What are you working on today??

oh yeah, no need to take a loss

thumbnail (12).jpg

That sounds more fun. Yesterday I replaced all 4 brakes rotors pads and 2 calipers on my wife’s 2011 Honda Pilot. Even the emergency brakes (internal drums). Everything was frozen. Don’t think they lubed the glide pins or checked calipers when she had them done last year. What a PIA…but boy they work great now. 200k car. She now drives safe.

Thought it'd be a good change of pace to work on the B body today.
Going to pull the engine/trans, go through them, re-gasket some minor leaks that have developed over the last 12 years, clean up the engine bay and repaint the engine.

RT_Morris 2021.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

012.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

Little trick I use to protect my radiators from damage when removing/installing the fan...slip some cardboard down between the rad and the fan and then if the fan falls off, or is stubborn and doesn't want to let go and then sudden pops off, you won't crunch any fins on the rad. ;)

Added a budget hidden stereo system to my Polara. I couldn't justify spending $500 + for a Retrosound system, or the $800 + to have my original radio retrofitted with modern internals. After a few evenings crafting a speaker housing and a new glovebox insert, I have a system that works just as good, with less than $100 invested.

20220815_185220.jpg
20220815_185744.jpg
20220812_194848.jpg
20220813_184641.jpg
20220813_211510.jpg

The 440 is out and the parts lists will get put together soon. Maybe some upgrades are in store.
After checking the rod bearings the torque on the ARP bolts was more than than the FSM spec of 45 ft lbs.
I need to check the what the torque spec is supposed to be when using the ARP bolts on the rods.

20220819_173143.jpg

20220819_190538.jpg

20220820_154749.jpg

Had a 24 kW generator installation completed today.
I can monitor it with my phone, as it’s connected to the WiFi at the house.
We went without power for about an hour, while they connected the transfer switch.
Yay!

0180C36A-CA58-47E0-89B2-F6B1F27E1E5F.jpeg

Had the left rear tire come off while pulling out of the driveway. Replacing the brake parts along with front caliper guide pins. Fortunately the qtr panel wasn't damaged. Not sure how it happened, had the lugs torqued to 85 ft-lbs.

This last Sunday I put a new Evans engine wiring harness in. Had to figure out my upgraded alternator wasn't grounded enough. Cleaned up a bunch of aftermarket wiring I have in the engine bay and wrapped the bundle in electrical tape to pretty it up a little. Working on getting the wiring right for my fitech to control my electric fan. And today I made some adjustments to the steering but it started raining and I don't take it out in bad weather. Sunday I get a power distribution hub to hide some of my excessive wiring. Spending the next days making engine bay look better. And run better.

While tearing down the 440, found one lifter was wrecked in #3.
047.jpg
046.jpg
051.jpg

On a brighter note, some new parts arrived....

53.jpg

20220828_191844.jpg

Tidied up the back corner of the garage. Nearly two wheelie bins full of rain-sodden, ruined stuff. Christmas decorations, carpet from the Fury, underlayment.
Need to get a shed to put everything into and then I can tear the rest down, catalog and think about putting up new.

Tomorrow makes the anniversary of it all coming crashing down.

Had the left rear tire come off while pulling out of the driveway. Replacing the brake parts along with front caliper guide pins. Fortunately the qtr panel wasn't damaged. Not sure how it happened, had the lugs torqued to 85 ft-lbs.

Suggest you check your rear wheel bearings. There may be an issue there. . .

Suggest you check your rear wheel bearings. There may be an issue there. . .
I'll look at that when I jack it up and get it apart. I did have that bearing replaced about 16 years ago, greased the crap out of it when reinstalling it too. i suspect it may be due to swapping the left hand studs with right hand studs and not checking the torque on them several times. I did it a couple times and they were loose after driving a couple miles. I expected that. Didn't think about doing it again. Last time they were tight when I checked. Thinking about a bit of loctite on them to keep it from happening again. Got lucky this time. Was going slow when it happened. Would have destroyed the qtr panel if I was at highway speed. Probably destroy the car.

I'll look at that when I jack it up and get it apart. I did have that bearing replaced about 16 years ago, greased the crap out of it when reinstalling it too. i suspect it may be due to swapping the left hand studs with right hand studs and not checking the torque on them several times. I did it a couple times and they were loose after driving a couple miles. I expected that. Didn't think about doing it again. Last time they were tight when I checked. Thinking about a bit of loctite on them to keep it from happening again. Got lucky this time. Was going slow when it happened. Would have destroyed the qtr panel if I was at highway speed. Probably destroy the car.

I think you have some bigger issues if the lug nuts are coming loose after only a couple miles...and this is happening more then once! How did you install the new wheel studs, Maybe they got stretched? Also how old are your lugnuts, are they good quality or cheap/sketchy off shore units?

I think you have some bigger issues if the lug nuts are coming loose after only a couple miles...and this is happening more then once! How did you install the new wheel studs, Maybe they got stretched? Also how old are your lugnuts, are they good quality or cheap/sketchy off shore units?
Basically I threaded the original nut onto the stud, hit it with a hammer to drive it out of the axle flange. The new studs (from oreilly) were placed in the axle flange, a series of washers were placed on the opposite side and the nut was tightened to pull the stud into the axle flange. Once the tire was installed and driven for a couple miles they were retightened several times to make sure the studs were seated. They were checked several times in the few months after installation. That was 3-4 years ago. Since that time aftermarket wheels (American racing) were installed and different chrome lugs were used. If lugs are the issue that would be where I have a concern, they were an off the shelf item. However, none of the other wheels has an issue.

My observation is all 5 seemed to disappear at once. And no apparent damage to the threads on the studs. This is after towing the vehicle on a trailer from Minnesota to Tx during a move. They were present when driven on the trailer (A uhaul car hauler). Maybe it's a case of vandalism but I can't be sure. I doubt it though, it would require having the proprietary socket to remove them. Not something the typical person would have in their toolbox. As well as removing an reinstalling the fender skirt.

So I finished this this weekend, I picked it up earlier this year with a bad engine. 2.4 Equinox engines will have a issue with the PCV plugging eventually (high mileage) and during winter months the crankcase blow by that would normally be sucked up by the PCV, gets pushed into the airbox from the fresh air tube and will freeze. Then with no outlet crankcase pressure rises and 9 out of 10 times it will blow out the rear main seal. Large amounts of oil leakage causes bad things to happen, I got this one with a set up engine.

I don't have any pic's off the tear down or reassembly, but what I did was I pulled the engine and tore the head and all the parts I wanted off. I happened to by installing a 2.4 in a Terrain so I took the core short block and sent this one back as the core with the Terrain's junk head.
I tore the short block down, cleaned everything, new rings, bearings, rear main seal, sent the head to my machinist to get flattened, cleaned all carbon from the valves and ports ( horrible on direct injection engines) new valve seals, cam phasers, timing chain kit and balance shaft kit, gaskets, head bolts. Put it all back together and jammed it in Saturday. Got it started yesterday, changed the trans fluid and filled the coolant. I need to turn the brake rotors (rusty from sitting) and my Son and Daughter in Law will have a new to them ride at a good price. It's hers I guess

Here is the empty hole

Equinox 1.jpg

Here is what I am putting in the hole

Equinox 2.jpg

A quick video of it running.

Working on a non-Mopar product today. I set upon completely overhauling all the brakes on my Camry, calipers, pads, and rotors, front to back. The rears were installed without any issues, however, I can't say the same for the front.

The first red flag: the reman front calipers said Cardone on the box. Normally, that's enough for me to ask for something else. However, nothing else was available until tomorrow, and I want / need this car back on the road. I decided to bite the bullet. Right off the bat , none of the hardware came with either caliper. We were able to piece together what I needed at the parts store, and off I went. Once I got home, and got to work installing this crap, the mistake I made was immediately apparent.

The caliper bracket on the passenger side won't even hold the pads.

IMG_20220912_170420_01.jpg

Compared to the other side, I estimate there is at least half to three quarters of an inch difference. They might as well have just taken a dump in the box. So now I'm stuck waiting for replacements, the Dodge is stuck out in the rain, and my primary vehicle is out of commission. :mad::mad::mad:

Moral of the story: don't ever use Cardone parts. Ever. I mean it.

Last edited:
Back