Vinyl Top, Windshields in Place

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I do not have a car with a vinyl top. However, I wanted to know for a man who is just replacing the vinyl top, can the windshields and stainless trim stay in place? If so, does the installer carve out the old vinyl that is under the stainless with a utility knife? Or some other tool? I guess the horizontal trim at base of c-pillar would have to come out. Assume the drip rails could stay on. Thanks for letting me know. Didn't want to hijack Grandpasdream thread.

My one experience with vinyl was with the '73 New Yorker I parted. The stainless molding clips went through the vinyl material, underneath the stainless molding. The only way to get the clips out of this particular car was to remove the windshield. I imagine a skilled top installer could avoid this, but that's how it left the factory.

You don't have to pull the glass, but you certainly must remove all the stainless trim, including the drip rails.

Carmine is right, Will need spl. tools to remove wind. trim. You tube has several posts covering this.
You could make your own. I did this one with an old scraper and a metal file.

DSC01832.JPG

Thanks for all the input. Have you been successful at removing the trim without bending it?

Carmine is right, Will need spl. tools to remove wind. trim. You tube has several posts covering this.
Hi Dave,
Is there a particular video you recommend? Could I have a link?
Just a job I've always wondered how to do and never done properly. I parted a 1970 Fury, but both the rear and front windshields were resealed with huge amounts of sealant/permatex. It was like the trim was glued in, especially on the upper side of the glass. I ended up bending a lot of the trim and recycling the metal. Since my car is a convertible, it didn't seem like a big deal, but I've always wanted to know how to do it right and if cars with windshields that are still sealed from the factory would be easier to remove windshield trim. Thanks Ben

Hi Dave,
Is there a particular video you recommend? Could I have a link?
Just a job I've always wondered how to do and never done properly. I parted a 1970 Fury, but both the rear and front windshields were resealed with huge amounts of sealant/permatex. It was like the trim was glued in, especially on the upper side of the glass. I ended up bending a lot of the trim and recycling the metal. Since my car is a convertible, it didn't seem like a big deal, but I've always wanted to know how to do it right and if cars with windshields that are still sealed from the factory would be easier to remove windshield trim. Thanks Ben
Type in [window moulding removal- mopar muscle]

I used the can opener method, but ended up putting some dents in places :/ with the pointy end when I was prying around, so be careful.

Back