Van’s Auto gas tank

69polara440

Reaction score
Anyone ever buy and use their gas tanks? Thoughts? Quality? Thanks for your help!

It depends which Vans Auto you are talking about. There are more than a few companies out there that call themselves Vans Auto. If you are talking about the one out of Waupun Wisconsin, I know them personally, good group of guys. I know they ship a lot of tanks but I really don't know the quality. I do know that they list a lot of stuff on ebay, I would look them up on there and read the feedbacks on tanks they've sold. Hope that helps.

I also know Duane and Tom (co-owners) and was there last week to get an Emergency brake level from a parts car for my '62 300. I did not get a fuel tank but a sending unit for my '70 Fury III ex-squad a few years ago. Nothing negative to say.

I've got two and a friend one (all 69 Polara). The first one I got had cold soldier joints on the vent lines, didn't catch it on install, found it thinking I had a loose hose.
2017-02-12_002.jpg

I had this one repaired.

Got another one later for my 500 and I get them again.

Alan

I bought one for my 67 Newport earlier this year, it fit perfectly. I'd recommend them. One tip, if you buy the tank from them on ebay the price is the same as on their website, but the shipping is free.

I got a Tank and Sender for my Dodge A-100 from them on E bay. Tank was Very Good Sender was Inaccurate. Returned the sender for refund.

Seems that pretty much everybody is re-selling Spectra tanks (at least they are all using the Spectra part numbers and descriptions, it seems). Shop the various websites as the prices CAN be pretty close or NOT, but the Vans website usually has the cheapest price and free shipping. From a pair of owners who know what they are selling, this is a plus, too. I would not have considered them until I read the many positive reviews on this forum.

Happy Holidays,
CBODY67

I've got two and a friend one (all 69 Polara). The first one I got had cold soldier joints on the vent lines, didn't catch it on install, found it thinking I had a loose hose.
View attachment 504339

I had this one repaired.

Got another one later for my 500 and I get them again.

Alan

I had the exact same problem with my tank from Vans. Tried to fix it with JB Weld. Still leaks. . .

I got my ‘68 Polara tank from Vans. The only thing different from my original was a flange with excess material where the tank narrows in the rear was flat instead of bent down. A couple blocks and a hammer made it a perfect match to the original.

It depends which Vans Auto you are talking about. There are more than a few companies out there that call themselves Vans Auto. If you are talking about the one out of Waupun Wisconsin, I know them personally, good group of guys. I know they ship a lot of tanks but I really don't know the quality. I do know that they list a lot of stuff on ebay, I would look them up on there and read the feedbacks on tanks they've sold. Hope that helps.
If taking about these guys. I bought a tank, dinner, grommet and a number of other things from them. They all fit fine. I need to pull the sender and adjust it so that it is more accurate. I believe as someone else said if you go through Ebay you can get free shipping.

If you have any issues, with products or install, or if you have any questions. Call them and talk to Duane. He's a good friend of mine and very knowledgeable. Good luck with your project!

I bought one. Fit perfect. But leaked at the welded seam. They sent me a replacement and requested that I destroy the previous tank and send them photos. So I did. The second tank had good seams but I eventually had a leak at the vent lines. I didn't feel like dropping it out again so I applied epoxy putty around the penetration.
Then a few months later a stray object hit the tank on the freeway and punctured it, and I dumped fuel for a few miles until someone flagged me over. That epoxy sure came in handy that time.... but I had it repaired shortly after.

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

I recently (this month) bought one of them from Vans and even the sending unit was right on. Spectra has made some improvements over time now to fix the sending unit mount leaking problem, making sure the soldered tubes are solid and the sending unit finally correctly calibrated on my example at least.

I recently (this month) bought one of them from Vans and even the sending unit was right on. Spectra has made some improvements over time now to fix the sending unit mount leaking problem, making sure the soldered tubes are solid and the sending unit finally correctly calibrated.

Thanks, Steve. This news tempts me to just buy another current production tank from Van's. . .

Back