What was the last car that V.E. had input in?

The only thing about the Blackhawk that could've made it even more appealing, would've been planting a Mopar engine in it.
Seems like the 440/727 would've been the right engine/trans for this 5000 lb. heavyweight.
@Fury Pursuit I also know there were 1:18 scale plastic models that were produced around the late 70's with far more extravagant design of the Stutz, but kept the same look as the Blackhawk.
But I don't know if Exner had a hand in those too. Maybe?

In a report in Automotive News, Dec. 31, 1962, on styling at Chrysler under Elwood Engel, I see this enigmatic quote on Virgil Exner:

"Among the 350 people in styling at Chrysler, one especially familiar face, that of Virgil Exner, former styling vice-president, is seen almost daily. He works part-time in the international operation in Highland Park."

Now what do they mean by that?

I alway liked the Stutz Blackhawk (not Bearcat) design.
I could see why some people find it fuggly, just like some dislike the 72/73 Imperial or 70 Coronet. I guess I like fuggly cars.
Now I need to get a 61 Dodge to round off my collection.
Thanks for the correction Tim.

Now I can also agree on the 1961 Dodge Polaras as well, but not the Darts. I have always wanted a 61 Polara too, but they have always eluded me. Now Exner got those perfect! Maybe in my next life..............................

1662309491048.png

1662309652179.png

Now you are back on track!!!

I think for some of these cars, seeing them now, in prisitine condition, with the right colors and options, makes all the difference. The 61 Polara above is a prime example - if it were a beige 4dr sedan it would be easy to view it as ugly, but the one above transcends that. (IMHO)

Even if we don't regard them as beauty per se, seeing them still alive is a beautiful thing (and sins are therefore forgiven).

Back