When I remove the old vinyl roof, do I have to remove the headliner too? (73 Imperial)

Joerg

Reaction score
My vinyl roof is now 48 years old and shrinked in the infamous areas behind the rear window - and therefore is a little bit torn there.

IMG_20210922_093936.jpg

When I want to completely remove the old vinyl roof, does this affect the windshield or the headliner?
Can the windshield stay in place or should i remove it for installation of the new vinyl roof (when it will be delivered someday)?

I´m thinking of redoing that to, after 48 years - but maybe there are things I don´t want to see underneath.

IMG20220214161931~2.jpg

As you can see on the inside here, the rear reading light fell off and the fabric from the rear limousine window surrounding is quite... hmm, old.
Does the fabric headliner have to come off, or isn´t that necessary?
(At the Lincoln Continentals Mark IV and Mark V you have to remove everything inside and out above the seats...)

Thanks for your help!

Removing the vinyl roof, you don't have to remove the windshield, back window, or anything inside. But, you do have to remove all the trim that is around the vinyl roof, and around the outside of the glass. Take your time with this.

My bad, Yes for installing, you would want remove the glass, But to just remove the vinyl roof, you don't have to take out glass.

Last edited:
From what I've seen over the years, the vinyl roof fabric should NOT have anything to do with the urethane-sealed glass on the body. The fabric is cut short so that it ends up being away from that urethane sealing location, but long enough to br under the chrome moldings. When you take the windshield and back glass moldings off, you can observe that.

You can also observe that for the smaller rear window, that is accoplished with a fibreglass plug that the smaller back glass is attached to (and is covered by the vinyl top). With the vinyl removed, you might inspect the integrity of the sealer/adhesive holding that plug in place and also see that it is not leaking between the plug and the body.

Once you get the vinyl roof removed, you THEN might need to remove the rear glass to clean and repair any rusty areas. Similar on the front. Once all of the sheet metal is clean and shiny, then repaint as needed with quality paint/primers to guard against any future rust issues, even if they might be decades in the future. Which can be lots of cleaning and prep!

You might also pay attention to the coach joints where the quarter panel, A-pillars, and the roof panel are soldered/brazed together. Many times, this was a place where the assy plant's "body shop" might skimp on things, which is another place for rust to happen, by observation.

Also plan, once the window sealing and obvious rust issues are addressed, to repaiint the entire top of the car. It was not always painted at the factory, but to best protect your investments in the car, doing a full repaint BEFORE the vinyl top is glued down can be money well spent. Just let the new top paint dry/cure for a good number of months (depending on the ciimate you are in) long enough that no paint vapors might get trapped under the vinyl skin, which is not good. Longer times are better than short ones!

It'll be great when it's all finished!
CBODY67

I hope it won't be that nasty
View attachment 559999what I found under my vinyl roof.....
but I surely hope to get the vinyl roof off after my planned trip to Germany (BBTR) next year, to get the rust out, weld if needed and paint it, before the new vinyl can be attached.

Certainly will help me to sleep better when the roof shines again without possible lurking rust underneath the old vinyl.

The climate is Central Europe, around 100m above sea level, next to the alps... ;)
Not as cold as Michigan or Minnesota in winter.
So the roof could be redone in the wintertime maybe?

Thanks again for all your help!

My experience with restoring these cars is, if you are going to remove the vinyl top, then go the distance and remove both windshield and the rear window. You’ll likely find rust etc., a perfect time to clean that up.

Rust repair and paint first, vinyl top second, new trim clips, then reseal the glass, then polish and reinstall the trim.

If you are restoring the car completely, you would install the headliner first after any rust and painting.

Good luck!

4x bushings for upper control arm:
Rare Parts #22150 TRW Ref.#TR12288
(was fitting)

bushings for lower control arm: MS25486
(did not fit exactly, had to be welded!)

Back