What sort of valve spring compressor best suits Moparian V8 amateurs?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Apropos of my previous thread on valve seats, I now ponder what sort of valve spring compressor I need to begin work on my cylinder heads which I CAN reasonably do without unreasonable chances of ruin. I own a small, cheap, poorly made valve spring compressor which I wouldn't trust on a lawn mower valve, so I want something large enough to easily, reliably compress the valve springs on these numerous cylinder heads I've horded these past 5 years. Advice from professionals and amateurs alike much sought at this time.

Thanks in 12.5 degrees advance.

G'Day,
Couldn't Help you with a Brand Name But Many Years ago (about 50) I Purchased a Side Valve, Valve Puller.
Still Got It!
Originally Purchased for use on a 1956 "Q" Flat Six I Still use it Nowadays on BB Heads (Admittedly Not Terribly Often)
But it is a Simple Device that works well & trusting to Memory it wasn't Very Expensive!
Regards Tony.M
P.S.
From Memory they actually make an Air-Operated Model for Work Shops, But unless you were looking at Doing "LOTS" of Heads I wouldn't Worry.

G'Day,
Couldn't Help you with a Brand Name But Many Years ago (about 50) I Purchased a Side Valve, Valve Puller.
Still Got It!
Originally Purchased for use on a 1956 "Q" Flat Six I Still use it Nowadays on BB Heads (Admittedly Not Terribly Often)
But it is a Simple Device that works well & trusting to Memory it wasn't Very Expensive!
Regards Tony.M

THX Tony! As it turned out, I saw a posting on the A bodies forum recommending a Snap-On CF-17A C clamp type compressor, which actually was one I found on ePay tonight! Given how the A-Bodies thread is 5 yrs old, I don't think it was a sales pitch. Several of them extolled the merits of that particular tool. So, I believe I'm blessed in this regard....

Last edited:
I used to own that same Snap-On item, and it has seen many very stiff "double" racing-style valve springs in its time.

If you find the tool to be somewhat fiddly, such as getting the jaws adjusted for the retainer diameter, setting the screw portion for enough compression of the spring assembly, working the compression lever, and the release pistol grip, you're correct to think so. It's fiddly. But it's strong and safe.

Here's a tip: When you're releasing the tool's pressure on the assembled spring/retainer/locks, you squeeze the "pistol grip" portion of the tool to do so. It's not a pleasant task, and sixteen uses in a row can cause a blister or a pinch. I would make sure my right hand and the tool was totally clean of dirt and grit, and then heavily lube my hand with motor oil so the grip portion would slide easily on my skin. Sounds a bit weird, but.....

Last edited:
I used to own that same Snap-On item, and....

s totally clean of dirt and grit, and then heavily lube my hand with motor oil so the grip portion would slide easily on my skin. Sounds a bit weird, but.....

I understand. Nothin weird about this. Might prefer lanolin on the skin, as motor oil isn't so healthy really.....

as motor oil isn't so healthy really.....
That applies to used oil, not new. For instance, here's an MSD for Mobil 1:

upload_2021-7-13_16-52-13.png

This is MSD for conventional (dino) oil:

upload_2021-7-13_16-58-22.png

upload_2021-7-13_16-59-46.png

upload_2021-7-13_17-1-0.png

I understand. Nothin weird about this. Might prefer lanolin on the skin, as motor oil isn't so healthy really.....

Gloves? And I'm not talking about the wussy latex type gloves but heavy leather workman gloves or welder gloves. Also comes in handy for handling hot parts that you don't have time to wait for them to cool down.

Oh and back too OP, large Snap On valve spring compressor for cars/trucks, plus several other fairly well made (USA) smaller spring compressors for working on motorcycles & small engines. Plus some pipe cut homemade adapter spacers for certain applications. (Z1 Kawa's etc)

Yeah, a nice thick leather glove would probably work fine. I didn't HAVE any when I started using this tool in my teens. And the "pistol grip" apparatus does kinda need to slide across the web of your thumb as you squeeze the grip to open the compressor, thus my discovery of lots of motor oil. Clean, new oil, of course.

Gloves? And I'm not talking about the wussy latex type gloves but heavy leather workman gloves or welder gloves. Also comes in handy for handling hot parts that you don't have time to wait for them to cool down.

Yes, work gloves are prudent in my book. I don't trust even CLEAN motor oil in contact with my hide for any length of time. Hydrocarbons DISSOLVE LIVING TISSUE!

Back