Transmission other that 727

sport fury guy

Reaction score
I need to replace the transmission in my 67 sport fury plymouth with the 383. If I want a transmission other than the 727 what other transmissions can I use? If I wanted to put a GM transmission in is there one that works best?

Drag racers use Powerglides.
But I have a feeling you're trying to get a 4 or 5 speed.
There is an A500 4 speed Torqueflite. It has a SB bolt pattern. I think. But regardless of what you chose, modifying the transmission tunnel is very likely.
People have used Gear Vendirs Overdrive boxes with Torqueflites.

Drag racers use Powerglides.
But I have a feeling you're trying to get a 4 or 5 speed.
There is an A500 4 speed Torqueflite. It has a SB bolt pattern. I think. But regardless of what you chose, modifying the transmission tunnel is very likely.
People have used Gear Vendirs Overdrive boxes with Torqueflites.

I need to replace the transmission in my 67 sport fury plymouth with the 383. If I want a transmission other than the 727 what other transmissions can I use? If I wanted to put a GM transmission in is there one that works best?
If I may ask... do you need to replace or rebuild? 727 should be a reasonable rebuild. To replace with anything else would be a whole lot of work and most likely some significant dollars to get to where everything was working right again. I do see the desire for overdrive, but I think the ROI is going to be very low.

Look at "Whatever It Takes" transmission parts for an idea on parts costs... really reasonable to rebuild most 727's.

I would be very interested on why you think a GM tranny would be better than a 727. What do you want the car to do? You want a 4th gear for better highway performance/economy? You want to drag race?
I am under the impression the 727 is as good or better than most tranny's out there.

PG is more for all out drag race. With PG or other GM transmission, you have to do modifications to crossmember, kickdown linkage, driveshaft etc...
If want overdrive, go A518/618 (46RH/47RH). Those are 727 with overdrive. But those need almost as much work as fitting GM transmission.
727 is strong transmission and there is plenty of BB Mopar 727´s. And its cheaper to rebuild 727 than swap some other transmission.

Another 727 is going to cost you about $100 to pick up and the kit for overhaul can be had for about $80. Then it is all bolt up rather than buying a specialized bellhousing, flex plate and torque converter for a powerglide that wont be able to take advantage of the power range of the mopar engine. The two speed is a good box, but the 727 in standard big block form is built to handle about 450HP without any upgrades. If you get a 727 off the back of a 440 engine, then it will have the four pinion planetry gear set which is stronger again.

+1 a 727 xmission is the 3rd strongest thing on the planet. get that 4th gear / overdrive addon gizmo and rock the sauce.

try not to die -

- saylor

Also I may add while we don't know what it is you could change the rear end ratio to get you where you want to be even without the overdrive attachment for alot less money. That is just another can of worms,,,but cheaper worms!

Why do people keep going on about an overdrive? He hasn't even hinted at wanting an extra gear or not, he just wants to replace his transmission.

Well I guess we went WILD cause he hasn't posted since post 3 and we are on post 14 now.

Why do people keep going on about an overdrive? He hasn't even hinted at wanting an extra gear or not, he just wants to replace his transmission.

Well. . . When he said "PowerGlide", I began to wonder what the OP was really up to. . .

The sprag clutch went out of the transmission and the casing may be shot, that is why I am looking at replacing the transmission.

Unless it actually split the case, a bolt in sprag will solve this problem IF it in fact spun in the case. They don't always spin when they fail.

A bolt in Super Sprag is a good upgrade over a regular bolt in and should be the last one you ever need.
About $200 from Mancini.

Coan Racing Super Sprag Clutch Kit

Kevin

Thank you to everyone that has provided input, Unfortunately sometimes I have to work and didn't get a chance to respond to everyone. Yes, I was just more or less curious about the powerglide, you have all convinced me to stay with the 727. My initial thought was to rebuild the 727 if the casing was not shot, my next thought was to buy one from JEGS that has been rebuilt, I can buy one for around $1200 rebuilt from them. I don't have the facilities and the time to rebuild the transmission myself. I do have a very good transmission shop that does rebuild all these old transmissions, he said if the casing isn't shot he could rebuild for around $800 or less depending on any issues he runs into. All of you have so much knowledge I wanted to hear from all of you first. By the way, I did replace the rear end, it was a 2.92 I bought a 3.55 from a salvage yard called moparwildcats, that rear end went and it took out the sprague clutch, I have never been burned by a salvage yard before so I guess the law of averages caught up to me. I bought a rebuilt 3.55 and that was when I discovered my transmission was not working right. So that is the story of where I am at right now.

I'm way late to this thread, but FWIW, Jay Leno has a '67 Imperial. In the video for it he said that the 727 is the best automatic transmission-ever.

Love him or hate him, he knows cars.

Hope the input helps.

John

Back