Where's Waldo

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This picture has been floating around the internet for a little while now.
It is labeled 1957 Sears Parking Lot Show in Lynnwood.
Right away the Rod and Custom Dream Truck caught my eye then I realized that the show has other customs.

The show was 2-1/2 miles from my dads house and he was a big Barris fan as their shop was in the same area. At this time my father was 17 and in no way would he not have been there had he known about it and he would have as he practically lived at the Barris shop. I zoomed and scrolled through this picture and some others taken later in the day, I was not able to find anyone that I felt was him, my mother or his parents. To my dad this would have been his idea of a hot date so that isn't an excuse. The only one was the group to the rear of the Rod and Custom truck, the young lady could easily be my mom, the guy kneeling to her right is not likely him as his hair was still quite blond at that time, the guy to her left could be but again the hair looks a little dark. I tried, still a cool photograph.

CCC-1957-sears-parking-lot-show-01.jpg

CCC-1957-sears-parking-lot-show-right-01.jpg

Alan

I've been a fan of the Dream Truck ever since I first read about it when I was a kid.

For those that don't know the history...

Rod & Custom Magazine's Dream Truck - Kustomrama

This truck was fascinating to me... Take the readers idea and then have a bunch of different customizers do the work. Valley Custom, Barris, Winfield... Dean Jefferies and Larry Watson both painted it at different times.

Putting things in perspective... This pic is from 1957, so the 2 cars flanking the Dream Truck are about 30 years old (looks like a '27 T on the right). That would be like having a 1992 vehicle now. Our cars are 50+ years old!

1656593153914.png

The parking lot was much smaller in 1957. The picture was taken from a house at the east side of the lot. The highlighted area had houses into the 60s, sometime between 63 and 72 the were removed for the parking lot.

View attachment 540957

Alan
Also, those vehicles would never reappear in that lot today. It’s a rough area nowadays.

Also, those vehicles would never reappear in that lot today. It’s a rough area nowadays.
That parking lot is literally (like through he middle of the lot) on the border between Lynnwood and Compton.
It is hit and miss, Southgate where my Father lived isn't that bad, I still wouldn't want to live there.

Alan

That parking lot is literally (like through he middle of the lot) on the border between Lynnwood and Compton.
It is hit and miss, Southgate where my Father lived isn't that bad, I still wouldn't want to live there.

Alan

That area in present day is what I would call "ground zero" for the general south of LA ghetto.

I look back at that area and find it hard to believe I was born there (Lynnwood) and started school, most people don't believe me when I say I'm from the hood.

Alan

Back