Transmission Oil

Ya missed the point. It was said Dex III was for 2002 and older models. If that was true my '92 stipdick wouldn't read ATF +3.
And try to find ATF +3. Ma MoPar recommends +4 nowadays. Dexron III is getting hard to find because ATF +4 has superseded it.

This came from a ad for Mopar ATF+4:

Tech Note 4:
What about Dexron II? Older factory Shop Manuals list Dexron II as a Chrysler approved replacement for ATF+ fluid so you can also use Mopar® ATF+4® Transmission Fluid in 1999 or older Dodge, Jeep, or Plymouth vehicles originally calling for Dexron II or ATF Type 7176. One caveat here, if you have an older vehicle with original components, the advanced detergents in ATF+4 do such a good job cleaning that old, worn out seals may start to seep or leak. This is not a problem with new or rebuilt replacement parts, but by now most of the original seals in vehicles made prior to 2000 are on the verge of failure due to age and heat degradation.

Oh I'm not missing the point.

Ya missed the point. It was said Dex III was for 2002 and older models. If that was true my '92 stipdick wouldn't read ATF +3.
And try to find ATF +3. Ma MoPar recommends +4 nowadays. Dexron III is getting hard to find because ATF +4 has superseded it.
That's strange you are having a hard time finding +3 and DEXIII. My local parts store has +3 in two brands and probably 4 brands of DEXIII.

Use Dexron-VI for the best performance in an old Torqueflight. It's a synthetic Dex-IIi friction-mode backwards compatible fluid that will likely never need changed again in that gearbox.

Use Dexron-VI for the best performance in an old Torqueflight. It's a synthetic Dex-IIi friction-mode backwards compatible fluid that will likely never need changed again in that gearbox.
I try never to mix synthetic with mineral based oil. I know all the experts say you can do it so make your own choice. With that being said if your fluid is low any fluid is better than having low fluid.

Sorry, I didn't think anyone in their right mind would consider a transmission service on one of these things without a full drain, at this juncture. Fluid prices are going up along with everything else, I suppose.

This came from a ad for Mopar ATF+4:

Tech Note 4:
What about Dexron II? Older factory Shop Manuals list Dexron II as a Chrysler approved replacement for ATF+ fluid so you can also use Mopar® ATF+4® Transmission Fluid in 1999 or older Dodge, Jeep, or Plymouth vehicles originally calling for Dexron II or ATF Type 7176. One caveat here, if you have an older vehicle with original components, the advanced detergents in ATF+4 do such a good job cleaning that old, worn out seals may start to seep or leak. This is not a problem with new or rebuilt replacement parts, but by now most of the original seals in vehicles made prior to 2000 are on the verge of failure due to age and heat degradation.

Oh I'm not missing the point.
So does that mean Dexron IV is ok in a 70's 727 with the possible caveat that it might cause old seals to leak if they have never been replaced?

So does that mean Dexron IV is ok in a 70's 727 with the possible caveat that it might cause old seals to leak if they have never been replaced?
That's the way I understood it. External leaks are bad enough but internal clutch seals wouldn't be a good thing.

Moroso is making a great thick rubber gasket for the 727. I just ordered one for my 66 but i have been using one on the th400 in my truck works great no leaks!

Moroso is making a great thick rubber gasket for the 727. I just ordered one for my 66 but i have been using one on the th400 in my truck works great no leaks!
When I serviced the 904 in my Swinger I replaced the pan with a deeper one from a later model overdrive. It was thicker gauge than the original, has a drain plug, and extra fluid capacity. I used a new style rubber impregnated gasket that seals well. They make them for 727's as well.

transmission pan.jpg

When I dropped the pan on my '77 recently I replaced the shift linkage and throttle seals, adjusted the bands and used the FEL-PRO TOS18583 coated pan gasket. Used Valvoline Dex/Merc available at Wally world and just for good measure a 24oz bottle of the Lucas tranny fix but due to a shutter when putting it in reverse and I'm not much of an additive type of guy but's as it's as good as new.

I played around with adjusting the shift pressure and shift points but put everything back
to where they were...

Back