Trains

Big blubber

Reaction score
Saw my first steam train this wk ,Since I was a boy ,So I thought I would start a thread on trains ,The most famous one in the UK ,is the Flying Scotsman engine number 4472 ,Is there any famous ones in the ,US

image.jpg

Saw my first steam train this wk ,Since I was a boy ,So I thought I would start a thread on trains ,The most famous one in the UK ,is the Flying Scotsman engine number 4472 ,Is there any famous ones in the ,US

One of my favorite Top Gear shows, when Jeromy was racing in the Flying Scotman

The 20th Century Limited, to me is probably our most famous train, but sadly no one thought it was important enough to at least save one non-working model in a museum.

20th Century Limited.jpg

20th Century Limited.jpg

Quite possibly he most famous steam locomotive in the US is "4449"

49banner.jpg

It was restored in 1974 as the "Freedom Train" and toured the country with exhibits of US History related to the Bicentennial 1776, I saw the train (not the exhibits) in Santa Barbara.

sp4449-freedom.jpg

It was restored back to it's original Southern Pacific Daylight colors afterwards.

I have always loved that scheme.

Alan

sp4449-freedom.jpg

I thought ,Baltimore was a quiet place lol! Was brought up in the era of ,Steam Trains I used to stand on the bridge next to my ,Primary School and let the smoke engulf me Ah the memories .

Yeah......Baltimore is pretty safe. LOL!

baltimore-riot-police-car-AFP-640x480.jpg

01-1102-am-12-09-09-SEH.jpg

I'm actually not into Trains, but the Looks of this German prewar Streamliner of the 01.10 series always impressed me.

01-1102-am-12-09-09-SEH.jpg

Years ago, I chased No. 4472 from Atlanta, GA to Anniston, Al. Its a three-cylinder, and it makes a cha-cha-cha sound, rather than just cha-cha, like most American steam engines. Here is a shot of a pretty famous engine I caught on Horseshoe Curve near Altoona, PA:

DSCF1235.jpg

There are real steam trains running around the Magic Kingdom park at Walt Disney World. good thing Walt had the vision that everyone should be able to ride a real steam train at least once in their life.

Years ago, I chased No. 4472 from Atlanta, GA to Anniston, Al. Its a three-cylinder, and it makes a cha-cha-cha sound, rather than just cha-cha, like most American steam engines. Here is a shot of a pretty famous engine I caught on Horseshoe Curve near Altoona, PA:
Super picture ,I like the big bell at the front

Quite possibly he most famous steam locomotive in the US is "4449"

49banner.jpg

It was restored in 1974 as the "Freedom Train" and toured the country with exhibits of US History related to the Bicentennial 1776, I saw the train (not the exhibits) in Santa Barbara.

View attachment 59002

It was restored back to it's original Southern Pacific Daylight colors afterwards.

I have always loved that scheme.

Alan
Yea great COLOr scheme ,They just don't make them like that anymore.

Back