooler.
P1000582 (2).jpg

What equipment package/option did it take to get a p/s cooler on a Dodge? The bulk of what I saw were Chryslers as the Dodge store didn't sell very many cars in my area. So, just curious.

CBODY67

In the '66 Chrysler parts book, the only application in 19-54-196 "Cooler" is a/c-equipped 1966 Imperials. No C-body Plymouths, Dodges, or Chryslers. Will do some more research.

CBODY67

But in the 1965 Chrysler Parts book, it lists the cooler for C-body PDC + Imperial, B/RB engine, w/ac.

The 1964 Chrysler Parts book shows Chrysler and Imperial, but there was a factory Power Steering Cooler kit for the Plymouths and Dodges.

SAME part number for the cooler listed for the '66 Imperial.

CBODY67

Last edited:
The cleaner air package also would have had a 3 port vacuum switch dealy between the carb and distributor. It was a delay of some sort for the vac advance. I don't recall how it worked, but every one I ever had, I disconnected so the distributor worked correctly and the car ran right. None of the smog techs in the late 80s early 90s even knew anything about them anyway, all Chevy and Ford guys I guess.
Travis..

Back