What are you working on today??

BAD PARTS STRIKE AGAIN!!

I've been really getting my *** kicked on this Camry. So far, I've been through 3 sets of calipers, and none will fit. The brackets will either not hold the pads, and the ones that do won't clear the rotor. There are no other pads that cross reference to this car. I am at a loss. The auto parts industry has really deteriorated to a low point. That's saying it kindly. At this point, it doesn't matter what's printed on the box. It's all garbage.

We're in serious trouble, boys.

Working on a non-Mopar product today. I set upon completely overhauling all the brakes on my Camry, calipers, pads, and rotors, front to back. The rears were installed without any issues, however, I can't say the same for the front.

The first red flag: the reman front calipers said Cardone on the box. Normally, that's enough for me to ask for something else. However, nothing else was available until tomorrow, and I want / need this car back on the road. I decided to bite the bullet. Right off the bat , none of the hardware came with either caliper. We were able to piece together what I needed at the parts store, and off I went. Once I got home, and got to work installing this crap, the mistake I made was immediately apparent.

The caliper bracket on the passenger side won't even hold the pads.

View attachment 557681

Compared to the other side, I estimate there is at least half to three quarters of an inch difference. They might as well have just taken a dump in the box. So now I'm stuck waiting for replacements, the Dodge is stuck out in the rain, and my primary vehicle is out of commission. :mad::mad::mad:

Moral of the story: don't ever use Cardone parts. Ever. I mean it.
Cardone used to be good, I don't know when the wheels fell off the bus but I have also quit using them a few years ago. For brake calipers we use either Napa calipers or Perfect stop calipers from Auto Valve. I have had good luck with both.

Had it out with the manager of the parts store today when I asked for my old caliper brackets. At first he insinuated that I was stupid by installing them incorrectly, as there was no possible way three different caliper sets could be faulty. I was more than happy to set him straight. I challenged him to find the pads that are supposed to fit. He couldn't. 1- 0 for me.

The next excuse he had was that I didn't actually know the year of my own car. When that excuse didn't hold water either, he went back to his original stance that their parts are quality parts and there was no way there could be anything wrong with their parts. The cognitive dissonance was strong with this one. However, after realizing he painted himself into a corner, he finally caved. The proof was in the pudding. 2 - 0 for me.

So, with my old cores in hand, I went to a couple other stores in town, and same story there as the first. After all that, I found just one that actually fit the driver's side, seemingly by fluke. Same part number as the rest. But actually the right part. So I have one side at least.

Never ever never never ever turn in cores until the job is complete and road tested for several years. Bite the bullet and eat the core charges till the replacements prove worthwhile.
Or, depending on the part, get the core re-manned and have a spare on the shelf. I used to do that with brake shoes when there were re-liners nearby.

Never ever never never ever turn in cores until the job is complete and road tested for several years. Bite the bullet and eat the core charges till the replacements prove worthwhile.
Or, depending on the part, get the core re-manned and have a spare on the shelf. I used to do that with brake shoes when there were re-liners nearby.
I like that. That may be what I have to do as it turns out anyway.

Repaired the seat of the golf cart today, the original being chipboard had disintegrated.
A slightly more modern Mopar- did a double take earlier on today. Went knock at this house, because that's my wife's old truck we sold 11 years ago just appeared outside. It had 733,000 miles on then, now 1,400,000 and the guy bought it as a farm hack but it still runs nicely. The body's falling apart, though.

20220915_165653.jpg

Seats in the 70 . Does anyone know of where I could get the seat buttons, the small buttons that go in each seat cushion. Thanks

20220915_144314 (1).jpg

Repaired the seat of the golf cart today, the original being chipboard had disintegrated.
A slightly more modern Mopar- did a double take earlier on today. Went knock at this house, because that's my wife's old truck we sold 11 years ago just appeared outside. It had 733,000 miles on then, now 1,400,000 and the guy bought it as a farm hack but it still runs nicely. The body's falling apart, though.

View attachment 558595
OK, I’ll bite, why did your wife drive a flatbed service truck? Lol

Spent this Saturday getting the '81 all cleaned up and shiny again. I didn't realise just how much it needed this bath. Got to get ready for the last show of the year tomorrow.
Also trying to get the drivers side power window figured out. About a third of the time it works great (if I pound on the door), but now I have to pull it back up. Always something, right......but anyway here's some eye candy.
IMG_20220917_171724332.jpg

I've seen threads where people have used the "new" parts as rebuilds for their original calipers...remove the pistons and seals and swap to their OEM units.

I had to do a master cylinder and brake booster on my daughter 1988 Aries, as well as replace the power steering pump.

The brake booster took a couple hours, master cylinder under 30 minutes but that power steering pump was a nightmare! I spent about 6.5 hours doing that job, Horrible location with no easy way to get the unit in/out, then the pulley swap alone took 2 hours...I have the right tool kit for the swap and the pressed pulley came off fine...but trying to install it on the new PS pump shaft it would only move a few thousands of an inch then the tool would back off...remove tighten back up and try again....I put grease on the surfaces to help install and even tried heating the pulley bore but nothing helped so it was just a tedious slog to get the pulley into place. :(

Never mic'd the shaft or bore but I assume the reman PS pump shaft was just slightly larger then the OEM unit hence the reason for the slow install. I was tempted a couple times to just take it over to the press and be done with it but I knew that I'd ruin the pump if I did, so much sadness and few times of screaming obsenities and the job was finally done.....Things we do for your kids! ;)

Bought a new shop vac after the last one got destroyed.
20220917_181653.jpg

This one is not bad, 6hp 10 gal. $78 at Sam's, braved Stanley for whatever that's worth these days.
It works well though, moves a lot of air, which is good for vacuuming out the frame.

Swapped out the old nylon timing gear with a new Cloyes set in the Caddy. Replaced the radiator, ac compressor, water pump and fuel pump in the process. Parts are getting expensive!

20220815_145935.jpg

20220902_131236.jpg

Got to spend the day with my brother when he stopped over this morning to replace the sending unit in his 96 Chevy van.
After draining the gas using a siphoning hose down the filler neck, and blasting air from the air compressor at the same time, the old gas flowed out pretty quickly. The tank removal and install is alot easier having an extra set of hand on that long gas tank.
We got everything done in about 5 hours.

20220918_151750.jpg

20220918_125231.jpg

Trading out sub frames and front clip on this 62 300. One of my favorite things to do is to place a parts car next to a restoration project and transfer the best pieces over.

7FD7A8B2-2A98-4B1B-BF78-2177906055D1.jpeg

387F5F85-4C1C-4083-A084-EF74B160AC7E.jpeg

9050CF68-B77E-47DF-A237-3DBAB803838E.jpeg

A8E5CB9A-EF89-46AA-A8EF-35937636266B.jpeg

8CC12B33-DFC8-4857-80C0-72401428C305.jpeg

3FA6E0A1-5F9F-425C-A81B-4D2016461D4E.jpeg

98117F11-A9AA-4FDE-9F1F-42FD7CC9AEF7.jpeg

Replaced starter in the 2002 F-350. Bolts holding starter together came loose after stripping out the front end of the starter where they attached. Also replaced the ignition switch as I occasionally could not start the truck in park.
Truck is running very well at ~240k miles.
25ED1E80-FFF6-4343-881B-D0479CB39D3C.jpeg

Back