URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!!

Ya weren't exposed to many Wingers, were ya?
And in 75 the Wing was only .2 second behind the Z1. I ran the crap out of my 75. When I sold it the thing had about 55k on it. Couldn't get carb parts for em back then.
And now 10-30 is crap.
As to the QS recall it wasn't due to the grade of the oil. The oil wasn't made properly and only select batches from two refineries due to a problem with the additive package received.
Other brands of 10-40 had no problems.
QS was a wax based oil, hence the sludging. My son worked at a oil change place. They used Pennzoil. Same problem with the sludge. He said you could tell a regular customer by looking at the bottom of the filler cap. They sold a lot of oil flush services.
I pulled the intake manifold off an old Chrysler and you couldn’t see the lifters as they were covered in wax. Old paraffin based Pennzoil.

And back in the day (don't say that) QS and Pennzoil were made by the same company.
Well, they still are made by the same company but since about 02 it's been Shell.

Last edited:
The only oil viscosity break down I ever had was in a 455 V8 1967 GTO, rebuilt HO engine. Castrol conventional turned to literal sludge in 3000 miles. That was 30 years ago. Never used Castrol again. Until I sold the car (very regrettably), Pennzoil performed well in it's crankcase.

Well, I stopped at the local HD yesterday and price checked several 5QT bottles. They all came up the regular price.

And back in the day (don't say that) QS and Pennzoil were made by the same company.
Well, they still are made by the same company but since about 02 it's been Shell.

I don't make it a habit of saying that someone is wrong about something, but in this instance I will. Prior to 2002 Pennzoil and QS were definitely two completely different companies. Both companies were headquartered a mere 5 miles from where I grew up at and they was fierce competition between the two of them right down to the janitors. Both had their own refineries, research labs, bottling and the whole nine yards. The name of the town is Oil City, PA.

Edwin Drake struck oil just outside of Titusville, PA about 15 miles north.

Well, I stopped at the local HD yesterday and price checked several 5QT bottles. They all came up the regular price.

I don't make it a habit of saying that someone is wrong about something, but in this instance I will. Prior to 2002 Pennzoil and QS were definitely two completely different companies. Both companies were headquartered a mere 5 miles from where I grew up at and they was fierce competition between the two of them right down to the janitors. Both had their own refineries, research labs, bottling and the whole nine yards. The name of the town is Oil City, PA.

Back in the day Pennsylvania crude was supposed to be the best crude for lubricating oils, I don't remember/know if it was called this waxed/paraffin type crude that some refer too or it was just a big sales pitch. What I want to know is, hasn't this stuff run out by now, ie all the wells gone dry?

Check to see what happened in 1998.

Check to see what happened in 1998.
I used the year that you stated because I could remember the exact time that both companies departed our area and merged once they settled in TX. It wasn't a good time for lots of people I know that worked for either company. Thousands of jobs loss in a very small community. Everyone felt it in one way or another.

I'm not sure when they merged. It was after they both moved their headquarters to TX. I stopped caring after that. When I got back from the AF in 96 I thought that the writing on the wall was so obvious that Pennzoil was going to be leaving (QS was already gone). Many people were living in denial that they would ever leave. They said there was too much there, refinery, bottling, research... The QS headquarter is now occupied by the DOT and the Penn headquarters is occupied by the city government. Other than that I can only think of one building from each company that still stands. The refiinery that covered about 2 miles in length was sold to a Russian company and dismantled.

Back