Uncle Tony's comment on C bodies...4:55

cbarge

World Famous Barge in a Budget
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am assuming UTG has not visited this web forum . or did any homework regarding the ever increasing popularity worldwide of the C bodies.
Big in Europe and Australia and well as here in Canada/US.

We do have a "cult following" and I commented on his video.

Good thing my '66 Monaco's didn't have a cult following, or I might not have them! Too bad I can't get any mechanical parts for it, unlike the Dart he shows. :realcrazy:

He was on FABO before he started his YouBoob channel. He parted out a lot of cars, and recycled every part possible, he helped many projects with those parts.

He's 100% right with the '66 Monaco comment. Are there aftermarket parts available like there are for the Dart? I hear guys ***** every single freaking day on this site about how they can't get repop parts. And why is that? Pretty simple... Walk down the line at Carlisle and you'll see a lot of '66 Darts and maybe one or two '66 Monacos, if that.

Truth hurts sometimes. I'll agree there's a cult following but he didn't say that. He said "aftermarket parts".

If someone were to ask me, a C-body would not be high on my list of cars to suggest as a "project car". At 6:25, he mentions a '69 Eldo. Yep, great car, bad project.

Now, if the car is a complete, finished driver, yea, a C-Body is good... But we all have our challenges. I had a hell of a time finding good wheel well trim for my 300. If that car had been a '69 Roadrunner, there would be repop trim sitting on my front porch in a couple days instead of taking a couple years of searching and then having to restore/repair bits from three sets.

I don't agree with Tony Defeo all the time. But he gives better advice than a lot do, often better advice than I see other places. His philosophy is "a guy in his garage with basic tools and not a huge budget" and I like that. Slant six in a Miata?? Nope... Interesting concept that goes against the norm, and that's good, but no... just no.

I've never had a lot of trouble finding items for my Polaras. Specialty stuff like Superlite stuff, sure. It is all however out there if you look and are willing to spend.
Mechanical stuff unavailable? What Mechanical stuff is available for a 66 dart that isn't for a 66 Monaco? When guys come here and ask before they buy car about parts availability on said car the answer is always " the Mechanical stuff is all available, you'll have to worry about locating metal if you need any" .
The rotor and cap discussion in the other thread is across the board Mopar.

Another thought , Parts hunting is a big part of building a car, part of the fun. NOT doing a 66 Monaco because you can not find a fender is, well for lack of a better word , stupid.
ALL the parts are available, just not at the Walmart.

I've never had a lot of trouble finding items for my Polaras. Specialty stuff like Superlite stuff, sure. It is all however out there if you look and are willing to spend.
Mechanical stuff unavailable? What Mechanical stuff is available for a 66 dart that isn't for a 66 Monaco? When guys come here and ask before they buy car about parts availability on said car the answer is always " the Mechanical stuff is all available, you'll have to worry about locating metal if you need any" .
The rotor and cap discussion in the other thread is across the board Mopar.

Another thought , Parts hunting is a big part of building a car, part of the fun. NOT doing a 66 Monaco because you can not find a fender is, well for lack of a better word , stupid.
ALL the parts are available, just not at the Walmart.
See, you guys don't listen.
He said "aftermarket".

Do you have a selection of headers for a '66 Monaco? Can you buy the headlight trim from a catalog?

I can build a '66 Dart from my freaking recliner.

You're smarter than this.

What aftermarket parts are available for a 66 Dart? Maybe it's my Google phone steering me towards my 67 Dart, but I haven't seen much support for the early A body cars. I haven't done any deep dives though.

What aftermarket parts are available for a 66 Dart? Maybe it's my Google phone steering me towards my 67 Dart, but I haven't seen much support for the early A body cars. I haven't done any deep dives though.

When you guys think "aftermarket parts", you are thinking about repop parts. The project cars on that channel are racers, hot street cars etc.

Just for an example, I can walk down the aisles of Carlisle (for example) and come up with a couple dozen sets of used headers that would fit that Dart. Try that with a C body... Want to find body parts? Again, tons of used parts and some repop stuff out there. Layson's has a lot of repop trim if you want that too.

It's apples and oranges.... If I were to give advice to someone who is set on building a "project car", but has never done one, I'd probably suggest a '68 Camaro. You can literally buy everything for them.... and used stuff can be had without looking under every rock.

Now, IF YOU ENJOY LOOKING FOR PARTS, then do whatever car you want to do. There's tons of rare cars out there... Hell, I'd love to do an Avanti, but it's not in the cards. There's more challenges and whatever...

But a basic, real, honest to ****, project car is tough. If you want to restore, you have to go one direction. If you want a hot rod, you go another. Uncle Tony's channel is for hot rods built in the back yard. It's not for the guys that worry about having a date coded grease cap on their wheel bearings.

Look around your garage.. If there's tools, tool boxes, and parts, then you probably "get it". If there's tile on the floor with posters and collectables, well, you probably don't.

What I learned from building the Boab is..there is "nice" junk and then there is...junk.
The BoaB is my last full blown nut and bolt resto on a car that has no "aftermarket" or "repop" support.
But the end result was a cult following,networking and hunting for parts.
Making friends along the way is also priceless
Anybody can get into a C body--just buy one that is complete as much as possible with minimal bodywork.
Maggie and I were fortunate to come across Frankie which is a perfect example and complete opposite to what I started with my Newport.
Meet Maggie May!
New forum..old face
20201010_131131.jpg

BARGE ON A BUDGET 052.jpg

See, you guys don't listen.
He said "aftermarket".

Do you have a selection of headers for a '66 Monaco? Can you buy the headlight trim from a catalog?

You're smarter than this.

Bullshit John he said " mechanical parts" . He even mentions brakes and hoses, then goes into soft interior parts. Listen again!

Tony's idea of "cult following" sounds to me simply like "popular". It follows then, with a few notable exceptions, most vendors don't even have Cbodies on their radar. In my experience many people in our group have a relatively high level of dedication and threshold for frustration compared to those working on cult/popular projects.

Bullshit John he said " mechanical parts" . He even mentions brakes and hoses, then goes into soft interior parts. Listen again!
Bullshit Dave. I listened again. He says "aftermarket" right after.

Red X everything you want, it doesn't change my mind. I'm as stubborn as you are.

So he says mechanical parts , gives examples of the mechanical parts he's talking about , brakes hoses.... I can buy them anytime, at the parts store or in the restoration businesses. If he changes his verbiage to aftermarket after that I wasn't listening, I lost my stomach. Let's be honest, the definition of aftermarket is not from the factory. Moog front end parts are aftermarket, I can get those too.

No, is true, I'm not buying new " aftermarket " bodyside moldings ". That's not what he said at 4.55 as noted.

Back