Weird AM FM radio!!

70 Sport Suburban

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen or have a Polara/Monaco radio like this one came out of a 69 Polara convertible. I did have a 69 Plymouth radio with the same metal piece which I sold to a member here.

20200512_150844.jpg

20200512_150850.jpg

20200512_150855.jpg

20200512_151015.jpg

20200512_151018.jpg

20200512_155141.jpg

20200512_155145.jpg

20200512_203507.jpg

20200512_203717.jpg

@marko:I don't think so. The radio you are showing looks like the R35 option on the '69 / '70 Polara and Monaco (P/N 2884749):

0227-BRT43-1.jpg

That radio, as seen in the photo above, does not have the metal panel on Manny's radio, which is typically where the 8-track opening would be.

@ayilar doesnt the dash bezel cover up the metal blanking plate ?

my 69 Plymouth radio had the same metal piece just like this Dodge radio. Here's a pic of the 69 Plymouth radio.

Short answer: I don't think so. Here is what the R35 radio looks like in a '70 Polara: the simili-wood trim piece does not have the opening that seems to be needed (unless there is just enough clearance) for the metal piece that juts out on Manny's Dodge radio -- which is what makes it unique.

@70 Sport Suburban -- it would help if we could see the numbers and markings on your unicorn.

upload_2020-5-13_10-49-10.png

Just guessing wildly here -

Perhaps the filler plate is a temporary filler made to deal with a supply chain issue for the dash plates for cars ordered the AM/FM stereo radio and no tape player. For example - if at the time for the then foreseeable future the dash plate available was only the one for tape player equipped radios (I.E. for a number of weeks until the proper dash plate became available), that would put a stop to the assembly line. The problem could have been seen before the issue became critical, and then the fairly simple sheet metal stamping to fill the tape player hole and allow installation of non-tape player radios in dashes and make use of the tape player dash plate could likely have been designed and thousands produced within a few hours/days with a good local supplier and life would go on in the assembly factory with a quick line bulletin and "use this part if..." edict.

I expect there are more issues like that where quick fix solutions had to be found due to supplier issues, to allow the assembly line not to grind to a halt. This would explain things like "incorrect" air cleaners, hoses, regulators, steering wheels, yadda yadda.

I know the 65/66 Chrysler dashes had something like 6 different variants for radios - combined with model differences between Newports/NYrs/300s each of which I believe had model-unique finishes, and you're dealing with a major amount of finish parts required for the dash.

Just guessing.

Just guessing wildly here -

Perhaps the filler plate is a temporary filler made to deal with a supply chain issue for the dash plates for cars ordered the AM/FM stereo radio and no tape player. For example - if at the time for the then foreseeable future the dash plate available was only the one for tape player equipped radios (I.E. for a number of weeks until the proper dash plate became available), that would put a stop to the assembly line. The problem could have been seen before the issue became critical, and then the fairly simple sheet metal stamping to fill the tape player hole and allow installation of non-tape player radios in dashes and make use of the tape player dash plate could likely have been designed and thousands produced within a few hours/days with a good local supplier and life would go on in the assembly factory with a quick line bulletin and "use this part if..." edict.

I expect there are more issues like that where quick fix solutions had to be found due to supplier issues, to allow the assembly line not to grind to a halt. This would explain things like "incorrect" air cleaners, hoses, regulators, steering wheels, yadda yadda.

I know the 65/66 Chrysler dashes had something like 6 different variants for radios - combined with model differences between Newports/NYrs/300s each of which I believe had model-unique finishes, and you're dealing with a major amount of finish parts required for the dash.

Just guessing.

Yes, Ross, Manny and I had a lengthy discussion on the phone about this radio and I concluded essentially what you are saying. I just don't believe Chrysler would have released an option looking like that in a regular production vehicle unless there was a serious supply chain issue. In 1970 at least, my data book does not list as available in a 70 Polara/Monaco an R37 radio (AM/FM stereo with 8 track tape deck) and only the R35 was supposed to be available (AM/FM stereo only). An AM only 8 track tape deck radio was available however.

Last edited:
Yes, Ross, Manny and I had a lengthy discussion on the phone about this radio and I concluded essentially what you are saying. I just don't believe Chrysler would have released an option looking like that in a regular production vehicle unless there was a serious supply chain issue. In 1970 at least, my data book does not list as available in a 70 Polara/Monaco an R37 radio (AM/FM stereo with 8 track tape deck) and only the R35 was supposed to be available (AM/FM stereo only). An AM only 8 track tape deck radio was available however.

Correct. .

Back