What is the best spark plug for carbon fouling?

Northcoast300h

Reaction score
I have 1 cylinder in my 1970 440 that carbon fouls, almost positive its a valve issue. All other plugs still look great. (Bosch Platinums). Engine has 154,000 miles and car was abused before I bought it 20yrs ago. Per pic, I know I waited too long to check spark plugs. Carbon fouling to point of misfire usually takes 10yrs (I only put 700 miles per yr, so 7000 miles). Always misses a little when first started but all 8 fire after a couple minutes. I'm lazy and cheap so I've tried additives to clean the valves. It worked a little but still carbon fouls. Since I'm lazy/cheap, I'm not going to do a valve job and would like to know what spark plug to buy.

From what I've read, I need to buy a hot plug with the same length or a plug engineered for carbon fouling. I think a NGK XR5IX (for 440 - part#NGK 7355) would work or am I reading the attached cross ref incorrectly (5 is a hot plug) I have a headache now from the hours of looking at spark plugs online, so would like to hear from others.

Will there be any problem with running 1 hot NGK and the remainder the old Boschs?

Thanks
349892274_3104190453209953_6742868393756201012_n.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 20-23-40 NGK XR4 Spark Plug for Big Block Mopar Applications. O.E.png

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 20-30-26 NGK Spark Plugs XR5IX NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs Summit Racing.png

I don't think you need a valve job, maybe just a valve seal. Anyway, if you were to put a different plug in one cylinder, as long as it was firing I don't think you'd notice any difference at all.

Look at the heat range cross to Champions. J-12Y or even J-14Y were normal heat ranges, back then, for Chrysler 383s and 440s. The NGK you have chosen is a notch COLDER than the J-14Y cross.

From the magnitude of what I see, I don't see how that could be just "a seal" on that one cylinder, but it's probably a failed oil scraper ring instead.

There are "non-foulers" you can buy for spark plugs. They are basically a bushing you put into the spark plug hole, then screw the spark plug into it. It puts the plug in more of a protected place (out of the main air/fuel mixture area so any oil will not get directly on it. Therefore, it is less prone to fouling from oil and such . . . allegedly. That, plus making sure the affected plug wire is in good condition, too.

IF that plug is gas-fouling, you should be smelling gas in the motor oil, as in smelling what's on the dipstick. NOT good. Clean that plug up and get a non-fouler for it.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

x2 on the anti fouler. Just going up a heat range on the plug is not going to cut it, and a -5 NGK is the stock heat range, you'd need to go to a -4 at a minimum, but with all of the oil on that plug it isn't going to resolve it. The anti-fouler worked for me on a Pontiac 400 I had. The oil is reducing the octane but as long as you drive it gingerly it should help get you by until you decide to fix either the valve guide or rings in the one cylinder with oil control issues.

Please understand that changing the heat range has nothing to do with the length or reach of the plug. The heat range is determined by how far the ceramic reaches into the plug case before it touches. The hotter the plug the further into the case the ceramic goes. Most Auto part stores look ups favor the hotter part numbers already, If, by some miracle they still have an NGK book on hand, the guide used to be in the first few pages. Ask for the book and study it. Then look for the numbers you may need. Don't be surprised if what you want isn't on the shelf. The length of the plug does not change with the design family of that plug. You'll have to change plug family. It's been a long time, I used to be able to recite all definitions of each initial in an NGK part number. And all other brands for that matter. I can tell you that changing the reach can be quite dangerous for obvious reasons. The heat range however, should prolong the "foul out" of the plug. At least a little. I agree with a non- fouler. There's one in my Dodge too.

NGK XR5 V-POWER is what you need . They resist fouling to a high degree. I been using them in my 383 and I’m very happy with them . A few of my mopar friends started using them in their 383’s with great results. We all switched over from champion J-12Y. Good luck
IMG_2009.jpeg

I have 1 cylinder in my 1970 440 that carbon fouls, almost positive its a valve issue. All other plugs still look great. (Bosch Platinums). Engine has 154,000 miles and car was abused before I bought it 20yrs ago. Per pic, I know I waited too long to check spark plugs. Carbon fouling to point of misfire usually takes 10yrs (I only put 700 miles per yr, so 7000 miles). Always misses a little when first started but all 8 fire after a couple minutes. I'm lazy and cheap so I've tried additives to clean the valves. It worked a little but still carbon fouls. Since I'm lazy/cheap, I'm not going to do a valve job and would like to know what spark plug to buy.

From what I've read, I need to buy a hot plug with the same length or a plug engineered for carbon fouling. I think a NGK XR5IX (for 440 - part#NGK 7355) would work or am I reading the attached cross ref incorrectly (5 is a hot plug) I have a headache now from the hours of looking at spark plugs online, so would like to hear from others.

Will there be any problem with running 1 hot NGK and the remainder the old Boschs?

Thanks
View attachment 601657
View attachment 601661

View attachment 601662
Looks like a

Thanks
View attachment 601657
View attachment 601661

View attachment 601662
Looks like an oil-fouled plug caused by oil getting into the cylinder via bad rings or valve guides that are worn! That is one nasty plug!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the XR5's in an oil fouler and see if it helps. I never had luck finding anyone honest to fix my cars. I always got screwed out of thousands, so I just try to fix them myself and run them until they blow up.

For 20yrs, I've changed the oil every 1000 miles (every year and a half). The oil pan was crushed from someone probably jumping the car before I got it, so only 4 quarts fits (see pic). I don't think the crushed part is interfering with the oil pump since I added an oil gauge and pressure is healthy....but who knows? Oil is usually black and smells like carbon, so yeah rings are probably bad in that cylinder, but I never noticed a gas smell. When I punch it, most of the time its a thin grey color, however if I go weeks without engaging the secondaries, then there is a good sized grey cloud that forms behind me. It makes me smile when someone is tailgating me.

When I first got it from the junk yard 20 yrs ago, they said it hasn't started in 10yrs sitting out in a field and needed a new engine. I replaced the rotted fuel tank and lines and got it going and engine starts and runs good since then. I consider myself lucky to drive it for 20yrs with the same old engine and only once broke down on me..(original coil fried). I've upgraded to electronic ignition and thermoquad carb which helped with MPG, starting, smooth idle.

Thanks for your help. You guys are great.
IMG_E3553.JPG

I've had good luck with Autolite 86, which is 1 heat range hotter (85 is 'normal').

You could also have a leaking intake/valley pan gasket, and the offending cylinder is sucking oil in.
I've never experienced that, but a buddy has.

I just read that running a hotter plug will increase the chances of detonating, so I guess I'll just try the oil fouler with a new plug (same heat range as what I got in there).

heatrange-explained.jpg

I doubt going 1 range hotter would cause detonation. I've never noticed it in my cars.
But, oil in a combustion charge reportedly can cause detonation, so there's that. YMMV from mine.

It’s going to be at risk of detonation anyway with all the oil in that cylinder- the oil drastically reduces the octane of the fuel.

I run -6’s in my motor for street driving and -8’s when on nitrous. A -5 or -4 in that single cylinder isn’t going to be detrimental as long as you aren’t going to full throttle.

It’s going to be at risk of detonation anyway with all the oil in that cylinder- the oil drastically reduces the octane of the fuel.

I run -6’s in my motor for street driving and -8’s when on nitrous. A -5 or -4 in that single cylinder isn’t going to be detrimental as long as you aren’t going to full throttle.
Its probably the reason why I have to run at least 92. Oh well, I don't know any honest rebuilders so I'll just drive it until it stops. I've been screwed too many times for large preventative maintenance I can't do. (like when a trans shop charged me $1000 to replace the bearings in my rear end to stop noise). All they did was put graphite shavings inside. Kept it silent for a few months. After proving it to them, they said "Well, then sue us". Courts cost too much. Thanks for the info.

Back