Wrong size air filter O_O

jct

Reaction score
Apparently I should be using a 3.5" air filter instead of a 2¾" air filter that I have been using for the past 6 years @_@

Interesting. When we purchased our '68 300 it also had the wrong air filter. There was about a 1/2" gap between the element and the housing. Our car has the 440 TNT filter housing with the twin snorkels.

Interesting. When we purchased our '68 300 it also had the wrong air filter. There was about a 1/2" gap between the element and the housing. Our car has the 440 TNT filter housing with the twin snorkels.
Which is the same filter as the 2bbl 383 takes.

Fram CA127 is for the snorkeled air cleaners common to the 63-68 Chrysler B/RB V-8s, going all the way to 1978.

Fram CA305 is for the un-snorkeled air cleaners during similar model years and later years B/RB V-8s with snorkeled air cleaners. "Unsnorkeled" as in 1968 Road Runner air cleaners or similar ones. This is the shorter filter element and probably what you had in there.

Just because no auto supply might not have one does NOT mean they are completely unavailable, although their model year coverage is certainly not "late model" by normal standards. Certainly by other brands other than Fram, too, as possibly in Purolator or Wix/NAPA? Find somebody who can get you one or order online (as in Rock Auto or similar). Being in/near Indy, there should be some of the larger auto supply distribution centers close by. There used to be a big NAPA store on the west loop, "in the county" rather than "the city", as I recall from staying out there when attending Mopar Nats when it was at Brownsburg, but that was over 20 years ago. How time FLIES!

AND . . . do not over-torque the wingnut!!! Just snug it down.

CBODY67

Last edited:
That's the napa I hit up first, the O'Reilly's in brownsburg with the distribution center across the street with the will call office, and the car quest (advanced auto) on girl school road near the airport. Only place I found it in stock is auto zone on 38th and high school road (the new distribution center store)

I should have checked the forum before ordering a NAPA Gold 2044 air filter, but thought I would be safe with such an idiot proof part. Well, this one is also 2.75" tall and too short for the housing (1971 w/ 440).

The only others that NAPA and Rockauto show are FRAM CA127 (out of stock) and Baldwin AF73 / PA693 (call store for availability), 3.5" height. :confused:

Edit: K&N website indicates p/n E-1540 - 3.5" high x 12.5" OD x 11" ID filter as the replacement for this vehicle.

Last edited:
The CA127 fits LOTS of Chrysler B/RB engines. Even the '68 Road Runner unsilenced air cleaner, plus the 1966-era 383 2bbls and such.

Use the dimensional specs and see if NAPA has something to match it and can get it.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks....
Also listed for that same application is the bunk filter that I ended up with:

WIX 42044 Info
One of our most popular parts

Fits 2Bbl
or Base Model Engine VIN G; Custom Engine VIN G

Could this be for an LA engine?

Last edited:
42044 is the short filter.
42043 is the tall filter.
If you don't want to order from Rock, take correct number to your ma and Pa parts store and have them order it.

I should have checked the forum before ordering a NAPA Gold 2044 air filter, but thought I would be safe with such an idiot proof part. Well, this one is also 2.75" tall and too short for the housing (1971 w/ 440).

The only others that NAPA and Rockauto show are FRAM CA127 (out of stock) and Baldwin AF73 / PA693 (call store for availability), 3.5" height. :confused:

Edit: K&N website indicates p/n E-1540 - 3.5" high x 12.5" OD x 11" ID filter as the replacement for this vehicle.
Your engine is the same as Medina's, my T-code 1971 Monaco. And yet, interestingly, the WIX 42043 air filter is shown by Summit as fitting your NYer but not my Dodge (I use the WIX 42044 on that car without any issue, which is the same one that RockAuto also recommends -- surprisingly, it seems -- for your car).

Following this post, I am going with the 42043 for Buttercup, my 1972 NYB (that is the number shown by RA and Summit both for my car, too).

(Edit: see post 17 below, I got a 42044 filter for Buttercup in 2020 and it fits, so I will be buying a 42044 filter again)

Last edited:
You can put the factory seven digit number into RockAuto and it should give you options.
The Fram website has a competitor lookup, works with factory numbers.

Alan

Your engine is the same as Medina's, my T-code 1971 Monaco. And yet, interestingly, the WIX 42043 air filter is shown by Summit as fitting your NYer but not my Dodge (I use the WIX 42044 on that car without any issue, which is the same one that RockAuto also recommends -- surprisingly, it seems -- for your car).

Following this post, I am going with the 42043 for Buttercup, my 1972 NYB (that is the number shown by RA and Summit both for my car, too).
Interesting that the Dodge air cleaner would be 3/4" shorter than the NY.... lower hood perhaps?

Interesting that the Dodge air cleaner would be 3/4" shorter than the NY.... lower hood perhaps?
Actually, I checked my orders, and it turns out that I used a WIX 42044 in BOTH Buttercup and Medina. Both have the T-code engine. Both have filters (42044) that fit perfectly as per @71Polara383 and @david hill

So I am ordering a 42044 -- it will be installed at the time when David gets Buttercup back to install a new Waldron dual exhaust and does an oil and oil/air filter change, in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Back