What Is "Correct" For A 1970-1971 Monaco Headlight Bezel?

SportFury70

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not because I am not a Monaco guy, but I got these 1970-1971 Monaco Headlight Bezels that I am polishing up that will soon be up for sale here if anyone is interested. I am polishing them up with fine 0000 steel wool and I got the left side bezel polished so far. I currently stopped with polishing and did not polish the right bezel yet because I have a couple questions I want to ask to know what exactly is correct before I continue. The lens trim ring where the light goes into (if that makes sense) is all polished and is chrome along with the chrome edges around the bezel itself (if that makes sense), and the back is all polished up and is chrome BUT there was some black paint that my stepdad says was over-spray that I took off. I looked at pictures online of cars (and even at NOS ones currently for sale which I am basing this post off of), and it looks like where I polished already on the lens where the headlight goes is supposed to be what looks to be gray or not polished like in my 2nd post of pictures and like the NOS ones, and the back is supposed to be black and also like in my 2nd post of pictures and like the NOS ones. I just don't want to keep polishing them and mess up something (like I think I already did), that I polished when it is NOT supposed to be for a driver or a "correct restoration".

My questions to you experts is.....

1) Did I polish the first bezel wrong?,

2) Is ALL of the bezel front and back supposed to be chrome like I have the polished one already in my 1st set of pictures?,

3) Is the bezel supposed to be gray or not polished exactly like my 2nd set of pictures where the headlight goes? and,

4) Is the back supposed to have black over-spray like my 2nd set of pictures?

If I am doing it wrong OR if it doesn't really matter PLEASE tell me so, or if I am doing it right I will keep going with polishing.

Thank you all for the help and advice in advance!

Here is the first set of pictures with the left side bezel I already polished......

bezel 1.jpg

bezel 2.jpg

bezel 3.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the right side bezel that looks to be gray or not polished exactly like the NOS ones I found for sale, and the back is supposed to be black like NOS ones.......

Here is the second set of pictures with the bezel that is NOT polished......

bezel 4.jpg

bezel 5.jpg

bezel 6.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of random ones on cars I found, which I unfortunately cannot tell the difference from......

monaco-superlite.jpg

1970_dodge_polara_police-1.jpg

Here are the NOS ones for sale I found, and there are 2 different sets (or one set from one seller and one set from another)......

NOS 1.jpg

NOS 2.jpg

NOS 3.jpg

NOS 4.jpg

Let me know what you all think, by these pictures here it looks like I messed up the one I already polished. Thank you all again for any help, tips, and suggestions!

Just walked outside to look at the ones on my '70 DH43N0D, built in March, 1970.

The inner surfaces that the headlights shine through are satin black. The outer rings of those "barrels" is satin silver. The only chrome is on the outer and center (horizontal) trim ribs (which have the satin black in the grooves). Of course, the "texture" crosshatch at the back of the bezel casting is satin black, too, with the crosshatch in a more-satiny chrome finish.

Looking at those lower-resolution Internet pictures only does not always "tell the tale". But considering the lower number of DH43s sold in those years, not a whole lot, so you having seen one in person might be difficult to do.

Now, there are different types/finishes in "chrome". "Bumper" chrome is usually the shiniest OEM finish, but it is NOT nearly as shiny as "show chrome" is, by observation. Not as expensive to do, even back then, as show chrome is. The chrome on the bezels and grille are a bit more satiny that the bumper chrome is, but still shiny.

Congrats on your diligence, but sometimes we make things prettier than they were when new, in seeking to make them good. Which can lead into the "over-restoration" issue a bit.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

@SportFury70 -- Here is a photo I took of a Butterly that had a terminal encounter with Medina, my 1971 Monaco last Fall. Pardon the numerous bugs all over the brightwork: they don't obscure the fact that, whatever your bezels are, they don't come from a 1971 Monaco.
IMG_2574.JPG

Last edited:
Back