windshield replacement

67 ragtop

Reaction score
I am replacing the windshield in my 67 Sport Fury convertible and need the gasket. I have prices on line from $252 Steele rubber corp. to $90. Bobs Classic Auto Glass has it for $215. Any Ideas as to what the difference is? Restoration parts has it for 195 and 90.
I have called a couple of them and the person on the phone doesn't have a clue. I want to make sure I have what the glass place needs to install the windshield.
They are having me remove all of the trim around the windshield. Or they will charge me straight hourly rate to remove it. 2 glass shops wouldn't touch it.

The shops are afraid of damaging the trim.
Ask the names of the gasket manufacturers and check out their websites.

The Steele gasket is made in the USA, where the $90 ones are likely Precision gaskets that at least used to be made in Taiwan, but could possibly be from China these days.

precision windshiled gaskets.JPG

It's likely that they will both fit fine. You just want to make sure that you don't pay $200 for a Precision gasket when you can get one for half that.

You need to know what you are doing to get the windshield trim off without damaging it. Be sure to ask for tips if you haven't done that before.

Jeff

The Steele gasket is made in the USA, where the $90 ones are likely Precision gaskets that at least used to be made in Taiwan, but could possibly be from China these days.

View attachment 497738
It's likely that they will both fit fine. You just want to make sure that you don't pay $200 for a Precision gasket when you can get one for half that.

You need to know what you are doing to get the windshield trim off without damaging it. Be sure to ask for tips if you haven't done that before.

Jeff
The Precision seal states without trim groove as do at least one of the of the $90 seals. But Precision is out of stock, Precisions price is $131.00 How important is the trim groove?

I used Precision gaskets in my 65 Barracuda with no issues at all.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Steele and Precision pieces were the same part, built by the same vendor etc. I could be wrong too...

Okay I have my windshield on order to be delivered to the glass shop and the molding in my hand. Now I need to remove the trim and get it ready for the glass shop. I have looked in my 1967 Plymouth service manual and cannot find anything on it. I can find it for the side windows and every other window. I have looked through the entire body and frame. nowhere do they mention the Windshield or back glass. This is a 67 Plymouth Fury Convertible. The service manual is the 1967 Plymouth service manual. Perhaps I am not looking in the correct section. I have both the paper manual and the PDF version.
I found it in the manual, in body and frame page 101. i will still need help it just says remove trim.

Last edited:
Here's a few videos that should give you a pretty good idea of what you need to do:

There's also a quick and dirty way to do it:
1. Remove the lower trim and cowl cover
2. Cut the windshield gasket flush with the trim and remove that part of the gasket.
3. Push the windshield out of the opening
4. Pull out the rest of the gasket
5. Remove the trim. Very easy now that you have direct access to all the clips.

Jeff

Here's a few videos that should give you a pretty good idea of what you need to do:

There's also a quick and dirty way to do it:
1. Remove the lower trim and cowl cover
2. Cut the windshield gasket flush with the trim and remove that part of the gasket.
3. Push the windshield out of the opening
4. Pull out the rest of the gasket
5. Remove the trim. Very easy now that you have direct access to all the clips.

Jeff

Thanks! I will order the trim removal tools. I have the plastic pry tools if I can find them. I last used them on my Granddaughter's car to put a radio in. down in Austin.

Thanks! I will order the trim removal tools. I have the plastic pry tools if I can find them. I last used them on my Granddaughter's car to put a radio in. down in Austin.
I am having issues getting the trim off. I have watched them until I am blue in the face. I have all of the convertible specific chrome around the windshield area off per the service manual and the cowl is off. I got two clips off on the passenger side side trim. I am wondering if I am coming from the wrong side.? I am coming at it from the glass side.
Here are some pictures of where I am at and the tools I am using . I also have a small fork tip and on fork tip pry bars. I used those on the bottom trim as it used different clips.

20211130_172827.jpg

20211130_172814.jpg

20211130_172600.jpg

20211130_172514.jpg

Getting that trim off can be very difficult. It takes a lot of practice to get the right technique down to pop those clips loose. One big problem is that the more you mess with a particular clip, the more it will dig into the trim and grip even tighter.

You are doing it correctly by coming in from the glass side of the trim.

As I mentioned before, you can do things in reverse order by cutting the gasket. You cut on the yellow line along the trim and remove the section colored in purple. You can push the glass out, pull out the rest of the gasket, then pop all the trim off.

windshield gasket.JPG

Jeff

I have another question now that my windshield has been replaced. The glass shop could not get the trim pieces back on, due to an extra flap of rubber on the new molding that the original doesn't have. The Windshield looks great but that extra flap is creating an issue. The glass shop finished taking off the trim. He cut the window out then removed the trim. Any ideas on how to get the trim to mount? I have thought about cutting the flap off but that kind of scares me. The molding is a precision piece.

20211215_182803.jpg

20211215_182757.jpg

I don't know what to tell you about the extra flap on the gasket.

It seems like it would be impossible, but is there any chance that they installed the gasket inside-out? There should be a flap on the inside that hides the bolts that mount the dash.

Otherwise, you may have to carefully trim the gasket to get the mouldings to fit.

I have lots of experience taking these cars apart, but not nearly as much putting things back together, so this is something that I've never run across before.

Jeff

No doubt in my mind, the gasket is not installed correctly.

It should lay flat all the way around. Squinting at the pics, it looks like it hasn't been installed over the pinch weld correctly, instead sitting on top of it.

I am replacing the windshield in my 67 Sport Fury convertible and need the gasket. I have prices on line from $252 Steele rubber corp. to $90. Bobs Classic Auto Glass has it for $215. Any Ideas as to what the difference is? Restoration parts has it for 195 and 90.
I have called a couple of them and the person on the phone doesn't have a clue. I want to make sure I have what the glass place needs to install the windshield.
They are having me remove all of the trim around the windshield. Or they will charge me straight hourly rate to remove it. 2 glass shops wouldn't touch it.
Who did you purchase your glass from

Back