Windlace/windcord installation

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I got my windlace for the Imperial this week. The problem is that I really don't know how it's installed! Some of my old windlace still exists on the car, but there isn't much hint on how it actually goes in that narrow slot that runs from the top of the A-pillar, down along the door opening, under the sill plate, then back up along the back of the door opening up to the window.

On my 66 Newport, after taking off the door card, it was very evident how to install or remove the windlace. Try removing the doorcard and see if that helps demystify things a bit. Good luck!

I am doing mine right now on my 67 300 vert. Bit of trial and error to get them right. You need to take the door cards off, and you will see that the "leg" on the windlace, (the flat part of the cloth about 5/8th inch wide), is gripped in the "jaws" of the clips that hold them. I found the clips quite easy to take out, but not so easy to reinstall. You will need about 1/1/2 inches of extra windlace at the top to tuck into the gap right under the end of the door cards and I left about 4 inches at the bottom to go under the sill plate. I tucked a sufficient length of windlace into that gap at the top just to get the fitting correct, took the door card back off and then installed the clips from the top down. While installing the clips, I found it easier to place them in the right spot on the windlace, squeeze the little "jaws" on the clip onto the "leg" until it held the windlace firmly, and then pushed the clips into the holes that secure them. On my 300 there are five of these clips on each side. What I did find, however, was that the clips after the original removal had to be gently bent with needle nose pliers to get them to fit back in the original holes, but they were still sloppy, so I drilled little pilot holes through the inside sheet metal, and secured each clip with little pan head phillips screw. Once I was at the bottom, I fitted the end of the windlace under the sill plate to get the right length, then trimmed off the end to the right length.
I have to admit that I thought seriously about gluing the windlace into the slot, as I don't intend to do it again in my lifetime, but decided on this route instead. In the first photo you can see where the top 1 inch or so of the windlace is tucked under the end of the door card. In the second is the clip that holds the windlace in. The "jaws" are on the left. Hope this helps.

IMG_0256[1].JPG

IMG_0258[1].JPG

Here's what I have currently on the driver's side. Not seeing any clips, but I haven't got the kick panels or the inner quarter trim removed yet.

IMG_20230503_211151410.jpg

IMG_20230503_211134578.jpg

IMG_20230503_211123278.jpg

IMG_20230503_211055934.jpg

IMG_20230503_211032930.jpg

IMG_20230503_211110216.jpg

On the "B-pillar" it is stapled to some sort of black very thick cardboard. If anyone knows the trade name, please post it. Picture from my '66 Imp below.
Please update the thread with your progress as I am facing the same job in the near future :thumbsup: .

IMG_9503.jpg

Back