Why did you buy your classic Mopar??

I bought mine so I could really enjoy days like today. Day after Thanksgiving and it's 75 and sunny. Can't ask for better weather around here.

Took this about an hour ago....

Snapchat-1588081488.jpg

Bought my first '69 300 for a daily driver, for $300, while the '73 'Cuda was pampered. Well, I've had three '69 300's now, can't say the same about the 'Cuda.........

Because I couldn't justify spending $30k-$50k or more for a B-Body or an E-Body.

Dad always had a nice loaded “C” when i was growing up. Plus i just think they are better built cars than the “B” & “E” bodies with more interesting interiors and a better ride.

Last edited:
I literally cannot remember a time without a big Chrysler Corp product around the house...mostly C's but then R's and M's in the 80's and 90's. Father always had a C body when I was growing up, so I was exposed to Slabs, Fuseys and Formals. Many a Fury/ Polara/ Monaco when money was tighter, a Newport/ New Yorker/ T&C when times were good. He always lusted for an Imperial, but he did not get one until he retired- a used 75 LeBaron 4 dr. It was his retirement gift to himself. I never saw a man more proud of his ride. He owned it until he passed. I still have that car-rotten and beyond hope, but I can't bare to part with Dad's car.
Dad had many company cars that were Fords and GMs and I got to compare them to the family car. I learned early that I was a Mopar man.
As I came of age I went through the pubescent A and B body phase, but came back to C's when I matured because of the memories. I consider myself an Imperial man like my Dad, so that's what I have along with a T&C like the one I my Dad had when I was growing up.

Last edited:
I literally cannot remember a time without a big Chrysler Corp product around the house...mostly C's but then R's and M's in the 80's and 90's. Father always had a C body when I was growing up, so I was exposed to Slabs, Fuseys and Formals. Many a Fury/ Polara/ Monaco when money was tighter, a Newport/ New Yorker/ T&C when times were good. He always lusted for an Imperial, but he did not get one until he retired- a used 75 LeBaron 4 dr. It was his retirement gift to himself. I never saw a man more proud of his ride. He owned it until he passed. I still have that car-rotten and beyond hope, but I can't bare to part with Dad's car.
Dad had many company cars that were Fords and GMs and I got to compare them to the family car. I learned early that I was a Mopar man.
As I came of age I went through the pubescent A and B body phase, but came back to C's when I matured because of the memories. I consider myself an Imperial man like my Dad, so that;s what I have along with a T&C like the one I my Dad had when I was growing up.

And you have and had some nice ones!

Growing up at the edge of the motor city, pops was a clay modeler for Chrysler- Plymouth. The driveway always had something cool in it, mostly Bs and Cs, and vans. Competition was heavy in those days, and our neighborhood was no different with Ford and GM offerings to check out. I got stationed back in the states in 2002 and have had mopars in the driveway ever since. My first C was a 69 fury 4dr HT I got as part of a pkg deal, that I didn't really want. Once it was up and running (burnt valve) I truly enjoyed driving it. I recalled cruising in pops old Cs from my youth, and the rest is history. I no longer hunt for Es, mostly I hunt for FL and Cs, as they have the best in terms of value, style.

After 35 years of ownership, I am now trying to come to terms with the idea of parting with mine

C-body was the only way I could afford a fun-to-drive 4-speed Mopar. Four years ago I was able to drive my Plymouth home from the seller's house 80 miles away (45 mph tops on 25-year-old tires/brakes, but I was determined). I couldn't touch an A-, B- or E-body for anywhere close to what I paid for the Sport Fury. Truth is, if the money tree in the back yard ever produces fruit (seriously, I'm thinking of taking the tree back), I might just spring for a *gasp* '70 GTX......

I am drawn to '66 Furys though, as I grew up in the back seat of a 4-door HT Fury VIP 383 2-bbl. The parents bought it in '67 and kept it for 20 years. That car turned me into a Mopar guy and I learned the fine arts of oil changes, points adjustment, and brake jobs on it with Dad's nurturing.

Previous Mopars of mine over the years were a '61 300-G 413 long ram, '65 Barracuda hi-po 273 4-spd, and '70 RR 383, but they were bought (and, regretfully, sold) way back when they were still affordable.

Growing up at the edge of the motor city, pops was a clay modeler for Chrysler- Plymouth. The driveway always had something cool in it, mostly Bs and Cs, and vans. Competition was heavy in those days, and our neighborhood was no different with Ford and GM offerings to check out. I got stationed back in the states in 2002 and have had mopars in the driveway ever since. My first C was a 69 fury 4dr HT I got as part of a pkg deal, that I didn't really want. Once it was up and running (burnt valve) I truly enjoyed driving it. I recalled cruising in pops old Cs from my youth, and the rest is history. I no longer hunt for Es, mostly I hunt for FL and Cs, as they have the best in terms of value, style.

I lived in the same type of neighborhood. I lot of execs with cool company cars. As kids we picked our friends by car make. (Where their dad worked) Other mopar families first and an occasional GM family. Ford kids were on their own!

Honestly, I bought my first 70 SF because I thought it was a cool looking car and it was relatively inexpensive and was driveable. I bought the 2nd one because I regretted selling the 1st. :D

I lived in the same type of neighborhood. I lot of execs with cool company cars. As kids we picked our friends by car make. (Where their dad worked) Other mopar families first and an occasional GM family. Ford kids were on their own!

It was an exciting time and place to grow up in

My dad worked at a Pontiac dealership in the 60s and I hung around there a lot. In the fall when the new models came out I would go to the new car shows and build scrap books with all the brochures. I knew every make and model and all their standard and optional features. Had my share of muscle cars in the early 70s but the only Mopar was a 69 coronet 500 which I ended up trading plus $700 for a 69 gto. Fast forward 40 years and my son becomes a Mopar nut. His ideal 68 charger was out of our league and we agreed that a plain jane project was a good place to start. In 2012 we found this Fury I with an excellent body. In retrospect I probably spent as much on this one as his charger would have cost, but its been a great experience and I love the end result. Now my sights are at the other end of the spectrum waiting for the right big *** luxury C to come along.

Back in the early 70s when I was at the age of 13 in 1973 I was at my grandfathers house. He was given this 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury by his son. ( my uncle ) He bought it new. I would clean the car for him thinking to myself I would love to have a car like it when I get older. Well at the age of about 52 I traded my other uncle a truck for it and later he gave me the truck back. The car still runs great and has about 74,000 miles on it.

1966 Sport Fury.jpg

I have had a several of the gm 60's and early 70's cars and wanted something different. I came across this 66 Sport Fury and loved the lines of the car. Picked it up about 3 years ago and love it.

469.jpg

471.png

514.png

Last edited:
I was raised in a Plymouth household and in the early 1970s when I was learning to drive my parents had a 1967 Fury III 4 door sedan with the 383 4bbl and a column shift 727. I love all of the Mopars, and my first love was Road Runners and I owned a Superbird from 1989 to 2010. Back in the 1990s I decided I wanted a convertible, too, but I could never bring myself to pay the high prices being asked for nice A body, B body and E body convertibles. However, I was able to find a nice 1968 Sport Fury convertible with just 45,000 original miles and loaded with options (ordered new as a dealer demo by a dealership in Vermont) for a reasonable price, so I jumped on it. I bought my Sport Fury back in June of 2004, and my brother and I drove it across the country to my home in central California. It purred like a kitten the entire way, over 2,000 miles, including stretches where my brother was rolling at 90mph for hours at a time. I just had a bunch of refresh work done earlier this year, including a set of disc brakes from a '73 Chrysler, and I plan to be driving it for many, many years to come. It still purrs like a kitten and it drives like a dream, and because the interiors of the '68s are almost identical to the '67s, I feel like a 15 year old kid again every time I hop in it. That alone makes it worthwhile!
photo (4).JPG

I was raised in a Plymouth household and in the early 1970s when I was learning to drive my parents had a 1967 Fury III 4 door sedan with the 383 4bbl and a column shift 727. I love all of the Mopars, and my first love was Road Runners and I owned a Superbird from 1989 to 2010. Back in the 1990s I decided I wanted a convertible, too, but I could never bring myself to pay the high prices being asked for nice A body, B body and E body convertibles. However, I was able to find a nice 1968 Sport Fury convertible with just 45,000 original miles and loaded with options (ordered new as a dealer demo by a dealership in Vermont) for a reasonable price, so I jumped on it. I bought my Sport Fury back in June of 2004, and my brother and I drove it across the country to my home in central California. It purred like a kitten the entire way, over 2,000 miles, including stretches where my brother was rolling at 90mph for hours at a time. I just had a bunch of refresh work done earlier this year, including a set of disc brakes from a '73 Chrysler, and I plan to be driving it for many, many years to come. It still purrs like a kitten and it drives like a dream, and because the interiors of the '68s are almost identical to the '67s, I feel like a 15 year old kid again every time I hop in it. That alone makes it worthwhile!
View attachment 155553

OMG, I want to see more pics of this car!

Back in the early 70s when I was at the age of 13 in 1973 I was at my grandfathers house. He was given this 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury by his son. ( my uncle ) He bought it new. I would clean the car for him thinking to myself I would love to have a car like it when I get older. Well at the age of about 52 I traded my other uncle a truck for it and later he gave me the truck back. The car still runs great and has about 74,000 miles on it.

View attachment 155231
Great story. how about some more pictures.

well here is some of the broken parts out of my a727 cable shifter trans out of my 64 d100 . maybe the 383 is to hot for it , lol ;) .
DSC01436.JPG
DSC01437.JPG
DSC06665.JPG
DSC09262.JPG

Back