Unfortunate hood scope

boyd36

Reaction score
so with my new stroker build I for some reason assumed there would be no issue with hood clearence , but once again I was very wrong . One of my instructors would say when you assume , you make an *** out of u and me .so now Unfortunately I need a hood scoop on my 65 NY . I am thinking of the gtx style bolt on . My question is has anyone put a bolt on scoop on there c body , my hood has the raised Center line , will that type of scoop fit on my hood , can’t find anything local to trial fit and don’t want to buy and return , looking for someone’s experience with this . It’s such a shame to cut a hole in my hood , is so straight , and gives up the New Yorker look I feel . But I guess it will be unique in its own way though , which I do like .

New Yorker with a hood scoop? Oh so wrong.
Make the changes you have to make to clear the hood.
You assumed. You were wrong. Fix it. Don't bandaid the problem with a hood scoop.
If it was a 65 Fury, it would be different.

I never assume, I presume and avoid that stupid Odd Couple phrase ....

The flying whale is a good example of what works.

I never assume, I presume and avoid that stupid Odd Couple phrase ....

The flying whale is a good example of what works.

Flying Whale.jpg

I'm not a hood scoop kind of guy but that one is done in a tasteful way. Actually, I've seen pics of that car before and never noticed the hood scoop. :thumbsup:

How much room are you needing? I would mess with the look, but I have seen guy's raise the back of the hood for some clearance. If you do have to cut and put on a hood scoop I would get another hood so you don't cut up the factory hood.

Can't you look at a different intake/low profile air cleaner? My Newport has ram induction with no clearance issues.

I agree with all against the scoop . And yes if I need to I would search for another hood that had possible flaw that a scoop would cover , does anyone know if a 66 ny hood is the same ? I see that spectre makes a low profile air inlet with dual 4 in tubes . Will maybe get some dimensions and do a mock up measure .thanks all for inputs .

Definitely look into some air cleaner options first. Maybe the ones that hang off both sides would work.

I agree with all against the scoop . And yes if I need to I would search for another hood that had possible flaw that a scoop would cover , does anyone know if a 66 ny hood is the same ? I see that spectre makes a low profile air inlet with dual 4 in tubes . Will maybe get some dimensions and do a mock up measure .thanks all for inputs .
65 hood is one year only. 66 is a no-go, but you still have NY, 300, and Newport (Windsor) to pick from.

Please do not cut the stock hood for your indiscretions

New Yorker with a hood scoop? Oh so wrong.
Make the changes you have to make to clear the hood.
You assumed. You were wrong. Fix it. Don't bandaid the problem with a hood scoop.
If it was a 65 Fury, it would be different.
I assume you mean because you can buy a fiberglass hood with scoop already there for the Fury... :rolleyes:
Yes... there must be some air cleaner options, if you feel that whatever raised the air cleaner so much must stay. Cutting a nice hood is against my religion... leave it off before you ruin it. IMO the best looking scoop is going to be way worse than nothing... or...
How much room are you needing? I would mess with the look, but I have seen guy's raise the back of the hood for some clearance.
The worst case to gain a little clearance... might take some thought/effort depending on your hinges...

I have to say this , i really love the passion that members have for there cars and others, much respect to all replying on this subject. It’s like I opened a bee’s nest , lol , but I have to thank everyone for feedback and opinions , you have brought me back from the realm of insanity . I have to explain my thought process , growing up in a racing culture ,it is always in a person to get the maximum efficiency out of your motor, whatever is needed and what you can afford . Find all the little tricks for that extra 1 hp . So know I now with my dyno results what my motor makes . And it’s like yeah , so what ! I have a lot of torque and hp to spare . So will take it out ,with out hood , play a bit . Then do whatever i need to induction system to squeeze it under original hood line . I am building a 413 to put in a 36 Chevy 5 window . Can use the tall intake , carb spacer and 4 in k&n on that motor . All is good in the world again . Thanks all for caring about our beautiful cars .

It’s like I opened a bee’s nest , lol , but I have to thank everyone for feedback and opinions
You ask, and we will tell you, may not be right, or what you want to hear, but we will tell you!

So are you going to show us this car, or have I missed the pictures?

I have never liked anyone that always agrees with what I think or say , always like to hear blunt honesty and truth . Bucket’s o that hear . Lol sorry all pics were lost with an old phone . Car is packed away in shop . Busy with work , boat and quad season , trying to keep up and make customers happy . All I have is a picture of a picture from couple years ago . We pushed out of shop and put a friends 20 in rim on front and another friends 17 on rear. Am looking foreword to putting new 15 rims on in future .thanks for asking . Any body work and that rear quarter glass will be done in years to come , I like to drive and enjoy , they don’t have to all be pretty .
D272343A-9EA9-4D3D-8655-F44CA4EBA110.jpeg

I have never liked anyone that always agrees with what I think or say , always like to hear blunt honesty and truth . Bucket’s o that hear . Lol sorry all pics were lost with an old phone . Car is packed away in shop . Busy with work , boat and quad season , trying to keep up and make customers happy . All I have is a picture of a picture from couple years ago . We pushed out of shop and put a friends 20 in rim on front and another friends 17 on rear. Am looking foreword to putting new 15 rims on in future .thanks for asking . Any body work and that rear quarter glass will be done in years to come , I like to drive and enjoy , they don’t have to all be pretty .View attachment 205608
That roofline... just SCREAMS class.
Looking good to me, man!

Back