Wheel & Tire sizing 65 Fury

Rooster34

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, the time has come in the yea where we can finally start pulling our babes out to enjoy the better weather up here in the northeast. I have a couple of plans for the 55 Fury this year, one of them being wheel and tire upgrades. As of right now she sit on oe 15 inch wheels with 235/70/15.

I want the rear tire and wheel to be a bit wider than the front so rear wheel would be 15x8 with a 3.75 BS rear tires would be 275/60/15. Font wheels will be 15x8 with 3.75 BS tires will be 225/70/15. I guess my question is will I be able to get a 275 on the rear with that back spacing of the wheel without and rubbing? The wheels I have selected only offer the 3.75 back spacing and I know if I go with a larger back spacing I can get a wider tires under there. I've read a lot of people go with 4.5 back spacing on the rear. Any help would be great!

Forgive Me, But I'm thinking 275s on 8" Rims maybe a Little Overkill.
I ran 275s on 8" & found them a Little Sloppy in Hard Cornering, Ended up swapping to 10" Rims on the Rear.
Only My Opinion.
Regards Tony.M

Backspacing will change with the width of the wheel. IF a normal 15x7 has a 4.25" backspacing, then a similar 15x8 would need a 4.5" backspacing for the same offset (center of the wheel in relation to its mounting surface). Some wheels will not have a 15x7/4.25" backspacing, but a 4.0" backspacing, which is still tolerable for many situations.

Back before we worried about backspacing or "offset" in non-factory wheels, there were some brands/styles that would rub on turns and bumps, necessitating a smaller diameter tire to keep those issues at bay. But they sure did look good, at the time.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks guys I appreciate it! I may stick with what's on there for now was hoping to get a bit wider maybe 255 to come down the middle of 235 and 275. The wheel I am looking at only offer the 3.75 BS was wonder if a wheel spacer would work to push it out a bit for for the clearance if I do go with the 275. Either way I may just keep what I have and do the wheels at a later date and see what people run and have success with.

Back