What the heck is that?!

Arzak

Reaction score
Just like the title says, what the heck is that? A mystery tube going somewhere into the firewall. its on the passenger side, so I have no clue what it is supposed to be hooked up to, as is its just dangling by the exhaust header. Has a metal line to the firewall, and then comes to the hose end that is just floating there.
I only noticed it as I recently purchased a replacement vacuum actuated water valve since the old one was leaking, and was taking note of things on that side of the engine bay.
IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

I think that's the vacuum line for the heater control.

What is the new heater valve vacuum hose hooked to??

I was looking at the antenna grommet in the firewall.. Now I see what you are talking about.

I have no such line on my 70 300 vert.

Does this car have a rear A/C or heater??

I was looking at the antenna grommet in the firewall.. Now I see what you are talking about.

I have no such line on my 70 300 vert.

Does this car have a rear A/C or heater??

No rear heat or air. Currently the heat/ac controls do nothing when pressed or moved, so I'm guessing this is the vacuum line for that, but my service manual does a lousy job of showing what the proper connection should be in the engine area. "IF" that is what I'm looking at.

I went out and took another photo, and circled the "mystery" hose and the metal line juncture.

IMG_0833.jpg

The rubber hose is just dangling there.

IMG_0833.jpg

There is a supposed to be a fuel vapor canister to handle excess fuel vapor. The part you have circle was attached to it. at least on the 71'.

That car is apparently equipped with the evaporative emission controls that were required on California cars at least, but not the rest of the country. This was before the evaporative charcoal canister days that came later. This line routes the fuel vapors from the fuel tank to the engine crankcase via the breather, where they are burned off when the engine gets hot and running, via the PCV system. Your car should also have a pipe looking apparatus inside the trunk on the right side and also about 6 nipples/hoses leading from the right side of the fuel tank and routed into the pipe device to condense vapors into liquid to go back into the tank to minimize the amount of fuel going to the engine (those 6 hoses are shielded by a metal cover on the right side of the tank underneath the right quarter panel). The line in the engine compartment gets routed to the breather, that has 2 auxiliary nipples on it, rather than the standard breather with one such nipple. The second nipple on the breather is used to route vapors from the carburetor bowl when the engine is shut off also into the engine crankcase. That is why it was important to change the oil more frequently due to more than usual contamination from condensed fuel. Not the best design in the world to me, and that is why the carbon canisters were a much better setup, costwise too.

Steve

Wow! I didn't even think about the fuel system since the car has an electric fuel pump now! Also, I can confirm the pipe like structure in the trunk as the fuel tank breather.

Well I got the replacement vacuum actuated water valve on, shortened the lines coming from the water pump, and noticed that one of the vacuum lines on the vacuum reservoir was cracked so I trimmed the end off and shoved it back on, went tooling down the highway to see if anything would leak, and on a whim I switched the heater on, and WE HAVE HEAT!!!

IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0835.jpg
IMG_0836.jpg

All three fan speeds work, defrost works, even the temperature adjustment made slight but noticeable changes! Tried the AC, but it just blows hot air, so no biggie there. I also took off that fuel vapor hose that was dangling, and left the hard line in place. A successful weekend repair! Time for a beer! :D

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

Well I got the replacement vacuum actuated water valve on, shortened the lines coming from the water pump, and noticed that one of the vacuum lines on the vacuum reservoir was cracked so I trimmed the end off and shoved it back on, went tooling down the highway to see if anything would leak, and on whim I switched the heater on, and WE HAVE HEAT!!!

All three fan speeds work, defrost works, even the temperature adjustment made slight but noticeable changes! Tried the AC, but it just blows hot air, so no biggie there. I also took off that fuel vapor hose that was dangling, and left the hard line in place. A successful weekend repair! Time for a beer! :D

0u3NTvg.jpg

Hi,

Searching this forum about "heater controle valve" I came to this topic. Mine original valve is leaking at the base and looking for a replacement. Also read in another topic that the original NOS valves available on Ebay and so on, will also start leaking after some time because of the weak bakelite base.
The one you used is completely metal I assume?
Can you give me some info about the one you used? Partnumber? manufacturer?

Luigi

its my understanding that these valves weren't all that good and would still allow circulation and hot air comeing into the inner compartment making things toasty on warm days...seen alota these removed or modded...even on my 71 its been removed and modded

Hi,

Searching this forum about "heater controle valve" I came to this topic. Mine original valve is leaking at the base and looking for a replacement. Also read in another topic that the original NOS valves available on Ebay and so on, will also start leaking after some time because of the weak bakelite base.
The one you used is completely metal I assume?
Can you give me some info about the one you used? Partnumber? manufacturer?

Luigi

Luigi,

I found and purchased this model Everco H1949. From the Hilltop Autoparts website.

After several months It has performed flawlessly. It appears he has another one in stock currently.

http://www.hiltopautoparts.com/product/nors-mopar-heater-control-valve-1969-71-b-c-body-w-ac/

its my understanding that these valves weren't all that good and would still allow circulation and hot air comeing into the inner compartment making things toasty on warm days...seen alota these removed or modded...even on my 71 its been removed and modded

??? Looking at the photo, your airintake is pointing to the right ?? In my car, a 1971 Newport it's pointing to the left. Did you modify that too ?? Just wondering ...

Luigi

Back