Transmission Oil

Boyd

Reaction score
What is the best transmission oil to use? How about additives? I am running the Torque Flight on a 440.

Dexron III. You can buy it at most parts stores or Farm Fleet in your area. I see there is a store in Rosedale.
Dex III is for vehicles 2005 and older.

Dexron III. You can buy it at most parts stores or Farm Fleet in your area. I see there is a store in Rosedale.
Dex III is for vehicles 2005 and older.
How much will I need to replace the seal on the pan?

It’s likely listed in the capacity’s in the service or owners manual. Not sure off the top of my head.

In the "Specs" area, there should be TWO capacities listed. One is for the normal filter replacement amount and the (significantly) larger amount is to refill a dry trans after a rebuild. In some model years, they used two different converter diameters. 11.75" and 10.75", with the amount for the smaller converter being 1qt less than the amount with the larger converter.

In many cases, as DexIII is not licensed any more, you can find in as "All Makes", BUT read the container to see if the dominant application for the particular fluid is GM vehicles prior to a certain model year (when Dex VI was needed). There are also some "All Makes": trans fluid which is mainly used on Hondas and other import vehicles. SO . . . reading the container is important.

ACDelco now sells a "Type III" atf, which is for DexIII applications.

Additives? As in "seal swelling" or "detergent" addivites? There might be a Valvoline MAXLife atf which matches the old DexIII use, which usually has some "high mileage" additives in it. Detergency additives should not be needed, typically, unless something is really gunked-up, in which case, pouring some good ole Berryman's B-12 additive in the atf, running it for about 30 minutes, then immediately drainlng and re-filling with fresh fluid. NEITHER of those additives might compensate for normal wear on the shuttle valves in the valve body, though.

FWIW,
CBODY67

What is the best transmission oil to use? How about additives? I am running the Torque Flight on a 440.
More info please. How long have you had the car and have you ever added ATF before? Some ATF does not play well with others.

You should be ok with DexIII however if you can find out what fluid is in it now and match it that is always best. Try not to mix types.

When I rebuild transmissions I always ask the guy is he has a preference on fluid and tell him to stick to it. If they don't have a preference and it is a stock rebuild I recommend DEXIII.

More info please. How long have you had the car and have you ever added ATF before? Some ATF does not play well with others.

You should be ok with DexIII however if you can find out what fluid is in it now and match it that is always best. Try not to mix types.

When I rebuild transmissions I always ask the guy is he has a preference on fluid and tell him to stick to it. If they don't have a preference and it is a stock rebuild I recommend DEXIII.
I thought that one can use type F and it actually improves shift firmness.

Ford Type F has a bit more agressive initial friction coefficient which can result in a bit quicker and firmer "apply" of the frictions. From what was said back in 1968 or so, when it was introduced.

Type F is non friction modified (less slipery) The newer Mercon is friction modified like Dexron and the old Type A. The older Torqueflites were designed to run the friction modified fluid. That's what I would run.

Type F has the worst lubrications qualities of any ATF. It’s not slippery compared to others.

yes people think it’s the greatest thing ever.

I never use it in anything but an old FFFFord

Last edited:
Okay if you don't mind I have a similar question. My trans is a 1966 727 TF and I'm currently using Dexron II-D. Should I switch to Dexron III or stick with the II-D?

Dexron III replaced the earlier Dexron and Dexron II variants. The neat thing about Dexron-family atf is that they are all backward compatible to the first GM automatic in the late 1940s. Even the current Dexron VI, which started out as semi-syn for the clutch-to-clutch shifting GM 6-speed automatics. Dexron III is NOT recommended for those newer automatics, according to GM.

There was also a Dexron II-E variant which appeared for the first GM electronic valve body automatics, which was replaced by Dexron III.

Somewhere, there's a chronological list of the Dexron-family variants and what particular issue they were designed to prevent/help. Some which I was not aware of, even back then.

There are two GM-spec'd automatic trans fluids for the 8 and 9/10 speed automatics. Not Dexron-famiy items, as I recall.

Thank you guys, this is more information than I was expecting. This transmission was in the car when I bought it. I have no idea the oil that is in it. All I know, I keep losing T Oil. I will have it up on a lift to see if the o rings are working. You guys are the best. I only hope I can pay it back! Thank you.

Thank you guys, this is more information than I was expecting. This transmission was in the car when I bought it. I have no idea the oil that is in it. All I know, I keep losing T Oil. I will have it up on a lift to see if the o rings are working. You guys are the best. I only hope I can pay it back! Thank you.
When you check, look at the pan gasket and the shifter seal. Two very likely candidates.

Could leak from anywhere. Look it over and remember that atf is thin and will run down from above. So find the wet spot and look above it for the leak.

hunderds of posts on how the pan still leaks and it is something above it leaking.

A bit of advice: if you replace the pan gasket use the genuine Mopar gasket. It's less likely to leak. The cork ones are junk.

So why does the stipdick on my 92 Dakota read "use ATF +3" (which was superseded by ATF +4).
Kendall ATF+3™ is specifically designed for use in automatic transmissions and transaxles in most Chrysler vehicles built from 1988 through 1999 and some later models. It is formulated to provide optimum performance in Chrysler automatic transmissions equipped with lock-up torque converters. ATF+3™ is recommended for service fill in Chrysler automatic transmissions and transaxles where Mopar ATF+3™, ATF+2™ or ATF-Plus™ fluids are specified.

It's a Mopar thing. I have never used it but always Dexron with good results. Use what ever you like, what's available or what's recommended. Your choice.

Back