Where to get original material

SMS is a bit of a crap shoot regarding response and delivery. Quality is without question the best... I just keep calling till I get a live person.... But even then it can take months to get the material...

Are you people looking for just the material or for ready to install upholstery ?

The material and then take it to someone to do the work sewing it up. The material is ordered in yards and you go from there. I do know that they will emboss the material if that was how the original was in your car.

seat.jpg

Are you a stickler for authenticity a/o correctness.
A guy in our club, an old timer, does automotive upholstery.
He has a huge collection of sample books, which I have perused on occasion, and there is a lot of in-stock material out there. The designs, colors, and patterns are endless.

If your embossed area is still good, you can reuse it.

The latest update, called Legendary and they don't have the material. Original has the material but they are backed up a couple of weeks before they can process the order. Talked to Kim at SMS and they have everything, so SMS it is. I'm getting a pre made headliner and that takes four weeks.

Why not, I can always get a new one or two or three. I'm gonna finish this car one way or another.

Most of originals material and product came from bulk buys from the automotive industry itself. They even have a few complete OEM seat covers available. They do source from SMS also. Not a distributor though.

Is ORIGINAL "originalauto.com"? I requested samples from SMS and want to see what Original has to offer as well - thanks

Yes it's the same place, both places were quick to send out samples. I did get through to SMS and placed an order. I received my material about ten days later.

The material and then take it to someone to do the work sewing it up. The material is ordered in yards and you go from there. I do know that they will emboss the material if that was how the original was in your car.

tbm3fan, is that bench seat pictured your seat? If so, I'm in the bay area also. Who reupholstered it and if you don't mind my asking what did they charge?

tbm3fan, is that bench seat pictured your seat? If so, I'm in the bay area also. Who reupholstered it and if you don't mind my asking what did they charge?

When that was done there were two guys recommended to me at the time. One had your typical shop in Walnut Creek and he quoted me $900 to do the seat with me supplying the material. Ouch!

The second guy works out of his house and he quoted me $600 to do the same job including foam padding. He does get lots of business. In talking he learned that I did a lot of work on restoring the Hornet. His Dad served on the USS Astoria during WWII. When I brought the Polara over to him he told me another customer, who volunteered on the Hornet, dropped a car off. He asked if he knew me and the guy said oh yeah he is the one really picky about restoring the ship correctly. He then did a great job fabricating the Polaras new headliner and vinyl roof. Hopefully he will be getting the big Merc to do a new vinyl top soon. The best part is his name: Forrest Steele in Concord

I ordered materials from SMS three months ago. They match 100% to original materials. Fast shipping and everything went well.

Back