what air cleaner is this??? 63 Newport on ebay

fury fan

Reaction score
Anybody seen this air cleaner before and know what it belongs to?

I've never seen one of these 63-66 non-piepan cake-pan air cleaners with the ribs in the center section. (62-earlier std-performance air cleaner was smaller dia and had none of the OD ribs - it's totally different)
The shape around the wingnut isn't even the same as the 'normal' air cleaner, it's flatter, and isn't as tall.
But the grooves near the OD, the snorkel, the indentation just CCW of the snorkel - are all Chrysler.
Quite curiously, it does seem to have an extra groove vs the the same spot in the 2nd pic, so it's obviously a different stamping tool (in addition to the other changes).

Anyone know?

It doesn't hold any info, but here's the link to the whole car...
1963 Chrysler Newport | eBay

1679657942612.png

$_57.jpg

Interesting. Initially, I thought it was a proper air cleaner, just clocked wrong. Pre-1966 air cleaner, for certain, as that year was the first to have the Cleaner Air Package available, which had the nipple for the crankcase breather hose. In 1966, that was a mandatory California thing. It appears someone had the engine out once upon a time, as Corporate Blue wasn't an engine color in 1963. Therefore, the air cleaner might be from another make...Studebaker or AMC, maybe?

Interesting, indeed.

Anybody seen this air cleaner before and know what it belongs to?

I've never seen one of these 63-66 non-piepan cake-pan air cleaners with the ribs in the center section. (62-earlier std-performance air cleaner was smaller dia and had none of the OD ribs - it's totally different)
The shape around the wingnut isn't even the same as the 'normal' air cleaner, it's flatter, and isn't as tall.
But the grooves near the OD, the snorkel, the indentation just CCW of the snorkel - are all Chrysler.
Quite curiously, it does seem to have an extra groove vs the the same spot in the 2nd pic, so it's obviously a different stamping tool (in addition to the other changes).

Anyone know?

It doesn't hold any info, but here's the link to the whole car...
1963 Chrysler Newport | eBay

View attachment 588388
View attachment 588389
647F8052-69BD-45C7-BF9E-1E015F3FA01C.jpeg

This is the one on my 64 413

I went on Nicks Garage and checked out the air cleaner ID page, nothing that looks like that.

I've owned several Sweptline pickups, nothing like that on those. As for the larger D/W 300-900 series, the A600, and the C-series trucks, the gassers tended to use oil bath air cleaners.

Never saw that air cleaner design before...I got nothing on this one.

I went on Nicks Garage and checked out the air cleaner ID page, nothing that looks like that.
I didn't bother - been there too many times in teh past. I knew I hadn't seen this before.

Truck or Industrial air cleaner swap out?
@patrick66 covered it already, but most any truck aircleaner I've seen is smaller dia and taller than most car versions.
J.C. Whitney replacement?
Awful lot of stamping details in it, especially for an ugly non-performance thing like this.
And it has way too many Chrysler details in it for aftermarket. Although the blue-circled groove is really strange to see.

Therefore, the air cleaner might be from another make...Studebaker or AMC, maybe?
I wondered, too, if it was form some orphan brand. Stude and AMC would've been the only ones left in the 60s (well, except DeSoto).
I goog'd 1965 AMC air cleaner and got this, which resembles a late-50s 413 version.
1679694170389.png

The Goog also turned up some other interesting ones.

Here's 64-65 Buick 300cid V8. But it has 6 grooves in the center and the one in question looks to have 8.
And the snorkel is different and indentations are missing.
s-l1600.jpg

And 64 Olds 330civ 4-barrel:
s-l1600.jpg

The Goog also turned up some other interesting ones.

Here's 64-65 Buick 300cid V8. But it has 6 grooves in the center and the one in question looks to have 8.
And the snorkel is different and indentations are missing.
View attachment 588507

And 64 Olds 330civ 4-barrel:
View attachment 588508
My first thought was early 60's GM. Looking at the ribs in the center of the top, they are reversed from the GM and the GM air cleaners seem to have oval air horns so I ruled those out.

I think you're going to find it's a Mopar air cleaner... Just figuring out which is going to be the challenge.

My first thought was early 60's GM. Looking at the ribs in the center of the top, they are reversed from the GM and the GM air cleaners seem to have oval air horns so I ruled those out.

I think you're going to find it's a Mopar air cleaner... Just figuring out which is going to be the challenge.
Good catch, I didn't notice the GM grooves were scallops and not ridges.
Quest continues...

Back