Wide Whites for my '77 NYB

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Looking at these for replacing the 40 y/o Goodyear Arrivas. I wants the wide whites and I'm not going to spend $300 bucks a tire for whatever the tire-police recommend. If it meets DOT, it's good enough for me. Anyone have them? Any other ideas in the sub $150 range?

1691368598748.png

1691368467442.png

Good heavens! An H-rated whitewall tire!!

I'm just wondering how many of the whitewalls the Asian companies are building? If it's a limited run or if they are "regular production"?

I'm just wondering how many of the whitewalls the Asian companies are building? If it's a limited run or if they are "regular production"?
For the life of me, I don't know why a big tire company doesn't just run a boutique-line to add WW and letters to just about any tire. Its basically one extra labor steep with a tiny material cost and engineering that might be a weeks worth of pay for one guy.

Looking at these for replacing the 40 y/o Goodyear Arrivas. I wants the wide whites and I'm not going to spend $300 bucks a tire for whatever the tire-police recommend. If it meets DOT, it's good enough for me. Anyone have them? Any other ideas in the sub $150 range?

View attachment 609932

View attachment 609931
A few of the cars at the WPC meet this weekend were using the viture formal style white walls. I asked about the tires and I was told smooth, balanced and look correct. Only complaint is the white wall absorbs the brown from tire. Like what the T/A tires do now.

For the life of me, I don't know why a big tire company doesn't just run a boutique-line to add WW and letters to just about any tire. Its basically one extra labor steep with a tiny material cost and engineering that might be a weeks worth of pay for one guy.
I would love a good set of Michelin narrow white wall. I have Michelin on my truck and they are a great tire. I was looking at the Michelin tires with raised white letters, if you mounted on a tire machine and a random orbital sander you would get yourself some good formal Chrysler white walls. Letters look to be the size white wall your asking for, heck most raised whites are that size.

I would love a good set of Michelin narrow white wall. I have Michelin on my truck and they are a great tire. I was looking at the Michelin tires with raised white letters, if you mounted on a tire machine and a random orbital sander you would get yourself some good formal Chrysler white walls. Letters look to be the size white wall your asking for, heck most raised whites are that size.
I actually have done that before, to good effect with 60 series RWL, but it's a bunch of time I just don't have at the moment.

Is a 225/70 tall enough for a NYB?
If so, does a 1.37" WW on a 70-series then make the WW look too big?

Vitour - I have seen their offerings but no knowledge of the quality.

Vercelli - same as Vitour.
But I talked to a guy at the last CATL that had Vercelli blackwalls on his 72 Polara and he liked them had them on for 1-2 years IIRC.
I had seen Vercelli before during my WW tires search, although I don't know if they have a wider WW like the 1.37.

There's a Coker Travelstar tire but is only an 18mm whitewall. But is in the price range.
1691512152916.png

@saforwardlook did some reporting that there's a newer Nexen tire he really likes/endorses. The WW might not be wide enough for your desire, but is a ~$125 tire.
I didn't read the first topic in this search, maybe you've already read it?

Search results for query: nexen

Is a 225/70 tall enough for a NYB?
If so, does a 1.37" WW on a 70-series then make the WW look too big?

Vitour - I have seen their offerings but no knowledge of the quality.

Vercelli - same as Vitour.
But I talked to a guy at the last CATL that had Vercelli blackwalls on his 72 Polara and he liked them had them on for 1-2 years IIRC.
I had seen Vercelli before during my WW tires search, although I don't know if they have a wider WW like the 1.37.

There's a Coker Travelstar tire but is only an 18mm whitewall. But is in the price range.
View attachment 610170

@saforwardlook did some reporting that there's a newer Nexen tire he really likes/endorses. The WW might not be wide enough for your desire, but is a ~$125 tire.
I didn't read the first topic in this search, maybe you've already read it?

Search results for query: nexen
Travel Star is a brand you can get at Discount Tire, perhaps without the Coker markup. But you're right that is narrower than what I am looking for.

Back