Transmission is toast needs a complete rebuild.

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The guy rebuilding my transmission got back with me yesterday. The transmission is all tore up. I'm afraid I probably did most of the damage driving it last year. He said he saved the internals to show me the damage. He ordered everything he needs for the rebuild and said it will be like brand new when he is done.

I know several of you said I should rebuild the engine too at this time but I am really hoping everything is pretty good on that end, because I wasn't really expecting a full rebuild on the transmission.

My polara engine and trans were both working great when pulled, but I am not taking any chances. My biggest fear is scratching a bunch of new paint. Did he give you a quote on the trans? I've lucked out the past few years and have been getting my 727's rebuilt for 250 bucks. But I think those days are gone.

You're in this deep. No turning back now. You gotta do it.
Up to this point it was 50/50. Now there's no choice.
Personally, I'd :BangHead: for a solid week and finally submit....

My polara engine and trans were both working great when pulled, but I am not taking any chances. My biggest fear is scratching a bunch of new paint. Did he give you a quote on the trans? I've lucked out the past few years and have been getting my 727's rebuilt for 250 bucks. But I think those days are gone.

No quote on the rebuild. He said he was in about $125-50 materials. I know he will be very fair on labor. He wouldn't take any money from me when he rebuilt my carb, so I bought him a case of beer. It may not be as bad as I think, but I know this one isn't for free.

I just got an email from an Imperial guy who said he paid $450 for a 727 rebuild in Dallas in the last few years.

May as well go through the motor even if it means waiting a few months to clear funds. It's not fun pulling the motor twice.

Back