Vinyl top

Blish

Reaction score
Hey yall, I have a few questions. Haven't been on in a while car drives great but...

I just got around to having some time off. A whole week for Thanksgiving and 2 for Christmas! Nuts! I'm going back to public school next semester so I can walk the stage. So I decided I should get the car back right entirely.

My silicone fill on the window failed a couple days ago, which has started this project now. I have the glue gun but I figure I'd replace the vynil roof while I was here (peeled it the day I bought the car. It was decaying). I was messing around with the idea of a mod top. Anybody done that on a c body before?

Why is there nearly identical c Pillar bondo patches on the car? I've seen 2 other cars with thr same bonds patch but I can't figure it out.

And where can I get the trim clips that go around the windshield and roof? Someone has pulled the trim before and didn't replace all the clips it seems. I even had to go back and add screws back into my dash that were missing, I had 3 in total there were 2 screws holding the plastic panel in.

Thanks! -Paul

The filler is there to cover up the welded seam transition from the roof to the quarter panel. There was no real effort to pretty it up since it was going to be covered anyway.

Generally, you buy vinyl tops that are pre-made for your particular vehicle because it requires special equipment to form the seams. This is going to limit your choices of top material.

Most likely, the only place you will be able to source reproduction Mod-Top vinyl is going to be SMS. They might be able to make you a custom top out of it, but the price is going to knock your socks off, and it could take them over a year to get around to making it.

Usually for clips you need to find a survivor off of your car and match it up. Most of the time the C bodies share clips with muscle cars of the same vintage and they are available new. Your other choice is to buckle down with a parts manual for your car and find the part number for the clips, then do a google search.

It sounds like the glass needs to come out of your car so that you can freshen up the pinch welds and window channels.

Jeff

Generally, you buy vinyl tops that are pre-made for your particular vehicle because it requires special equipment to form the seams. This is going to limit your choices of top material.

Most likely, the only place you will be able to source reproduction Mod-Top vinyl is going to be SMS. They might be able to make you a custom top out of it, but the price is going to knock your socks off, and it could take them over a year to get around to making it.

Usually for clips you need to find a survivor off of your car and match it up. Most of the time the C bodies share clips with muscle cars of the same vintage and they are available new. Your other choice is to buckle down with a parts manual for your car and find the part number for the clips, then do a google search.

It sounds like the glass needs to come out of your car so that you can freshen up the pinch welds and window channels.

Jeff

Found a place that sells vynil tops for old box chevys locally. That can measure everything up and cut it properly in a day and for $250. Not bad...

Glass is out to replace that old seal with a new bead of sealant. Found a 74 new Yorker in the junk yard with some clips on it, I have some extras now in case a couple break. Cross my fingers I don't break a rivet. If I do no big deal there's only like 10 more holding a single peice in haha.

Thanks yall appreciate the help! Car should be back on the road January. Once everything is right I'm gonna change the wheels and tires. Keeping the original ones because they're kinda rare and have 4 good whitewalls. Was thinking 22x9... nothing crazy still gonna have my turning n all that good stuff

Back