Which wheels?

I vote road wheels, we're the volcano style centers used thru 73?? I actually like the shorter button style,but either one is hard to come by in excellent condition it seems

I believe the shorter cap started with the Formal models at least.

I vote for the W23s. It might be a generational thing, but "hub caps" were only for the base model of car. Or for some cheapskate, fwiw. OR for somebody who wanted a "tough look", seeking to emulate a police car, with blackwall tires. In some cases, hub caps look good on black wheels and whitewalls (for accent).

To me, the OEM wheel covers look a bit sedate, whereas the W23s give the car a youthful, energetic, modern look. We know the car could have had them OEM, but the shorter center caps also work in place of the earlier models (many of which had semi-stripped out bolt holes, by observation). Worried about the model year of the center caps, but not using chromed solid lug nuts?

Enjoy!
CBVODY67

Either the road wheels or full hubcaps need a nice white wall.
While the poverty caps/dog dishes only look good with a raised white letter. And that's my two cents.

I've never been a big fan of dog dishes but I have seen some combos where they seem to "suit", usually something with a street brawler vibe, big tires, big motor, not your grandmother's camshaft spec... My 66 had all that and I had Moon discs on it.

I like the Road Wheel look and those factory wheel covers work for me too, not too busy looking like a lot of wheel covers were.

Kevin
IMG_20150630_125954159.jpg

Do all 3. Switch when you like to have that different look. I have both for my 70 Fury. I have the poverty caps with 15x8 in the rear 7's upfront. Did this so I can put together a nice set of road wheels. I now have 3 sets of road wheels and haven't used them at all. I fell in love with the poverty look. You have a beautiful car no matter how you go.

Screenshot_20211206-230001_Photos.jpg

I vote road wheels, we're the volcano style centers used thru 73?? I actually like the shorter button style,but either one is hard to come by in excellent condition it seems
My 1973 Dodge Monaco has volcano style road wheels, so the answer to your question is yes. I think the new style came out with the formals in 1974.

My 1973 Dodge Monaco has volcano style road wheels, so the answer to your question is yes. I think the new style came out with the formals in 1974.

Would you mind sharing some photos of your 73 Monaco - I am not sure I have seen that one before? Or maybe just share them with me by pm if you prefer. Those are one of my favorite models.

The "Volcano" cap was used up to 74...the beveled clip on style arrived in 75 on the Urethane Cordoba wheels and Chrysler standardized their use across to the W23 road wheel.

001.jpg

chrysler-cordoba-t-top-1975-349500.jpg

Last edited:
I vote for the W23s. It might be a generational thing, but "hub caps" were only for the base model of car. Or for some cheapskate, fwiw. OR for somebody who wanted a "tough look", seeking to emulate a police car, with blackwall tires. In some cases, hub caps look good on black wheels and whitewalls (for accent).

To me, the OEM wheel covers look a bit sedate, whereas the W23s give the car a youthful, energetic, modern look. We know the car could have had them OEM, but the shorter center caps also work in place of the earlier models (many of which had semi-stripped out bolt holes, by observation). Worried about the model year of the center caps, but not using chromed solid lug nuts?

Enjoy!
CBVODY67
I'm waiting on a correct appearing lug nut to be delivered.

Would you mind sharing some photos of your 73 Monaco - I am not sure I have seen that one before? Or maybe just share them with me by pm if you prefer. Those are one of my favorite models.
saforwardlook I went with your recommendation of the Nexen tires, Ill put some miles on them and report back.

Thanks for all the comments.
I think I will run the W23's for now, and switch out when feeling a change is needed.

Of your pics I like the dog dishes best, but agree the original full covers and whitewalls are a good look, I also like the idea of changing it up, I haven't run dog dishes on my Newport yet but have run 2 different chrome wheel and the original wheels bare with whitewalls and with wheel covers, I like the original wheel and tire size with whitewalls best

For me, dog dish caps are really hit and miss. They often look good on dark or medium coloured cars with black wheels (like this Monaco) but to me they usually don't look good on body coloured wheels, especially in the lighter or hi-impact colours.
I guess because of the dark colour and the hulking look of the 73 Monaco, I think they look great on the car and would be my first choice.

I like #2 the most and my wife likes #3 the most, but we both agree the black rubber blocks on the bumper need to be removed.

I think I would rate them - #3, #1, #2, with all of them also getting whitewalls. Like so many others here, I remember the dog dish covers with blackwall tires almost screaming 'base/cheap car'. That's alright if it is a base model or police package, but your car rates well above base and it deserves tires and wheels that reflects it's status.

Back