TRW power steering pump

gary68plyfury

Reaction score
I have a 68 Fury 3 with a 383 and TRW steering pump that likes to leak. I just rebuilt it by replacing the two o-rings that stop the unit from leaking but it’s leaking more now. I’ll try to rebuild it again today and replace all the orings.
If that doesn’t work again, can I get a Federal style pump n modify the trw bracket to exactly fit the federal pump? This is definitely not a high dollar car so I’d rather not switch to another system.

Thanks
Gary

TRW pumps get replaced because some folks don't care for the way they run actually. Also, parts for Saginaw pumps still can be had, and Saginaw pumps still are made for after market buyers. I LOVE TRW pumps myself, and if you don't want to tinker with what you have, I'll buy it from you. See if you can rebuild yours right first maybe. I did one a couple years ago with great results, and am running it now. Yours should have the smaller return hose on it, which will work nicely on my 68 Newport if I ever need to swap in another.

Look carefully where the pump leaks! It's pretty easy to reassemble these when torn down, but if your shaft got worn from a bad bearing, that may have made matters difficult. If its just leaking where the reservoir seals around the actual pump body, it may be your reservoir has been subtly damaged, distorted or such. A bit of RTV can help there.

Read this thread.

TRW pumps get replaced because some folks don't care for the way they run actually. Also, parts for Saginaw pumps still can be had, and Saginaw pumps still are made for after market buyers. I LOVE TRW pumps myself, and if you don't want to tinker with what you have, I'll buy it from you. See if you can rebuild yours right first maybe. I did one a couple years ago with great results, and am running it now. Yours should have the smaller return hose on it, which will work nicely on my 68 Newport if I ever need to swap in another.

Look carefully where the pump leaks! It's pretty easy to reassemble these when torn down, but if your shaft got worn from a bad bearing, that may have made matters difficult. If its just leaking where the reservoir seals around the actual pump body, it may be your reservoir has been subtly damaged, distorted or such. A bit of RTV can help there.
I love the way mine runs. The steering is so easy. The bearing looks good but definitely seems to be leaking at that spot. When the bearing and the shaft is in my hands, you can feel the shaft is worn a bit when sliding on the bearing. I know there is some kind of o-ring/gasket in there but I don't have a press to remove it. Last night, the roller pins, that spin on the shaft, started to fall out so I'll have to figure out a way to put them back. I'm think grease and tweezers will help.
When I did the first rebuild, I put RTV on reservoir seal and it worked great.

I love the way mine runs. The steering is so easy. The bearing looks good but definitely seems to be leaking at that spot. When the bearing and the shaft is in my hands, you can feel the shaft is worn a bit when sliding on the bearing. I know there is some kind of o-ring/gasket in there but I don't have a press to remove it. Last night, the roller pins, that spin on the shaft, started to fall out so I'll have to figure out a way to put them back. I'm think grease and tweezers will help.
When I did the first rebuild, I put RTV on reservoir seal and it worked great.

I love mine too. Without a press you can't do much with these pumps, be sure. I have a nice old 20 ton one made in South Carolina about 80 yrs ago. You either will have to get a press, or hire a shop. A worn shaft bodes ill for long term, but maybe, if you do a total rebuild, leaking can be minimized and you can still enjoy using it. I too wouldn't want anything else.

Just an update, I used a hammer and center punch to remove the seal. It is definitely in bad shape and brittle.
Ordered a new seal today, so we'll see what happens.

Just an update, I used a hammer and center punch to remove the seal. It is definitely in bad shape and brittle.
Ordered a new seal today, so we'll see what happens.

Good! Yes, you MUST replace that seal when replacing the rest of the stuff.

I swapped mine for a saginaw because it leaked, I cobbled up rebuilding it, and I managed to find an RV saginaw bracket with a good pump on it.

I didn't notice any difference in how it feels though? maybe mine was just a little well cooked and wasn't making full pressure?

Back