What brake line is best?

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I am going to be making up new brake lines for my cars as an ongoing project, so I am going to be buying coils of brake line, my question is this. What is best? Zinc plated or Copper Nickel plated? And do I use the 3/8ths tubing? I think that's the size used originally.

I think you mean 3/16th's or 1/4. I think 3/8ths is for fuel line. Do yourself a favor and buy the snapon. If you're going to be making a lot of flares you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Oops I meant 3/16th yes. So copper nickel is best?

Never - ever use copper tube for a brake line. Vibration will crack it, high pressure will expand it.

Stainless. It's a little harder to fare and bend but is forever. Good tools such as a snap on faring tool and a rigid bender will help.

Never - ever use copper tube for a brake line. Vibration will crack it, high pressure will expand it.

Stainless. It's a little harder to fare and bend but is forever. Good tools such as a snap on faring tool and a rigid bender will help.

I agree, The Snapon Flare kit is like 70 bucks vs 219 for the Eastwood. I'm not saying the Eastwood isn't a good tool but with the generation of cars we have its very unlikely that you would even use half of that tool. If you want to go all out get the hydraulic Master Cool flare kit... but again you probably would never use 1/2 of it. Snapon/BluePoint has a real nice tubing bender also, I believe its a TBS300 it fits 3 sizes of tubing for making very tight radius bends and keep it looking professional. Here is a link to some pics of the benders they have.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...7575EA0DFDF9CFEC6C058A99BE0C4&selectedIndex=6

the cooper nickel he refers is made and approved for brakelines

I used double wall copperized steel with galvanized zinc brake line from JEGS. Mine is black powder coated. The stuff is easy to use, flares easily and looks very nice in black.

Back