Where's the oil gallery installing timing chain cover

Bluemike

Reaction score
Hi folks; I replaced my timing chain (WOW, I could almost lift it off the sprocket), installing the cover, the gasket set has a 12 cent "Oil gallery seal", a small flat O ring.
Where does this go? Young and dumb 30 years ago I just ignored and tossed this, but hey I paid for it I'd like to use it.
Also; I didn't drop the oil pan, when I reinstall the cover will a generous amount of RTV red serve to seal where the cover sits on top of the front of the oil pan, or should I fashion a cork seal? I'd wonder if the RTV would wash out from being in oil so much. I'm grateful for you friends who help me out, thank you.

GOD BLESS our nation's Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guard. May they return home to a grateful nation. THANK YOU to all our veterans

My pic is of my nephew Wayne, who loved racing and drove only Mopars. At 50 years old he completed his work upon this earth and was called home.

OK. You should have a rubber gasket between the cover and oil pan. The small seal I'm not sure what it would be for? Do you have a picture? Did you also replace the front main seal in the cover? Whenever I changed the front cover without replacing the rubber gasket between the cover and pan I always used ATV sealant.

Been a long time since I did a small block timing chain. The o ring seal maybe a seal that goes behind the plate that holds the cam in to seal the oil passage that feeds the lifters?

Hi folks; I replaced my timing chain (WOW, I could almost lift it off the sprocket), installing the cover, the gasket set has a 12 cent "Oil gallery seal", a small flat O ring.
Where does this go? Young and dumb 30 years ago I just ignored and tossed this, but hey I paid for it I'd like to use it.
Also; I didn't drop the oil pan, when I reinstall the cover will a generous amount of RTV red serve to seal where the cover sits on top of the front of the oil pan, or should I fashion a cork seal? I'd wonder if the RTV would wash out from being in oil so much. I'm grateful for you friends who help me out, thank you.

GOD BLESS our nation's Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guard. May they return home to a grateful nation. THANK YOU to all our veterans
On my 383 it is behind the timing chain cover, on the face of the block outside of the timing chain on the left side. There is an elbow with the opening facing down.

Been a long time since I did a small block timing chain. The o ring seal maybe a seal that goes behind the plate that holds the cam in to seal the oil passage that feeds the lifters?
Must be, I looked high far and wide with no luck. Now if I can just remember where the little yellow "flutes" go that came with the intake gaskets. (?)

Must be, I looked high far and wide with no luck. Now if I can just remember where the little yellow "flutes" go that came with the intake gaskets. (?)
The locators I believe go in the second holes from the front and rear. Look at the head . Look on the bottom intake flange. Self explanatory. Kim

Usually "oil galleys" are sealed with a press-in cup plug or screw-in plugs, not rubber seals. Should that small seal fail, end of oil pressure, basically.

Usually "oil galleys" are sealed with a press-in cup plug or screw-in plugs, not rubber seals. Should that small seal fail, end of oil pressure, basically.
I read "oil galley seal" off the gasket set description. Some folks believed it's behind the cam gear, in or around the thrust plate. I guess it's not too important I haven't seen any disaster stories. Thank you

Back