Transmission Options

hardheaded

Reaction score
I have a 66 fury III that I got a while back. The cars in pretty good shape mechanically but not fun to drive due to the transmission. It has started acting up and I could rebuild it but that's not what I'm wanting to do. I am wanting to install a overdrive trans so I can actually drive it down the highway and get it out more. It has a 727 in it. But I am not sure what options I have to replace it with. I'm looking for a junkyard or used trans that I can rebuild. The car has the 383 in it I believe. I have not run numbers to verify this just going by what I was told. I am new to mopars so all help is appreciated. Also looking for any wiring harness info I can get. Looking for replacement harness and schematics. I am wanting to make this car a driver. My daughter loves the car and it has a lot of sentimental value to me. So its going to be a labor of love. Thanks in advance for all info.

What rear end ratio do you have now? I have thought anything higher than a 3.55 with a 727 would be a problem on the highway and a 3.23 or lower would not. I have a 3.23 in mine with a good 727 and it is no problem on the highway. I had read that some highway patrol cars had 2.73???? ratio but with a big block could approach 140 to 150 mph.

Last edited:
What rear end ratio do you have now? I have thought anything higher than a 3.55 with a 727 would be a problem on the highway and a 3.23 or lower would not. I have a 3.23 in mine with a good 727 and it is no problem on the highway. I had read that some highway patrol cars had 2.73???? ratio but with a big block could approach 140 to 150 mph.

I've got a Newport with 383/727 and 2,76 rear end combined with 15" wheels (original disc brakes). It's quite ok on highway up to about 70 mph, not stressed.

But I don't do much burn outs with this combo...

727 transmission is the 3rd strongest thing on this planet.

keep it.

and cheap to rebuild / get rebuilt.

try not to die -

- saylor

At this time there are no direct replacement overdrive automatic transmissions for a big block.
You have many options if you have the money. Ultra bell where you cut the bell housing off of an A500 or A 518 and bolt the replacement bell housing on. Gear vendors overdrive unit which replaces the tail housing of your 727. PATC sells an adapter kit which allows you to bolt a small block overdrive unit to your big block. Which ever way you would like to go you have to rebuild the crossmember for the trans. Cost for this type of upgrade is north of $3000.00 if you do all the work your self. For me it's not worth it.

I think the big question is what is wrong with the trans in the car?

Is the linkage from the carb to the trans adjusted correctly? Does the fluid smell burnt? Does it slip? Shift early? Late? Have you changed the fluid and adjusted the bands? Does it hesitate going into gear...

Oh... and one other thing I've noticed lately with new Mopar owners... Are you checking the fluid level in neutral??

I am not sure on the gear ratio in the rear end. Never pulled to check it out. If I run up the high way at 70 mph its tacking north of 3000 rpms and sounds like its screaming. The trans is slipping in it now. The fluid doesn't smell burnt or anything like that, its just slipping. I did check fluid in neutral and everything is full. The car also has no bottom end which is strange to me being it has no top end either. It feels like it has a really tall gearing setup the way it takes off.

If I stick with the 727 which seems like the likely option to do. What gearing should I run in the rear end. This car is going be a cruiser not a drag car. But I live 20 min outside of the city and want to be able to drive it to cruise ins and to work.

If it was slipping, the fluid would burn up in a hurry. It sounds like it's not shifting right.... which could be a lot of different things.

I'd check the trans linkage from the carb. It's in the FSM and if you don't have one, you can get it here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

2.76 gears work well for cruisers. 3.23 will give a little better performance.

What was normal for our type of cars was a 3.23 or a 2.76. Most of the 383 cars came with 3.23. With a 2.76 gear your engine will turn about 2200 rpm or so at 70 mph.

Pull trans rebuild yourself they are not hard. If it has all 3 gears and reverse and not making any metallic noises it probably just needs wear parts.

My Fury III came with 3.23 rear end with small 14" tires switched out the tires for 235/70-15 and the rear to 2.76 its great for interstate driving

Back