WANTED Wanted: Dodge Chrysler Plymouth Mopar Engine Mount cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy Day

Reaction score
Contact seller
I am looking for the motor mount cable Chrysler installed on big blocks to avoid mount separation. I've seen the bolt on mods, and would like this original cable setup. I can be reached via Pm.

Screenshot_20230103_135752_Outlook.jpg

No doubt I do not know what I'm talking about, but in many years, I have never seen such a thing? Was it ever factory available?

Yes factory. I think it was a cop car part. I have a at least one from my old cop cars. I have been meaning to see about getting some made up.
Later, like 73/74 the engine mounts came with two opposing cups that would stop engine lift if mount separated. Engine restrictor, roll restraint is what it is called in parts book.

IMG_2702.jpeg

GM used a similar set up starting in the mid 60's. Apparently they changed the compound of either the glue or the paint on the steel bits, the cable worked better than the mount did. I've seen plenty of broken mounts, never a broken cable.

GM used a similar set up starting in the mid 60's. Apparently they changed the compound of either the glue or the paint on the steel bits, the cable worked better than the mount did. I've seen plenty of broken mounts, never a broken cable.
The GM (Chevrolet-specifically) add-on kits for their cars and pickups, starting with the middle 1960s cars, until about the 1970 model year, as I recall. What was in the kit varied with engine and model of vehicle. So although they all had a cable it them, the other items were model-specific. As the '69 C-10 350-4bbl pickup we have needed some extra bracketry, which then put the power steering belt in a slight mis-alignment situation.

Chevrolet issued a TSB on the kits, with part numbers and applications. When I bought the obsolete parts invenetory of a smaller Chevy dealer, I received about 50 of those kits in the mix. Quite interesting! Several different part numbers. I hauled a representative group to the Pate Swap meet the next year. Many people had heard of those kits, but never had seen them. Including a Camaro vendor from the Carolina region, who bought what I had on display and then his jaw dropped when I told him I had more. So he came to my shadetree shop in a rented Mercury Tracer and filled the whole back seat with all that I had. He remarked to his friend that if his father had told him that he'd be on his hands and knees digging through a pile of those kits, he would have told his father "You're crazy". But there he was, doing just that, years later. LOL

On the vehicles which used solid throttle linkages, any engine deflection/rotation could cause the rods to hang-up, which could cause some dangerous situations. When the throttles were changed to cables, that situation was greatly decreased. BUT the engine could rotate enough to hit the inner hood structure, by observation of when the lh mount deteriorated/failed on our '66 Newport 383 2bbl car.

Chevrolet then re-designed their mounts to have the "fail-safe" feature, so no need for the kits in later times. Those mounts were direct replacements for the earlier ones, which were discontinued and replaced by the newer style.

Some people complained that the cables would rattle in the engine compartment. Who then had the option of not getting the kits installed on their vehicles. The mount failures usually happened years after the cars were new, so if the were getting ready to trade cars, no big deal to them . . . let somebody else replace the mounts.

Some serious drag racers got some heavy bolts, washers, and a section of "log chain" and made their own restraints, too. The sound of their engines and valve train usually over-rode the rattles of the chain. Plus a heavy chain, rather than a "measly little cable" had a positive visual affect, too.

Ross's incognito fix is a definite option, too.

Just some recollections,
CBODY67

I think it might have been associated with the Sure-Grip rear option. The other Polara I had (not the CHP one) that had a 318 had the cable as well, that car had the Sure-Grip rear.
There are special bushings and spacers, the spacer at the top is stepped and goes in the ring ie a bushing. There is a bushing in the lower one as well.
Image1.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
Been a few years now but Im pretty certain my old '69 300 convertible had one. But it was a base 440/open diff 2.76 car.

The GM (Chevrolet-specifically) add-on kits for their cars and pickups, starting with the middle 1960s cars, until about the 1970 model year, as I recall. What was in the kit varied with engine and model of vehicle. So although they all had a cable it them, the other items were model-specific. As the '69 C-10 350-4bbl pickup we have needed some extra bracketry, which then put the power steering belt in a slight mis-alignment situation.

Chevrolet issued a TSB on the kits, with part numbers and applications. When I bought the obsolete parts invenetory of a smaller Chevy dealer, I received about 50 of those kits in the mix. Quite interesting! Several different part numbers. I hauled a representative group to the Pate Swap meet the next year. Many people had heard of those kits, but never had seen them. Including a Camaro vendor from the Carolina region, who bought what I had on display and then his jaw dropped when I told him I had more. So he came to my shadetree shop in a rented Mercury Tracer and filled the whole back seat with all that I had. He remarked to his friend that if his father had told him that he'd be on his hands and knees digging through a pile of those kits, he would have told his father "You're crazy". But there he was, doing just that, years later. LOL

On the vehicles which used solid throttle linkages, any engine deflection/rotation could cause the rods to hang-up, which could cause some dangerous situations. When the throttles were changed to cables, that situation was greatly decreased. BUT the engine could rotate enough to hit the inner hood structure, by observation of when the lh mount deteriorated/failed on our '66 Newport 383 2bbl car.

Chevrolet then re-designed their mounts to have the "fail-safe" feature, so no need for the kits in later times. Those mounts were direct replacements for the earlier ones, which were discontinued and replaced by the newer style.

Some people complained that the cables would rattle in the engine compartment. Who then had the option of not getting the kits installed on their vehicles. The mount failures usually happened years after the cars were new, so if the were getting ready to trade cars, no big deal to them . . . let somebody else replace the mounts.

Some serious drag racers got some heavy bolts, washers, and a section of "log chain" and made their own restraints, too. The sound of their engines and valve train usually over-rode the rattles of the chain. Plus a heavy chain, rather than a "measly little cable" had a positive visual affect, too.

Ross's incognito fix is a definite option, too.

Just some recollections,
CBODY67
I went to high school with a guy that snapped the mount on his 65 Mustang. The throttle went wide open and he parked the car under an 83 one ton Chevy. The look on his face was priceless as he sailed across the parking lot. He got pretty beat up, one more Mustang gone to youth's stupidity. The truck was no worse for ware, the Reese hitch took the brunt of the impact.

My 69 Fury Pursuit has one..factory part…if I can help let me know.

I’ve always assumed they were a “fleet” HP part and that non HP or civilian vehicles didn’t get them. But there is much more to learn!

I had a 72 Polara Illinois State Patrol that had one.

My 69 Fury Pursuit has one..factory part…if I can help let me know.

I’ve always assumed they were a “fleet” HP part and that non HP or civilian vehicles didn’t get them. But there is much more to learn!
Tried to send you a pm, says your box is full.

I don't have a better picture of the other bushing.
Take some measurements and see if you can find something at McMaster

2021-11-11_005.jpg

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back