Vacuum Question

Here is a shot of a Fram 5/16 filter and a Wix 5/16 metal filter. My parts guy thought I would be fine with a Fram.

IMG_2213.jpeg

I think most people would be fine with the fram. It is nice to see what's going on. I've ran a few without any major issues, unlike some. One time the filter glue failed, and the actual filter was just floating around in the case, so some gunk probably entered the carburetor.

I once bought the same glass and chrome cleanable one Mopar joe 65 has, and before I had the chance to install it, a friend who is a pretty serious drag racer was in my garage and I showed it to him. He laughed out loud! He said he loved to see them under other guys hoods. They just don't flow enough. If they weren't jerks, and stuck around to be part of the community, he'd kindly point them in the right direction.

Thanks guys for all your advice, I think the metal fuel filter would be better I just like the looks of the glass but I don’t like it so close to the manifold.

Thanks guys for all your advice, I think the metal fuel filter would be better I just like the looks of the glass but I don’t like it so close to the manifold.

Metal is the way to go, that's what the factory used. Factory location is a two inch hose length from the fuel pump, with another two inch hose length, then a single steel line to the carburetor.

My big problem with the glass filters is right in the name.. "glass".

Glass breaks... and then you spill gas all over the hot engine.

Not a fan of plastic cased filters either because of the case melting if you have a small fire under the hood, but at least they aren't glass.

My preference is a quality, metal cased filter.

Back