U-joints

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Alright so I am reading about Dave's problem this morning. Afterwards I'm thinking about my u-joints. I had my truck done since it has a carrier in the middle but I did my other Fords myself. So I am thinking I should replace the ones in the Polara.

Searching the parts catalog I see the numbers 7260 and 7290. I gather smaller and bigger. I start to cross reference to SKF and see 315G (2 1/8") and 316G (2 5/8"). Once again smaller and bigger. Now I need to figure out if the Polara is all smaller, or all bigger, or one of each. My Fords all had two different u-joints yet my take here is that the Polara uses the same and I'm thinking the smaller 315G.

Last edited:
Thanks. I saw another thread here where a suggestion was made to upgrade from the smaller Mopar size to larger Spicer joints for a 440. I believe it was C Body Bob. Well if a 440 has small then a ordinary 360 should be the same.

Im not sure where the larger one comes in. I once purchased a 742 rear which had the larger U. It came out of a C but not sure what application .

They make a combination u-joint also where half of the cross is the smaller joint, and the other half is the larger joint.
Measuring U-Joints | Spicer Parts
I spoke with a driveshaft guy, years back, who referred to those as "abortion joints". If you find yourself in need of the combination joint, try a driveshaft builder first... they may have yokes available to avoid those joints.

That is where I bought the combination joints. I took the shift there to be balanced and they installed the joints ...
Nothing wrong with them

Back